Did anyone just skip the crib entirely? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is almost 6 months old. Until now he's been sleeping in our bed or in a bassinet or pnp right nearby. We have been living in a very small apartment with no room for a crib and we wanted to cosleep anyway. But now we're moving to a big house where he'll have his own room (or at least a room for his stuff). I want to have a place for him to sleep alone (for naps, early bedtimes, etc) but don't know if I want to buy a real crib at this point. Is 6 mos. too young for anything else? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:19 AM
Banned

We had a crib but dd never slept in it. Kind of made me sad because I spent so much time finding crib bedding to go with the quilt my mom made. Dd started off in the car seat and then moved to my bed and is there still, at age 3. We packed the crib away a long time ago. Mil bought it so I can't bear to sell it, yet. Maybe we will have another babe who will like the crib. You never know.
#3 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:21 AM

We live in a little one bedroom apartment, too. Our son (almost 10 months) has been in the Co-Sleeper since birth. I love it because my husband is a heavy sleeper and I was worried about him rolling over on the baby when he was brand new (now he just pushes back until Daddy wakes up!). The Co-Sleeper is great because it attaches to the side of your bed and takes up about as much room as a night stand. We've just converted it down into the play yard set up because he was crawling into our bed to wake us up or just to play in the middle of the night : ! So its still right next to our bed, but no longer at the same level and with some boundries between us.

We'll be moving into a two bedroom next month, and I think I'll just keep the Co-Sleeper as his "crib" until he's ready for a big boy bed!

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
#4 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:27 AM

we totally skipped the crib, too. I had a nice play-yard type thing that became a big toy box/laundry hamper for a while and was a good place to put ds while I was vacuuming or bringing in groceries from the car - but he never slept in it.
He went from my bed to a bed with his bro to the bottom bunk bed by himself.
#5 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:34 AM

My dd slept with us until about 6 months, and then moved to her own room and sleeps on a twin matress on the floor that my dh made bumpers for.

I love it! I can lay down with her, nurse her to sleep, and then sneak away. If she wakes in the night, i can lay down with her there comfortably (or just bring her to our bed, which is what I usually do ).

She loves it, too. For naptime, the minute I put her down there she starts giggling because she knows its nurse&nap time.
#6 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:36 AM

I've never owned a crib and I have an almost 4-year-old and a 10-month-old. I've never needed or wanted one. If you want to get your baby his own bed for his room, you could either get him a regular mattress for the floor, or you could buy a crib that converts to a toddler bed. Either way, the furniture will still be useful years down the line even if he continues to sleep with you. Maybe you could get a futon with one of those very short wooden frames (not the ones with legs, just a wooden pallet type base). He would be able to get up and down from it in a pretty short time.
#7 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:39 AM

I totally skipped cribs too. We've got no need for them. When DC are ready to leave our bed they have a regular bed of their own.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#8 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 AM

First I am wondering why you are planning on getting your DC their own bed to sleep in? Our two children have slept with us in our bed with no problems--even when we haven't been able to be there with them (like for early bedtimes and naps)--we've just put our bed closer to the floor so if they did roll off they wouldn't roll very far (actually DS has never rolled off the bed).

DD had a crib but only slept in it for about the first 4 months--then we began co-sleeping and had no more use for the crib--she just napped and slept in our bed. DS has never had a crib. He sleeps with us and naps in our bed. DD now has a Japanese style futon that she sleeps on right next to our bed. Maybe instead of buying a crib that you may only use for a short time, how about getting a futon/mattress for the floor--this way your DC can sleep on them even through toddlerhood and early childhood. The good thing about the futon too is that it can be folded up easily and put away for more play room.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#9 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:55 AM

We didn't plan on co-sleeping (although we love it now) so we bought a crib. It's in our room. I like having it for naps. I'm kind of a worry wart and I don't like the idea of him walking around the house without me knowing he's awake.

I do want to get a twin mattress for "his" room so I can go lie down and go to sleep in there when he wakes up early and I don't want him waking dh. I'm not even close to ready to let him sleep in his own room, though.
#10 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 AM

We totally skipped the crib too. We have an extra room but never felt the need to use it for DD--co-sleeping just makes life so easy for us.
#11 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 09:53 AM

We completely skipped the crib for DD. I still miss her cuddly little body next to mine . DS was completely different, he coslept only part time...his choice, not inflicted on him by us.

