safe cosleeping with a mobile baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 6.5 month old dd has recently decided that our bed is an incredibly fun place to roll around and practise crawling. We moved our queen-sized mattress to the floor last night and are thinking of buying a twin mattress to put up against it for dd-- so that she has more room to stretch out, but I can still lay down and nurse/cuddle her to sleep. What I'm trying to figure out, is whether it would be safer to have the mattress squished up against the wall (creating a corner where she could potentially stick her face- so I worry about suffocation), or to keep a couple of feet between the mattress and the wall (meaning that she could, and probably would, roll and drop the 8-10 inches to the floor pretty easily) I kind of like the idea of some sort of mesh or slatted rail on that side to keep her in but not obstruct her breathing- but I don't know how practical or really necessary that is. Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 PM

We just moved our mattress to the floor as well (ds is 5mo), and we have it pushed up against the wall. I rolled up a couple small fleece blankets to fill in the gaps between mattress and wall. Since ds sleeps between us, I don't worry about him getting in the corner. And most of the time he sleeps in weird positions (even on me or in the sling) that make me think he can't possibly breathe, but he always can...and he's mobile enough that he'll move if he can't. If I try to move his head so he gets more air, he moves it right back to the way he had it!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:30 PM

Our bed is in the corner . . . you could put dh on the twin in the corner, then put dd between you and him and dd sleep together on the queen. That way you're in the way of her falling off the bed. We sleep on a king with dd between us--we started out on a queen but felt so squished. The big thing that we did as soon as she got mobile was to teach her how to get off the bed without hurting herself (going backwards).
Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

We generally don't put dd in the middle because dh is a lumbering mountain in his sleep, who tends roll over and throw blankets willy nilly and such :P Also, our mattress is a plush-top, and now that monkey can flip into her tummy (and potentially try to sleep that way if I don't notice and flip her back) I really like the idea of a firmer mattress for her.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:43 PM

Our set up is a little different, but here's what we do. The bed is still in it's frame. We have it pused up to yhe wall, but there's still a gap because of the headboard, so we have a bedrail, too. Now that she's crawling, we put a futon mattress on the floor next to our bed. We put it sideways so it is not quite long enough for me, but I can curl up next to her and nurse her. We also have it partially under our bed so she can't get under our bed. We only use it for naps (when I put her down... I still let her nap in the sling quite a bit) and for the period of time before we go to bed.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:02 AM

DS has now fallen off the bed 4 times. Luckily my body pillow has been right there to cusion him, but STILL, I feel like the worst parent in the world. Do you other cosleepers nurse on both sides at night, or just the side facing inwards? What happens is, we start the night with DS between us. He nurses at like, midnight and goes back to sleep. When he wakes up at 4 AM, I roll over to nurse him on the other side (now I'm in the middle) and because he nurses for so long, I just fall back asleep. But then he jerks himself off the boob and flips over... and off the bed! OMG, I'm so paranoid now, that I don't sleep and keep my arm locked around him.

We've been talking about getting a King, but haven't had the $$... DH goes back onto graveyard shift this week so DS and I have the whole Queen and I'm going to barricade us in with pillows. But hadn't thought to move mattress onto the floor... we have a really nice headboard/footboard... wait, maybe we can sell that on ebay to pay for the King?

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:19 AM

Indiemama, you could try a guardrail or putting your mattress on the floor. We put ours on the box spring when DD was 6 months old (before we had guardrails out of an excess of caution, although she never even came close to rolling off the bed!). We have pillows and comforters on either side stacked up since she has rolled off several times...she has actually rolled off without waking up!

However I am now wondering what to do because I went to check on her this morning during her nap and she was crawling out of the bedroom! She has been practicing getting down off things but I didn't know that she could/would do this...so now I'm not sure what to do for naps!
Old 06-09-2006, 06:18 AM

SweetPotato- I have our bed against the wall, and no guardrails- my babe is now pulling herself up onto everything and they would have been more of a danger than anything. A firm twin mattress against the bed sounds like a great idea- at a certain point they start flipping onto their tummy during the night and there's no stopping it!

