full time co-sleeping vs. part time and do you like it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: full time vs. part time family bed
bed share full time, taking baby or kids to bed when you go 21 27.63%
bed share full time, putting baby or kids to sleep before you 35 46.05%
baby in crib or cosleeper before you and bring to bed for nursing 16 21.05%
baby in bedside cosleeper before you and bring to bed for nursing 1 1.32%
bring baby to bed just for nursing and put back in crib or cosleeper 3 3.95%
baby's crib in other room and transferred back after eating. 0 0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 04-01-2003, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, ekblad... I don't feel judged by you in particular, and I know you've had your share of sleeping ups and downs...

Part of the reason this is so tough for me is that I'm not happy! How could I be happy about the kind of sleep we get? It doesn't work for us! But, I'm pretty much out of options besides just waiting or CIO... So, it's easy for me to get frustrated with anyone who thinks that co-sleeping solves all sleep problems, or who belittles any of the things we've tried in our journey towards better sleep. It's easy for me to get frustrated with anyone who judges me for my choices around sleep... Sometimes I think I should just stop talking to people about sleep, or at least stop talking to anyone who hasn't slept like us. How can you truly relate to my experience if you haven't gone 16 months without a decent night's sleep (and my standard of decent is pretty low...)? How can you relate if you don't know what it's like to wake up 20 times a night for weeks on end? With no chance for a nap, with a needy babe, fighting illness... Blah blah blah, woe is me, wah wah whiney baby.

I think I will take a break from this forum. Starting now!
#32 of 34 Old 04-01-2003, 01:00 PM

No sleep is the worst! You know they use it for torture in some countries. It tortures me! I'm so sorry you've had struggles! I'm sending good thoughts for better sleep resolutions!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#33 of 34 Old 04-14-2003, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tara
And, FWIW, I believe my kid *does* need a bedtime. When we stay out later or don't start our bedtime routine on time as planned we all pay for it. And my child would fight bedtime until next week if I never 'made' him go to sleep. Some kids do well without routine, some kids need more structure, some kids are born sleep-fighters. I consider not only my child's gentle heart but what is in his and our family's best interest, and sometimes that means I put him in pj's even though he struggles and I lie down and nurse him to sleep. Doesn't work every time, and those times perhaps I misread his cues.
My DD totally needs an early bedtime. We experimented with putting her to bed later for a while because bedtime was a struggle, but she was a total pest to be around the whole time. Like some alien had invaded her body or something and she was always crying and fussing and didn't know what she wanted. And she woke up more often during the night if that was possible My happy singing cheerful girl came back when I reintroduced the bedtime struggle. In her own bed. When she wakes up she comes to mine. I can't fall asleep with someone that close to me unless I am still pretty much asleep.

DD is also not a great sleeper, and in fact started sleeping better when I did put her in her own bed. We stay very flexible so everyone gets as much sleep as possible and Oh awake bye
#34 of 34 Old 04-14-2003, 03:46 PM

My daughter needs to go to bed around 8, so I lie down with her until she is asleep, and then I get up. I used to put her in her crib for the first part of the night, but she always woke up every 45 minutes or so until I brought her into bed with me, and was very upset to find herself in her crib. She was resistant to bedtime, and also naps. I gave up on the crib completely. I know you are not supposed to leave a baby alone in an adult bed, but we have a very small apartment, and we just keep the bedroom door open so we always hear her if she starts moving around. Also, we have a bedrail. We are all *very* happy with this arrangement. We will continue to this until dd decides on her own that she is ready to sleep in her own bed. It has been 5 months since we stopped using the crib, and now dd asks to go "nigh-nigh" for bedtime, and also for naps. She now has pleasant associations with sleep, and doesn't mind being alone in our bed, because it is her "place". She might stir during the night, but she goes back to sleep on her own without any rocking or nursing. Most nights she sleeps for 11 hours straight. I know bedsharing isn't for everyone, but it really works for us!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page