lying-down nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When did you and your babe get the hang of it? With my ds, it took about 6 weeks before we could do it. I thought most of that was my inexperience. With dd (3 weeks old!) I thought we'd have better luck. Am I just going to have to wait it out again? I really would like a little more sleep! I hate sitting up to nurse. I can't imagine what I would do if I didn't cosleep!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
honestly, all three did it right off the bat.

Dont get me started on my other BF'g issues/problems.....
#3 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 02:03 PM

I think it was around 4 weeks that we got it. But it's interesting that you are not finding it easier with number two. I always figured it would be, since I already know how to do it. But then again, baby needs to learn how to nurse as well....plus it helps when they can help out a bit, y'know? Hang in there, I'm sure you two will get it in no time. I do remember what a pain it was to have to sit up to nurse at night!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#4 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 02:08 PM

I honestly don't remember, but it must have been 4 or 5 weeks. I just remember getting up and out of bed even though we co-slept. How dumb is that? I didnt' want to wake DH: LOL, next time I just won't care.
#5 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 02:09 PM

Isn't amazing how different we all are? I couldn't get my first to latch on sitting up for a while, he would only nurse laying down.

And the with second I hemmoragged pretty bad and couldn't really sit up so he had to start out nursing laying down, but never had problems in many different positions (good thing since I was tandem nursing a 19 mo old1)

But I think that 6 weeks is a pretty common age to get the hang of it. Have you tried in the day? With your shirt off? so there is one less thing to position. I think that for some if the baby can lay a little higher, like on a couple folded up blankets or with thier head on your arm (i know not really a sleeping position, but headed there) it is easier. Will she lay on top of you? Start off sitting up against some pillows and sort of slide down with her still on your chest/belly.

I am sure she will get it soon.
#6 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 02:35 PM

What seem to be the difficulties? What position are you laying in etc.? I guess for me laying down has been easy. I lay on my side, turn baby on their side and pull them close...whole body very close to mine. Is your bed extra soft? I know when I slept at my moms house where there was a horrible water bed, I had a tough time keeping baby in the right position.
#7 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 03:00 PM

I think it took us until at least 3 or 4 months, who can remember with the sleep deprivation....so consider yourselves gifted and talented! :LOL

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#8 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! It is so funny how different we and our babies all are. Part of the problem is positioning her so her nose isn't smashed into my breast where she can't breathe. I try to position her higher or lower, but since I can't see very well in the dark, I'm not having much luck. I'll try the suggestion to do it during the day. I think that would help.

Thanks everyone!
#9 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 11:17 PM

We sleep with our closet light on so I can see what I'm doing at night with the babies, and I remember the breast smooshing the nose thing. I think for me if I pulled the babies really close against my body, it put their noses at a different angle from my breast so they could breath easier.
#10 of 25 Old 03-19-2003, 11:45 PM

I seem to remember that having baby's body very close in with head tilted back a bit helped clear the nose from my breast

the top of his head would be level with my armpit (mmm, lucky baby, all that nice mummy smell)
#11 of 25 Old 03-20-2003, 08:52 PM

For me, it was more a question of my own comfort. My breasts were tremendously full and leaky for the first few months, even the second time around ... Things got much better when I could nurse off the top one without the bottom one flooding the bed!
#12 of 25 Old 03-20-2003, 09:16 PM

It took 3 or 4 weeks. I think the main problem was the small size of her head and her inability to move it, so the only way it would work was if the nipple was in exactly the right location, without any breast covering her teeny nose. I expect it will be the same with baby #2.
#13 of 25 Old 03-22-2003, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am large breasted and had the same problems with covering his nose. I found that if I wiggle down a little bit after I get him latched it uncovers his nose. I use my hand alot too to 'prop' my too big of boob up so he doesnt have to search around so hard to find the food!!