Indiemama- Is your bed against the wall? I would recommend you and the babe sleeping in the middle and against the wall, respectively(and vice versa when you switch places). We're just using the mattress on the floor- our frame, box spring, and headboard are all being stored in the garage. I would defintely recommend putting the mattress on the floor.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:18 PM

I've started mastering the art of breastfeeding from either breast while lying on my right side so dd can always remain between me and the bedrail. It's tough, but I feel safer when she's always in one place.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:43 PM

I have also mastered the true and painful (just a sore back in AM) art of nursing from both boobs while baby is in middle. Tricky at first but I can sleep through it now. I actually think it's a little safer...b/c his face is more upward than downward between me and the bad.
Also our matress is on floor but there's a coupole of feet between it and any wall. I am afraid of him getting caught in a crack. Falling off bed would be better:
Old 06-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiemamma
... Do you other cosleepers nurse on both sides at night, or just the side facing inwards? ...
I lay on whatever side feels more comfortable to me. Sometimes I switch sides in the middle of the night. sometimes I dont. However I do switch sides that I am nursing form. I somehow figured out how to nurse from either breast while laying on one side (either side).

if you are afraid about falling off the bed you could fold up a blanket (prefrably a comfortor) and put it by the side of the bed. that way instead of falling 8-10 inches they fall only 4-6 inches onto a very soft surface. Thats what I will be doing once my baby gets more moblie.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom
I've started mastering the art of breastfeeding from either breast while lying on my right side so dd can always remain between me and the bedrail.
Same here. It just requires rolling either him or myself over a little more & having an extra prefold under me so if I'm nursing him on the top breast, the bottom one doesn't get squished and leak all over the bed.

A friend of mine doesn't tuck in her sheets & switches head-to-foot in order to switch sides at night. Baby is still in the middle of the bed, but mom & baby have their heads pointing at the foot of the bed so she can nurse on the other breast.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:44 PM

I like the nursing from both on one side idea... DH was just joking about me doing that the other day since my boobs have gotten so big! We'll try it! And I asked DH about putting the bed on the floor... we'll see this weekend!

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:55 AM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiemamma
DS has now fallen off the bed 4 times. Luckily my body pillow has been right there to cusion him, but STILL, I feel like the worst parent in the world. Do you other cosleepers nurse on both sides at night, or just the side facing inwards? What happens is, we start the night with DS between us. He nurses at like, midnight and goes back to sleep. When he wakes up at 4 AM, I roll over to nurse him on the other side (now I'm in the middle) and because he nurses for so long, I just fall back asleep. But then he jerks himself off the boob and flips over... and off the bed! OMG, I'm so paranoid now, that I don't sleep and keep my arm locked around him.
I only have a twin with a side carred crib. I nurse her off the breast by the side of the bed when I am awake enough and nurse her off the safe side all night long. She's fallen off the bed 3 times I think, but only once was because I was nursing her on that side and she rolled off. When she is nursing on the edge side I tuck my sheet under her to help prevent her from going over. She hasn't fallen off the bed in a while. If it happens again I'm going to put the mattresses on the floor.

Kara

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 06-11-2006, 04:14 AM

Bed and boxspring on floor is a great idea.

Now is the time to teach a mobile baby how to go feet first off a bed! It only took an afternoon to show DS how to do it, and he's done it ever since, even off of very tall hotel beds (we like Westins and they have enormous beds). Just show it to the baby, over and over, making it FUN! Then help baby do it many times, again, making it fun. If babe is anything like my guy, she'll get it quickly.

With a future baby, we're going to get a video monitor for the bed, so that I/we can see when babe starts moving around. I'm just tired of DS meeting me in the hall, or standing at the door crying (before he figured out how to pull it open (we don't close the doors, but we close them over, if that makes sense)), and so on, and plan to have a portable monitor so I can see what future baby is up to. Assuming we ever create future baby.

I nurse from either breast while lying on one side. I actually find it nice to move my body a bit, the position while nursing from the top breast is a nice respite from the position of nursing from the bed-side breast, and vice versa. Of course, the arm that always ends up cocked way above my head is starting to get tired...

We only had the head of our bed against the wall.

Lastly, the only bed-fall that I felt guilty about was the one that happened while I was taking pictures. I watched him heading for the edge and wanted one more picture, and whammo head-first. It was next weekend that we taught him feet-first.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
With a future baby, we're going to get a video monitor for the bed, so that I/we can see when babe starts moving around.
I highly recommend video monitors. We love ours!

User Tag List