When did your DC start sleeping in their room on a bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2006, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
MBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking about transitioning DD to a futon on her floor instead of the crib for naps and evenutally sleeping alone at night. She is only 10 months. i am not ready for her to sleep alone at night, but when is she old enough> Some people do this at 1 1/2 years old, I think. Your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 02:04 AM

I just transitioned my 11 month old dd the floor from her crib which was side carred to our bed then we had to put the rail up for safety. I moved her because I just couldn't lift her anymore over the railing from our bed. Our dd is VERY active and safety is a huge issue with her being awake on our bed. She literally stands up and walks on our bed within seconds of waking. Leaping over us not a problem. I just put her crib mattress on the floor. I love it because if she wakes crying before we go to bed my dh or I can just go settle her with out lifting her out of bed. I almost use it as the new cosleeping bed. Her bed is still in our room and will be for some time. I want to get a single bed for her so I can have naps with her more comfortably.
I miss her a lot being in our bed. She would usually stay in bed with me after her morning feeding around 4 or 5 but now she tosses and turns until I put her on her own bed. I think it's because she sleeps on her stomach at night and side for naps and in our bed she can't go on to her stomach.
We were travelling the other weekend and she slept with us for two nights. The first night she tossed and turned all night and at one point lept up and banged her head on the headboard. The next night we had a bigger bed and she could stretch out more and slept better. Other nights I've caught her by her ankle as she is leaping out of bed. Yikes! Now she still stands on her mattress and walks on it but it's safe.
Like I said I miss sleeping with her and it has decreased that amount. I do love the fact she can get up and go to her bed whenever she wants and doesn't need me to get her up. In the day she will go and sit on her bed and play. Okay I'll stop now.
All the best with your decision.
Marlee

Mama to two beautiful children. 

Old 04-26-2006, 10:52 AM

At 20 months and then again at 3 1/2!!

I moved my dd into her own bed in her own room at 20 months. She slept in there for a few months but then eventually, after a few months, she was back in bed with me! I think she liked the newness of the room and pretty bed. So she's been sleeping with me until about a month ago when I moved her pretty bed into my room and now she sleeps there. I still have to lay down with her and have spent some uncomfortable hours in the twin crammed against the bedrail (since I usually fall asleep with her) but eventually she'll go to bed on her own. I'm not too concerned about it.

I think you shouldn't be too concerned about when other people do it. I slept with my daughter until over the age of three. Others co-sleep much longer. It's really what works for you and your family. My dd doesn't want to sleep alone in a room so I turned her bedroom into a playroom and office. Works great for us. I don't have privacy issues as I'm single and not dating.

As for when she's old enough is an individual decision. IMHO, I would start her out in her own bed in your room before putting her in a room by herself. Don't stress about this. Do what feels right to you!

Lisa mom to Gillian (7) : and three : :

User Tag List