Ok this might make you so mad - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 97 Old 08-09-2006, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG. That is child abuse! I'm sorry, but even though peds tell you that at 6 months a child doesn't "need" to nurse & can "sleep through the night" without waking or taking any food, putting your child in the domestic equivalent of the DUNGEON so that you don't have to hear his/her hungry and/or frightened cries is just wrong in so many ways.
#62 of 97 Old 08-09-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai
I actually think this abusive and should be reported. What if the baby were sick? And he needs to eat and be changed during the night regardless.
Could she have ppd? How old is the baby? She may need help.
#63 of 97 Old 08-09-2006, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
kdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun
Could she have ppd? How old is the baby? She may need help.
No I don't think that is it. She doesn't have ppd. Her baby is 6 months. I think this is a run in the family type thing, her sister and husband were letting their baby CIO at 6 weeks. So that is where I think she is getting some of her advice. I think she just wants her sleep and that is all that matters. I know it is really sad.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#64 of 97 Old 08-09-2006, 10:42 PM

that brought tears to my eyes. poor little baby.
#65 of 97 Old 08-09-2006, 11:45 PM

#66 of 97 Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 PM

i knew a couple that moved theri baby into a closet because she would get out of bed and come want to nurse.. than she figured out how to open the closet door so they put a chair in front of it

these poor babies!
#67 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
i knew a couple that moved theri baby into a closet because she would get out of bed and come want to nurse..
I watched a House Hunters (HGTV) episode where the closet was the baby's room too. There was a playpen at the back and this was a small skinny closet. Very sad.
#68 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 12:03 AM

I could never imagine doing this to a child..... wouldn't something inside of you scream that it was wrong?

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
#69 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
I watched a House Hunters (HGTV) episode where the closet was the baby's room too. There was a playpen at the back and this was a small skinny closet. Very sad.
I see nothing wrong with this for an older child to have a space of their own in a larger family. Just so long as any locks are on the *inside*. For a baby, well, that's just silly, babies should be in their parent's room.
#70 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 AM

I would call CPS if I was in your position...you can call anonimously (sp!) and then it's their decision if its abuse or not.
I'va called them on an old friend of mine and they visited her and didn't find anything, but I felt better, because at least the situation got checked out.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#71 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 01:23 AM

something obviously needs to happen here, for that poor baby's ske, but i just wanted to ask, has anyone actually ever seen cps do a single good for anyone? i mean, i'm sure there's some crackhead somewhere whose kids don't miss her(most likely because cps doesn't do anything and they're still living there) (a joke). in my state more kids are snatched by cps per capita than any state in the us (nebraska), and the governor and cps are under multiple lawsuits for the abuse kids suffer in the foster care system. my g-ma said she worked for foster care for hhs for like 2 years before she had to quit because of what she was seeing. the last straw for her was when a 13 yo girl was raped by her foster father.... obviously this doesn't happen every single time, and it kind of sh*ts on the options for the baby we are talking about.... the treat of calling cps might be good, if it gets the parents into therapy or something.
#72 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 01:31 AM

It's already been said, but how can you give birth to a precious, innocent child, and then put him or her in the basement!?!?!? I'm so sad for that baby. It's bad enough that the kid's needs for affection/comfort/clean diaper/food/security are going completely ignored. But what if the poor thing was sick or hurt? Duh, babies cry because we're SUPPOSED to take care of them. And they don't come with time cards that we can punch out at 7 p.m. when we're done with them!!!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#73 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwww
something obviously needs to happen here, for that poor baby's ske, but i just wanted to ask, has anyone actually ever seen cps do a single good for anyone? i mean, i'm sure there's some crackhead somewhere whose kids don't miss her(most likely because cps doesn't do anything and they're still living there) (a joke). in my state more kids are snatched by cps per capita than any state in the us (nebraska), and the governor and cps are under multiple lawsuits for the abuse kids suffer in the foster care system. my g-ma said she worked for foster care for hhs for like 2 years before she had to quit because of what she was seeing. the last straw for her was when a 13 yo girl was raped by her foster father.... obviously this doesn't happen every single time, and it kind of sh*ts on the options for the baby we are talking about.... the treat of calling cps might be good, if it gets the parents into therapy or something.
From what I've heard, I think cps is a little different here in Canada.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#74 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
I see nothing wrong with this for an older child to have a space of their own in a larger family. Just so long as any locks are on the *inside*. For a baby, well, that's just silly, babies should be in their parent's room.
This baby was about 6 mos old and an only child. The parents had a HUGE bedroom with plenty of room, then they cut to a little closet with a playpen and clothes in it. It was sad.
#75 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 01:51 PM

That is so horrible.