Whatever will be, already is...

#12 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 11:05 AM

I personally wouldn't spend the $ on a crib. My MIL bought us one for my shower. Its a really nice $300 one. However..... DD sleeps terrible in it! She rolls around constantly in her sleep, and always bumps her head (ouch!)or gets her leg stuck(and then gets super scared when she cant move). I know there are breathable bumpers that I can buy, but I am too cheap to spend the $25. I have her sleep in the PakNPlay since I already had one, and didn't use it for anything except changing diapers. That way she can roll around all she wants and not bump her head or get her legs stuck.
#13 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 11:51 AM

My son had a crib from about 3 months of age until age 1 year. At age one, he started to sleep in his own twin sized bed with a barrier (still in place) so we wouldn't fall off. He has never fallen off his bed and loves his big bed.

Prior to 3 months he would sleep in a bassinet of co-sleep with me.
#14 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS slept in the crib maybe three times in his whole life. He was in with us until 11 months. We tried sidecar when he took up too much room and wiggled too much, but he always either woke when I slid him into the crib or scootched back towards me in his sleep. After a couple of weeks of that, we moved the crib into his room and tried that. He woke up several times a night, after months of sleeping through the night. So we decided to just put him in the twin bed in his room. He's slept happily there ever since. I think it's because a crib just FEELS different, KWIM? The mattress is hard and cold. The twin bed is close to what he was used to in the big bed. It's nice being able to switch back and forth with cosleeping - he's in with us when we travel or visit family or he's sick, then he has his own bed other nights and he can thrash and kick and wiggle and squirm to his heart's content.

I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the crib. It belonged to my best friend and my mom bought the mattress. It would've been a lot to pay for a laundry hamper. I'm planning on selling it at our next yard sale. We're planning more kids, but by the time they're out of the bed, they'll be big enough for us to get a bunk bed they can share with DS.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#15 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
skipped it But our mattress is on the floor & our apartment is TINY....and he's our first born Those types of things would factor into your decision I'm sure.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#16 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 12:10 PM

We never bought a crib and I am SOO glad I didn't spend $$ on one. Dd, now 13 months, slept in the co-sleeper next to our bed when she was a newborn, then slept with us in bed from about 3 months on. She still naps in the co-sleeper (lowered to a pak n play) and sleeps with us in the bed at night. HTH!
#17 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 12:27 PM

We have a crib. I am also very glad we did not pay for it (gift from MIL ). I think we used it for a total of 4 months when the kids were infants. I used it more with DD, particularly when I broke my ankle when she was 5 mos. old... but I could have used a borrowed pack-n-play or some other fenced in type thing just as easily.

My kids were climbing out of the crib by 6 months, so it was even more useless then then when they were co-sleeping little babies. Useless and dangerous! Forget the suggestion someone gave me to turn the crib upside down to keep them in :

What we did when the kids were ready to move out of our bed (or to take naps alone) was to buy a twin bed and put the matress and box spring on the floor in the corner against 2 walls. We got one of those rails for one side. It worked great They never fell out, even at 7 months. They could climb in and out with ease, and seemed to really enjoy the freedom to get out when they wanted to. It kept me from worrying that my little toddler would fall on thier head trying to climb out of a crib, and I think it made them more comfortable than being in something that seriously looked like a cage. If you have an early, motivated mover, i suggest strongly getting rid of the crib or converting it into a toddler bed!