Desiree

#14 of 25 Old 03-22-2003, 08:16 AM

I press down (lightly) on the top of my breast after she has latched on. Just enough to clear her nose. Otherwise she gulpsgulpsgulps and swallows air trying to breathe while eating. I only do it for the first 5-10 minutes of a feeding, by then she's settled into an effective nursing pattern. Then I fall back asleep!

We both took to nursing lying down right away, but it wasn't heaven at first. She swallowed so much air and spit up so much the first 4-6 weeks. But she loved not having to "wake up" to eat-- she would cry too much to eat if I took her out of bed to eat at night! As she got older it got easier.

Things get so much easier as they get older, but I will always love those early days...
#15 of 25 Old 03-22-2003, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, we managed to lie down for all feedings last night except one (don't know what the deal was with that particular feeding). It is getting easier for both dd and myself. Thanks everyone for your suggestions
#16 of 25 Old 03-22-2003, 04:31 PM

My dd did it right away. We had a lot of problems nursing in the begining (she was physically incapable of opening her mouth all the way the first week), so I was in A LOT of pain. Lying down helped me relax when she nursed. I wish I hadn't done it that way though-- she's 11 months old now and I STILL have to lay down to nurse her. We can nurse sitting up, but it never goes well. So basically, we learned to nurse lying down and not sitting up. Anybody else ever heard of this?
#17 of 25 Old 03-23-2003, 12:08 AM

right from the start w/all 3 dds

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#18 of 25 Old 03-23-2003, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my success ws not long-lasting--last night we couldn't manage it once. Part of it, I think, is that I have a problem with overactive letdown so dd unlatches frequently at the beginning of the nursing session. Poor girl--her whole face is crusted with milk this morning! Onward and upward
#19 of 25 Old 03-23-2003, 02:25 PM

Within 1 week - truly made me believe in God when I figured it out!

I started nursing sitting up, then sort of twisted him to a lying down position while I went down as well. Does that make sense? After a few weeks we were able to feed without sitting up at all.

Best of luck!
#20 of 25 Old 03-23-2003, 02:33 PM

I never got the hang of it properly. My kids were also burpers, so I had to sit them up to burp them anyway. Our first was a spitter... so for him it was just better to sit more upright while nursing. OTOH, I have very small breasts, and I found it hard to get into a position that made my breasts accesible to the babes. The first two weeks after my milk came in, I was between a B and C cup, but after those initial weeks, I was barely able to fill up a B cup. It was pretty hard to get those little titties to the right place. And I always had to turn over to let them get the other breast. Sitting up in bed (we got one of those sitting-up chair-pillows for the bed) was just a lot easier.
#21 of 25 Old 03-23-2003, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Whizzie, what is this sitting up chair pillow?? I would love to see one. Thanks!
#22 of 25 Old 03-23-2003, 03:11 PM

It looks like a chair almost... but it is totally soft and made of foam. There are little arm rests (which I found great for supporting my arm while nursing, or even using as a pillow while I was sleeping (I didn't want to move the pillow around all the time, and at times I used it as a bumper pillow for babe. Inevitably the armrest would get "between us", and it was soft enough for me to use as a pillow.
So I'll see if I can google a pic for you.
#23 of 25 Old 03-23-2003, 03:40 PM

here's an example

Mine is not as rigid as that one; however, it gives a very clear idea of the shape of the pillow/chair.
Mine is softer, slumps a bit, has more rounded edges, and is covered with an almost velvety fabric. Very comfy. We got ours at a wholesaler. I have also seen them in bed(ding) stores and department stores.
HTH.
#24 of 25 Old 03-23-2003, 03:56 PM

It took me a month or two actually to get the hang of it. We had no problems with nursing, but with laying down for some reason it was awkward until ds got just a tad bigger. Or maybe I just finally figured it out. I dunno. I definitely plan on trying right from the start with my next baby.
#25 of 25 Old 03-23-2003, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Whizzie--thank you! I know what you're talking about with the softer version (a roommate of mine had one, but she set in on the floor in front of the couch). I'm going to have to scout around for one of those

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page