Apparently, when my dad was a baby his dad was away at war and he was home with my grandma. When my grandad came home he didn't like my grandma feeding him at night anymore so they left my dad to cry in a crib in another room all night long. My poor grandma had to listen to it but her husband wouldn't let her resond to the crying. My dad thinks he is a "loser" because of it, and he blames that experience on his lack of confidence (my dad is NOT a loser, but you couldn't convince him of that)

When my mum told me I was so upset, I didn't realise people could actually do that. Doesn't a person's protective instinct take over? : : :
#76 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan's Mom
The more I think of this, the worse I feel for that baby. I have talked about it with my mom and my husband. We really think these people need to be reported to the child protection services. What if the baby strangled or the crib collapsed and crushed her.....or anything really. It is not right and I feel it is our duty to speak for the voiceless and protect the defenseless.

How dare these people do this.

They should be sterilized and they make me want to :Puke
Then report them... no harm can come of it. But to only talk about it with other people isn't helping that baby... or those people come to think of it. They obviously need parenting help and I think you would be doing them a favor by reporting this behavior. It is your responsibility as a person to doing something to stop this neglectful and hurtful cycle.

And in repsonse to PP asking if CPS has ever really done anything to help, yes. I have a friend who was always yelling at her children and smacking them.. her husband had left her with three kids under 5... I called CPS after my friend would't listen to me... they did not take the children, rather, my friend recieved counseling and parenting classes... and a "helper" (thats what the kids thought the social worker was) came by once a week, unannouced to check in. It is not the goal of CPS to rip apart families and "snatch" children... but to create more cohesive family units... and I think thats something everyone here can be on board with.
#77 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freya6903
That is so horrible.

Apparently, when my dad was a baby his dad was away at war and he was home with my grandma. When my grandad came home he didn't like my grandma feeding him at night anymore so they left my dad to cry in a crib in another room all night long. My poor grandma had to listen to it but her husband wouldn't let her resond to the crying. My dad thinks he is a "loser" because of it, and he blames that experience on his lack of confidence (my dad is NOT a loser, but you couldn't convince him of that)

When my mum told me I was so upset, I didn't realise people could actually do that. Doesn't a person's protective instinct take over? : : :
If that were my husband, he'd be out in the shed with divorce papers! :
HA! I'd lovvveee to have someone try to stop me from responding to a crying baby! Not on your life, buster!

And about what those parents are doing to that baby, it borderlines if not is child abuse. I personally consider it abuse, but I'm not sure how state agencies would consider that. Children that young and often still in need of night feedings, as baby's sleep schedules and feed schedules are so different from adults, something some parents an even some peds don't seem to get. Babies need fed on demand, when they are hungry as a general rule. Yes, sometimes there are rare health issues that sometimes are exceptions to that rule (rare obesity and certain metabolism problems) but for a baby that young he needs to be fed. Cutting of the child from important caloric intake could possibly have a very negative effect on the his growth, not to mention his mental development. Also, I believe as a safety precaution sleeping infants always need to be within earshot of a responsible adult. There are just to many variables for them not to be.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#78 of 97 Old 08-10-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545
If that were my husband, he'd be out in the shed with divorce papers! :
HA! I'd lovvveee to have someone try to stop me from responding to a crying baby! Not on your life, buster!
:
I love my husband, but there is no way he could stop me from responding to my child. Not that he would- he'd probably be there before me- he's a faster runner!

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#79 of 97 Old 08-11-2006, 10:02 AM

I just cant believe people are like that. I could never put my child anywhere that I cant hear them. It was hard enough when my daughter decided she wanted to sleep on the top level of our house. We have a monitor to hear her. We live in an old farm house, that was a duplex, and we reconverted it this year to a single family house. She wanted more room for all her stuff, and a place to kinda get away. We have our play room up there, and a small office etc. Anway, Im getting off topic. How can people want to feel so unconnected to their child. What if something hapened? What if he got too hot or cold? What if he was sick or just wanted someone to hold him?> What if he got hungry? If she wanted to get away, why dont she sleep down there so someone else could tend to his needs? It just saddens me how people can treat their children with such disrespect.

Michelle Abby (07/27/01),fambedsingle1.gif Kaleigh(06/25/06),angel.gif (12/25/07),angel.gif (10/06/09),cat.gif Storm (11/4/06)cat.gif Rainy (05/10)

#80 of 97 Old 08-11-2006, 03:11 PM

This is one of the saddest things I have ever heard... especially with all the other stories about closets, etc.
On a related note, my mom said that my uncle (through marriage) used to be left outside to play as a baby with a playpen turned upside down on top of him like a cage. His parents were abusive and alcoholic. 50+ years later, he is abusive and alcoholic too. So sad.
#81 of 97 Old 08-11-2006, 05:12 PM

I wish there were people out there who protect babies by law who we could report this stuff to. If someone was doing this to anyone else (elderly, disabled, etc) and just letting them scream, unattended, it would be considered abuse and subject to the law. I don't know why babies dont get the same laws applied to them.