DS started sleeping by his own accord in his bed all night at 2, and DD... well at 5 she still comes into our bed sometimes

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#18 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 12:28 PM

We've never had a crib with either of our kids. Our dd is about to move from the toddler bed she picked out at 2 up to a regular bed. We are talking about having that toddler bed near our bed for ds for naps as it is close to the ground. Right now he just naps on our bed or near me. We did have a tiny travel pack'n'play when dd was little that she used for naps, but gave it away when we moved. We have thought of getting something similar for ds, but just don't have space for it right now.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#19 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 01:18 PM

double post

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#20 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 01:27 PM

My dd will be two (years) next month. We've never had a crib, she's only ever slept in our bed...well a couple times on the floor. We're expecting dc#2 sometime in early fall and we're not getting a crib for that one either. We are playing with the idea of getting a toddler bed, mainly because dd likes to make her own little bed on the floor for naptime, so we're thinking it might be time for it. That said my children are always welcome in the family bed
#21 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 02:09 PM

My first two slept in the crib, Isaiah never did. He sleeps with us.
#22 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 02:12 PM

We had a crib that was a colossal waste of money. Our son slept with us until he moved to his own bed (which he only stays in half the night). Our next son will sleep in a cosleeper until he's too big for that, then we'll have to reassess. Our first son was a really great climber at an early age & it just seemed to be courting disaster to try and "convince" him to stay in his crib if he didn't want to be there.
#23 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 02:44 PM

With my last two.

With my first, we owned one but it served as a laundry basket and stuffed animal holder

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#24 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 02:59 PM

LOL, I came here to make this exact post...

We have a crib (it was given to us), but we've never even put it together... We'll be co-sleeping until ds wants his own bed. My only concern is naps when he becomes mobile, I worry about him getting out of bed when I don't know he's awake. Obviously I wouldn't be too far away, but I don't always hear him wake up. Any mamas that have BTDT have suggestions? Do you just check up on dc periodically? Even if we had room from a crib, we wouldn't want to use it at all.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#25 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia
With my first, we owned one but it served as a laundry basket and stuffed animal holder
Yep, that's us. lol. At least it was given to us, and we didn't have to waste any money on it.
I did waste money on a $90 cosleeper that was used a total of 3 hours. lol. Ah well. live and learn

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#26 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah
LOL, I came here to make this exact post...

We have a crib (it was given to us), but we've never even put it together... We'll be co-sleeping until ds wants his own bed. My only concern is naps when he becomes mobile, I worry about him getting out of bed when I don't know he's awake. Obviously I wouldn't be too far away, but I don't always hear him wake up. Any mamas that have BTDT have suggestions? Do you just check up on dc periodically? Even if we had room from a crib, we wouldn't want to use it at all.
I was worried about that, too, but it was never an issue, really. I surrounded DS with pillows, put the bed on the floor, taught DS to crawl off the bed backwards when he was old enough, and just basically listened for his wake-up grunts.
#27 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 03:57 PM

We got a crib before ds was born, and he slept in his bassinet before he wanted to be close to me all the time, so we co-slept. We ended up putting the crib as a side car once he was rolling over, but now we use it as a big playpen lol. Even if he had his own "room" I would want him sleeping in our room.
#28 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emikey
don't know if I want to buy a real crib at this point. Is 6 mos. too young for anything else? Any ideas?
You can always just put a mattress on the floor. This is even recommended by Montessori educators (even for newborns) because as your baby gets older, it will allow him to get out of bed and move around without your help. This makes for a much more independent child. Much better than a cage, when you think about...

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#29 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 04:14 PM

I'm so glad that our crib was a gift because it has never been slept in as a crib. We do use it as a sidecar on our king sized bed for extra sleeping space, since we have 2 kids in the family bed. Our dd usually sleeps halfway in it and its worked great for us since her brother was born. As a crib it was completely useless for us, even though I was so sure dd would sleep in it eventually So no, I would never buy one if I had to do it over again.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#30 of 65 Old 06-13-2006, 04:22 PM

yep. No crib here either. dd slept in our bed for naps and everything. We had one end up against the wall and put tables and stuff on the other end of our kingsize bed to block her in, basically. We also taught her how to get off the bed safely on her own, once she could stand.

She went right from our bed into her own single bed (suitable for adults) which has one side up against the wall and the other with a rail and an open end at the end for her to get up or down. I put a step stool there for her, but for some reason she REFUSES to get out of the bed on her own. Despite the fact that our bed was MUCH higher.

Anyways, I would definately suggest this to anyone. Made more sense. Saved us money. And she's got a one time bed for the long haul.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page