Tired mommy, please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for some help/advice from you all. My son is 1 and has never been a good sleeper. He has only slept through the night about 3 times!
Anyway, I don't really know what to do.

He falls asleep on his own when it's time for bed. We will give him a bottle, then take him to his crib (while still awake), lay him down and he will put himself to sleep. Then, every night every 2-3 hours later, he will wake up crying. I am not a fan of crying it out at all. I mean I let him cry a little to see if he will put himself back to sleep. Most of the time he doesn't and I have to hold him until he goes back to sleep. Then another 2-3 hours later, he is up again doing the same thing. This has been going on for a long time. I never thought that a year later my boy would still not sleep through the night.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else? Will he all the sudden one day just suprise me and start sleeping through?

Thanks in advance!
Stacey:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 PM

i have been in your situation and i know how tiring it is! hugs to you, it is hard. i have a poor sleeper as well. ds would wake every 1-2 hours until he was 12 or so months old. then he began sleeping in 2-3 hour stretches. at around 18 months he went from waking every 2-3 hours to sleeping through the night (with an occassional waking once in the night). the change happened over the span of one week and there was nothing i did to cause or encourage the change. although there were things i had tried previously to no avail.

i think there were various things going on including teething, seperation anxiety and just plain restless sleep.

sitting her rethinking our situation, there was one thing that seemed to help. around 12 months we cut out dairy that he seemed to be sensitive too. that did help a bit with the restless sleep and also caused him to urinate less at night, which was the cause of some of the wakings i believe. prior to him sleeping through the night, dairy was reintroduced though.

hang in there, it will happen when baby is ready!
Old 08-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Well, I take it you're not nursing- that's always been our magic trick- but try keeping him in your bed. My dd sleeps much better with us than she does when we're not next to her.

-Angela
Old 08-23-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

No, he isn't nursing anymore. I have tried putting him in bed with me and that doesn't help. I really don't want to start that anyway.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
HI! Someone told me to go out in the sun...crazy but it did help. I get out and walk for at least a hour. My son started sleeping for longer(still not all night) but it did help.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:27 PM

that's interesting Nazsmum - any info on why this might be helping ? anyone else any thoughts on it ?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwolts
No, he isn't nursing anymore. I have tried putting him in bed with me and that doesn't help. I really don't want to start that anyway.
This forum supports co-sleeping, so that's probably the kind of suggestions you will get. From the sticky titled: The Family Bed and Nighttime Parenting Forum Guidelines

Quote:
Welcome to The Family Bed and Nighttime Parenting. This forum has a specific aim: to encourage and support co-sleeping.
-Angela

User Tag List