What do you love about co-sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2003, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just thought it might be nice to discuss the joys of co-sleeping for a moment. Most of what I've read on this forum is about difficulties and struggles (which I completely understand...everyone needs a place to go to complain without being told "I told you so"). But, I would love to hear your positive experiences with co-sleeping, too. We have been through some tough co-sleeping struggles, but we are at a comfortable place right now in our nighttime parenting journey, and I would love to share that with others.

So, what are some of your favorite co-sleeping moments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2003, 02:35 PM

I have no real complaints about co-sleeping so I'm a good one to talk about the wonderful parts! DD is almost 10 months old and I cannot imagine not snuggling her at night and waking to her cute face inches from mine! I love curling around her little nursing body, knowing she is safe and secure. I love that I can nourish her body by nursing and her spirit by keeping her secure and showing her trust and safety.

I love that dh loves cuddling her too and totally supports co-sleeping.

My baby has never needed to wake alone and cry to get the attention of her parents. One of us is there to care for her as she wakes.

I like that she can find my breast at night on her own. I wake just enough to be aware that she is nursing but not enough to be disturbed by her.

I like to hear her sigh in her sleep.

I like to see her sleepy smiles and I LOVE to be right beside her when her eyes open in the morning. I started a thread in Life With a Babe a long time ago about "Mooshy Squishy Morning Time" about how I just loved waking up to her little face and watching her wake up.

My dd nurses to sleep all the time unless she is in the sling with daddy or the car seat. I knew what I was doing when I started this "habit" but the truth is, she is little only once and only for a little while. I have her in my lap or right next to me nursing for her naps almost always. My house is a disaster, the floors need to be vacuumed, the dishes need to be washed and I need to bring the laundry in off the line but my baby does not cry for her momma and these sweet quiet moments will be over soon. Right now she is naping in my lap -velcroed to the boob! I think I will go lay down with her and snuggle for a few!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Old 03-28-2003, 02:44 PM

I want to add that co-sleeping works so well for us because my baby wakes to potty (we are doing elimination communication) and immediately nurses back to sleep. I can sleep just fine with her nursing. So my waking at night might be 3-4 times at max, usually 2-3, but is only for a few minutes and then right back to sleep!

If I am in bed, DH is totally asleep and the baby doesn not wake him when she stirs to potty then nurse back to sleep. If I'm not in bed, like trying to get some housework done or here on MDC , hid "daddy radar" kicks in and he is attentive to dd's movements.

I think we are such good sleepers that the few interruptions we get from dd don't bother us. For those who are light sleepers, I can see where some of this is really tough!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Old 03-28-2003, 05:50 PM

Can I please give my 2 cents, even though my youngest is almost 5?

Like alot of moms who co sleep, i did while i was nursing.

We coslept for almost 3 years after he weaned because i found him wandering around the house! as long as he was with us, he stayed in bed.

so truthfully, i coslept because i couldnt sleep unless he was next to me! how many times do i have to catch him by the furnace, trying to blow out the pilot light? now he's much better, and sleeps in his twin bed with his older brother.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:15 PM

I love waking up to a sleepy smile and my ds patting my checks and saying "mama"

I love listening to him breath while he sleeps.

I love snuggling with him.

Even when the going is tough, I try to remind myself that someday he'll be too big and too cool to sleep and cuddle with his mama.

All the best,
Sally
Old 03-28-2003, 11:10 PM

There is nothing in this world as beautiful to me than DD's angelic sleeping face. Some nights, or mornings before she's up, I will just lie there and stare at her. I wouldn't have that oppotunity if she were off in a crib or another room.

This takes on greater meaning on the particularly rough nights. After a lengthy struggle to get her to sleep, seeing her peacefully lying there reminds me of how precious she is and makes any previous hard feelings fade from memory. I think that if I were to fight to get her to sleep into a crib and then go off into my own bed, I might hang on to the frustration and resentment from trying to put her down. KWIM?
Old 03-29-2003, 02:54 AM

I'm another who's never had a problem related to co-sleeping (my problems are related to other things! :LOL )

I love co-sleeping because my first would wake hourly unless she was right next to me. With co-sleeping she would sleep a whole 2 hours at a time, whoop de doo! Kept me sane though. I love co-sleeping because she didn't stop waking at night til just when she turned 3. It was definitely easier to take care of her right in the same bed.

I love co-sleeping because my second is naturally an AWESOME sleeper. With the extra benefit of him right next to me to nurse I am probably the most well rested mother of a babe I know

I love co-sleeping because I can touch my little babe in the middle of the night and hear him breathe and know he's safe. I love it because after a day she drove me crazy, I can look at my 4 year old sleeping peacefully and remind myself she's still my sweet baby too.

I just love co-sleeping Thank goodness my first babe was wired the way she was because I had intended to put her in a crib in another room She had other ideas and so a co-sleeping mama was born
Old 03-29-2003, 03:15 AM

and, more seriously, as anna posted above, their incredibly beautiful faces in the peace of sleep. now matter how frustrated i am, no matter how hard the day, it all melts away when i watch them slip into sleep... and knowing, truly knowing they are safe and well with every breath beside me...
warmly,
susan
Old 03-29-2003, 12:54 PM

2 nights ago my 5 week old was awake and just let out the biggest smile and smiled and cooed at me for about 20 mins. I thought. If she was in her crib I would have missed this. I just wanted to cry thinking what I'd missed not sleeping with my first two. Oh well, I can only try to do the best for them from here on in.
Take care, Corrie

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:45 AM

DH, just this morning, called DD & I "snugglebunnies", as he kissed us goodbye & went to work.

I love watching her sleep.

