I hid a copy of 'Babywise' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was perusing pregnancy and parenting books at a local bookstore this evening. While checking out their less-than-impressive collection (only one Sears book, for example!) a copy of 'Babywise' stared me right in the face. Gag.

I realized it might stare frustrated, sleep-deprived parents in the face as well, so I waited until the coast was clear and stashed it behind some Barbara Coloroso books :

I'd like to think that I might have saved a baby from a terrible and traumatic experience - at least until the staff finds the book. I think I'll go back in a few days and do it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 11:44 PM

LOL! Now that's not "right!" : I do it all the time! Of course they're probably fixed at the end of the day but I feel better for the moment!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 PM

Bwa ha ha. I do the same thing!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
Old 06-05-2006, 11:54 PM

Good for you! That's part of my normal routine when we go to the bookstore. That and facing out the AP books.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 PM

I have done that to "what to expect" at the local gently used shop. and of course pulled all the LLL books to the front
Old 06-06-2006, 12:00 AM

i hide or put the "word to the wise" papers inside

dust.gif
Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
Good for you! That's part of my normal routine when we go to the bookstore. That and facing out the AP books.
I'm guilty of doing this as well.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I love that I'm not the only one who does this! Next time I'm going to make the AP books more prominent as well. They're often hiding on a bottom shelf between a few icky books.

However, there is one local bookstore - a big chain, at that - which proudly displays Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding. That always makes me smile
Old 06-06-2006, 12:08 AM

I have hidden the "wise " books before too.

Makes me feel accomplished for the day!

Old 06-06-2006, 12:12 AM

I like to move books like that to the FICTION or HORROR sections!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
:

Whatever will be, already is...

Old 06-06-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:

OP and others...

As someone who worked for a large chain bookstore a few years back, trust me... books that get misplaced behind others *often* don't get put back in the right place. If they are behind the counter or up front or left on a table, they will. But otherwise... closing at night requires too much time to do the restocking of things left in the open or up front to bother with going through the individual sections. We went through the individual sections 3 times a year, so hey, the copy of BW could remain hidden for several months if that store works like the other 2 that I worked at.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:08 AM

I must say, as one who read and tried babywise, and has since returned the book, I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat. That book caused nothing but heartache, trouble and discontent (to put it mildly) in this house. I hate it. So good for you!! I think I'll do the same next time I see one!

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
Old 06-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleria
I was perusing pregnancy and parenting books at a local bookstore this evening. While checking out their less-than-impressive collection (only one Sears book, for example!) a copy of 'Babywise' stared me right in the face. Gag.

I realized it might stare frustrated, sleep-deprived parents in the face as well, so I waited until the coast was clear and stashed it behind some Barbara Coloroso books :

I'd like to think that I might have saved a baby from a terrible and traumatic experience - at least until the staff finds the book. I think I'll go back in a few days and do it again
Our Chapters store only had ONE Dr Sears book...but like a kazillion copies of Babywise...stupid book. Me and DH went around and "redistributed" them throughout the store.

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM

http://www.ezzo.info/trifoldbrochure.pdf

here's a brochure to print out and slide in between pages :
Old 06-06-2006, 12:31 PM

When I was in our local Borders a month or so ago, I noticed that 'Babywise' was displayed in a prominent position with a few other chosen parenting titles. I took it down and took it over to the nearest employee and told her in a pleasant but concerned voice that I was really surprised to see this book on display like that, was Borders not aware that the AAP recommends against this book? She was not - what could she say to that? - and I very briefly (like 2 sentences) filled her in on the main complaints, that it could lead to FTT, etc. She seemed very concerned and the next time I came in it was NOT on display. So, even with a major chain, don't be afraid to bring the recommendation against this book to the staff's attention.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

At the borders near my house there's a sizable selection of ezzo books. I think they'd notice if they were missing. There's a whole shelf devoted to what to expect. I guess I should take solace that the Sears collection has a good representation too.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 06-06-2006, 02:09 PM

I always relocate Babywise when I see it, but I like NorasMama's suggestion even better. It would probably have a more lasting effect.

I also bought a copy : just so I could use it as a bad example in my prenatal classes. New parents need to be forewarned.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went to a used bookstore last night with a good-sized parenting section. There were NO Ezzo books! And there were about 10 Dr. Sears books! Yay! I did see a couple of the What to Expect books, but I'm much more ok with those than with Ezzo!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 06-06-2006, 02:21 PM

I am no fan of the Ezzo books or the WTEWYE series. However, book stores carry what people want. Sadly, people want these books. If sales dwindled of these books, believe me, the bookstores would carry more books that people would buy.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 06-06-2006, 02:35 PM

I hide all of ezzos books every time I see them. I also cover them with books I think are better for babies. Even if it stares one parent in a better/safer direction that's good enough for me.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 06-06-2006, 02:52 PM

On a slightly different note, I always buy the sears books that I find in thrift stores and give them to pregnant co-workers/friends. As long as they're okay with something used, it's easy to just throw it out there casually - I found this for a quarter and it was really helpful to me when B was young.

One used it as justification/support for co-sleeping when her hubby thought it was weird and the other thought it was great that it showed how to use a sling etc. and was so comprehensive. My hope is that if they refer to it at least once and find it helpful it will become their default reference.

Now I'm going to start hiding the not so nice childhood books in the home repair section.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Ya'll are all such good people compared to me!
one time at my local used bookstore (called Maranatha bookstore with an incredible large rtomance novel section if you cna believe that...)
I found 3 Ezzo books.
i bought them , brought them home, and added them to my trash when i was cleaning out my fridge.:
Old 06-06-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora'sMama
So, even with a major chain, don't be afraid to bring the recommendation against this book to the staff's attention.
Thanks for bringing that up! I do this every time I see them at our local library book sales and they promptly toss them in the bin but have never thought to do it at book stores!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmama
I am no fan of the Ezzo books or the WTEWYE series. However, book stores carry what people want. Sadly, people want these books. If sales dwindled of these books, believe me, the bookstores would carry more books that people would buy.
I've only worked in small book shops and that's certainly likely to be the case in those (because we had many regulars and they were mostly academics who did a lot of special ordering, so we stocked to cater to their tastes). However, my own experience as a parent tells me that parenting books are much more subject to being browsed than many other kinds of books (where people come in knowing what they're looking for). Ezzo books look appealing to people because they promise results so I imagine people who come in looking for just *anything* are drawn to them and buy them for that reason which, in turn, causes book stores to buy more. If they're not obviously availabe, people may not ask for them, and there won't be a need for the book store to purchase more.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Someone please tell me who Ezzo is and what BabyWise is?? :

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:41 PM

Blissful Maia... here's a link.
www.ezzo.info

Here's the AAP's warning against: http://www.ezzo.info/Aney/aapmediaalert.pdf
Old 06-06-2006, 05:04 PM

I am all for hiding the books, putting the word to the wise inserts in, and talking to managment. I don't get buying them to take them home and destroy though....."Ezzo" still gets paid at the end of the day for that. I would rather not put another dime in his pocket.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerafinasMommy
I am all for hiding the books, putting the word to the wise inserts in, and talking to managment. I don't get buying them to take them home and destroy though....."Ezzo" still gets paid at the end of the day for that. I would rather not put another dime in his pocket.
Amen.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 06-06-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerafinasMommy
If you're buying the book new, then yes. But if you're buying the book used or at a library sale, then he's already been paid regardless.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)

User Tag List