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#82 of 97 Old 08-11-2006, 05:50 PM

That's dispicable!
#83 of 97 Old 08-12-2006, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I keep thinking about that little baby and I want to . Our place is on the small side. My DS fell asleep a bit ago in bed so I went in the next room to start dinner. About 15 minutes later I heard him cry that "Mama, where'd you go, I'm scared 'cause I don't see you!" cry and I dropped everything and immediately went to him. Once I cuddled him back into sleep I just put him on the floor in our little padded play area so that if he woke up again he could see me. How could you not go to your crying baby? That I-need-to-go-see-about-my-baby-NOW response is there for a reason. I keep checking on this thread hoping against hope that something has changed. :

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#84 of 97 Old 08-12-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwww
I have to speak up a little in defense of CPS. My husband served as a caseworker for a about a year in southwestern Penna and for a year in central NY. I know that he is not evil, he is not heartless. He had to go into HORRID situations of filth, neglect and abuse. There are real situations that take place, not just with crackheads. Those with dirty homes do not instantly lose their kids. They are given time to get the place inhabitable, but removal was a last resort. Obviously, if the child is in apparent danger, something has to be done. In many cases they try to work with the parents with counseling and other services, but if bad situations remain unchanged something HAS to be done. Most caseworkers go into the field because they want to help children. And let me tell you, it is an ungrateful, low-paying job.

My husband hated having to do what he had to do sometimes. He also hated nonsense reports coming from ex-spouses in custody disputes or ex-friends trying to hurt their former friends because it kept he and his fellow caseworkers from helping those children who really needed help. He didn't last a whole year the first time, not because he was so upset by what he had to do, but because of the awful circumstances he witnessed for the children. So, yes, CPS does good, and there are also many, many caring, loving foster parents who just want to help kids. There *are* those awful people who are just looking for the money, but there are many who truly care.

We had our own CYS issue a couple months ago and I admit I was freaked out until I learned what it was about. Our old school district in central NY called us in to the CYS here where we are now because they didn't get a hold of us for the paperwork we were supposed to turn in. We have lived here for just about a year now...how stupid is that? Anyway, we were thankfully able to provide documentation of our son's education, and the caseworker was really great and it was all unfounded, case closed. But I remember freaking out because of the negative reports I've heard. It really hurt my husband because he really WAS a good caseworker.

Anyway...just wanted to step in.

The issue here is this poor baby. I agree with PPs who have said that the sister should move to the basement. She can handle it. The baby is a BABY, and should be close to them.

JET
#85 of 97 Old 08-12-2006, 10:51 AM

I am in tears,holding my sweet baby. She has never been more than three feet from me.I cant imagine anyone putting their baby in a basement.
#86 of 97 Old 08-12-2006, 05:10 PM

I absolutely think someone should call CPS. Putting the baby where they can't hear him cry is unsafe, and certainly sounds like child endangerment to me. Even without worrying about the emotional damage being done to the poor baby left to cry all alone in the basement with no hope of help from his parents, the physical risks are real. Freak accidents happen and this baby's parents would never know if something fell on him, if he somehow fell or climbed out of the crib, got stuck between the bars, etc.
#87 of 97 Old 08-12-2006, 05:39 PM

I can understand wanting you wean your child away from feeding during nights, i haven't read the whole thread to see if you posted how old the child was, but as far as i am concerned a child over 1 doesn't need to be feeding during the night. THIS IS MY OPINION however, and i don't expect people to agree with me.

On the other hand putting your child in the basement is a VERY unlogical way of going about it. If she can't stand the crying then maybe SHE should sleep in the basement. That way the dad can hear if the child starts choaking, or if anything else goes wrong while the child is sleeping, as it is unlikely they will be able to hear this if the BABY is in the BASEMENT.
#88 of 97 Old 08-12-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydens_mom
as far as i am concerned a child over 1 doesn't need to be feeding during the night. .

So at the magical age of 1 children suddenly lose their nighttime needs? All of a sudden they just magically mature into this independent creature? Sounds a bit outlandish to me. Every child is different, some children would need to night nurse until 3, who cares, they are individuals. Perhaps that child has allergies, growth issues, or comfort needs. Or perhaps *GASP* the mother is still enjoying those nighttime nursing moments with her fast growing little babe! Heaven forbid.....
#89 of 97 Old 08-12-2006, 08:28 PM

And I thought this was about a six-month-old anyhow...

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#90 of 97 Old 08-12-2006, 09:46 PM

Ya, I know, I was just saying.... :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page