I love feeling her breathe.

I love seeing her smile in her sleep.

I love that she feels secure, safe.

I love how she smiles when she looks over and sees my face upon waking. I've caught HER looking at ME when I was sleeping.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:47 AM

I love waking up to coos and smiles. I love having someone to cuddle with in the night. I love seeing my siblings cuddle with eachother. I love laying in bed in the morning and talking/playing/singing for an hour.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 03-30-2003, 01:47 AM

I love all the beautiful things y'all have shared, especially the feelings of connection. And I also love seeing dd reach so she is touching me AND dad AND a cat or dog (yes, we sleep seven in a bed (king)).

Kim, momma to dd Tayte (01/02)
Old 03-30-2003, 01:58 AM

I love to wake up to smiles!!!

DS giggles in his sleep which is soooooooooo cute!

And just everything in general. I can't imagine not having him in bed with us. DH and I both love the close family feeling and we know that our DS is ok at night.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:27 AM

Oh, I have so many!!!!

Even though I don't want to get up, I love how she just starts blah blah blah in the morning. It's so nice to have her wake up happy and talking.

I love cuddling all together.

I love that I comfort her quick.

She loves keeping extra warm.

I love the simple travel I have! No extra bedding to bring to Grandma's!

And, on the gross side...She threw up 2X and I was so thankful that we were there for her instead of her being alone. The second incident she fall back asleep. I couldn't imagine what I would have woken up to in the middle of hte night or in the am. Just imagine, puked on sheets! or worse all over her!! I heard her gurggling so that's what woke me up. She still trhew up in bed b/c it took my brain a moment to realize what she needed. But, I was quickly able to clean up and comfort her back to sleep. It felt good.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:58 PM

Sometimes when dd wakes up before I want to get up, I'll pretend I'm still asleep to see if she'll settle back down. She'll usually reach up with her little hand and touch my mouth, waiting for me to wake up and smile at her. I can't resist--it works every time!

My favorite thing is seeing her first smile in the morning. I tell her all the time what a wonderful thing it is to wake up to her face.

I love watching her sleep peacefully in the middle of the night. I love when she sighs and resettles cuddled up in the crook of my arm. I love the smell of her sweet breath. I love that she doesn't have to cry to get my attention when she wakes up. I love that I can stay in bed all night and still give her everything she needs.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:14 PM

I love to feel him close! I pet his head and kiss his hands while he nurses to sleep relaxed and contented. Sleeping together makes us all feel right. DH loves to have our ds in between us to cuddle. BF is easy, particuarly in the beginning. He sleeps through the night now but when he didn't it was nice to feed him without either one of us fully waking. I love knowing he is right there with me where is suppose to be, in my arms. I love waking up with him, cuddling and loving in the morning. There is no better way to start or end a day than with a baby in your bed.

Besides that keeping him close so often keeps af away. Just an added bonus.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:16 PM

I love going to bed with Jackson between us, one happy sleepy love sandwich. I love hearing him breathe and being there when he smiles and laughs in his sleep. I love that he has never had to wake alone and be scared. I love the snuggles and waking up with him. I think co-sleeping is the best, best, best! I adore it, and I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, but I think there are some precious moments in a family bed that you just can't get any other way...
Old 03-31-2003, 10:35 PM

Well just this afternoon, I napped in between my 15 month old and my very-soon-to-be 3 year old dss. Ds#2 woke up and within minutes ds#1 woke up. Ds#2 climbed over me to get to his brother and he was grinning from ear to ear when he saw that his brother was awake, too. They stroked each others cheeks and giggled and played peekaboo under the blankets. Ds#1 said "I love you" to ds#2 about 10x in the course of 20 minutes.

I never thought I'd love having feet pushing into my back or in my face, but I do.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:56 PM

I love the way he wiggles in to spoon, and tucks his head under my chin. And I love the smell of his toddler head just under my nose. And being able to stare at him, up close, because his eyes are even beautiful when they are closed. And the way his little hands grope for a bit of exposed skin to touch (he's weaned).
Old 04-01-2003, 12:59 PM

MamaOui, that story is beautiful! You make me want to have another baby just so we can all sleep together!
Old 04-01-2003, 01:56 PM

I just love when all my kids where new babies, and they would get snugglely up to me and breathe their sweet baby breath on me.

HEATHERH

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 04-01-2003, 09:58 PM

Thank you, Tara . I love having my two dss. I went to a LLL conference this weekend and I held a newborn, and that always makes me want another. I think there's room for one more in our family bed, but not for another year or two.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:42 AM

We love everything about co-sleeping!

I love snuggling with her at night, not having to get up to nurse her! My favorite part is waking up to my sweet, happy little girl's smile!! I also love watching her snuggle with DH before I go in to go to sleep. And of course the funny stuff like her trying to nurse from DH!!!

Co-sleeping is wonderful and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:28 PM

I love co-sleeping with my sweet ds. I enjoy the wonderful sleep I get. as much as 12 hrs a night. It is so nice when he wakes up for a little drink to pull him close to me and snuggle. I like the smell of his sweet head, and can't stop kissing him. It has been mostly a good experience. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We are blissful co-sleepers! We wouldn't have it any another way.

It's wonderful to be awakened in the morning with a little voice saying, "Mama" in your ear and toddler breath in your face. It's wonderful to get up early and watch my DH move over to take my place next to our son, their heads touching. And the most wonderful, beautiful thing about co-sleeping -- knowing that your child knows that when he wakes up, he won't be alone; the two people who love him most in the whole world will be right beside him.

I tell my husband all the time that, if Chase wants to, he can come in from his dates at 17 years old and climb into bed with his mama :^)

User Tag List