Parents of crappy sleepers tribe... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2006, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me I'm not alone!! Please? My son is almost 22 months and has been a horrible sleeper from the beginning. He's also really active. He refuses to sleep in the crib, but he is so restless at night, that nobody wants to sleep with him!! But, if we didn't cosleep, nobody would get ANY sleep. It seems like it's a temperament thing that will get better as he gets older, but it sure is hard... doesn't help that I'm pregnant too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 AM

Liz, when I saw your thread, I knew this tribe was for me
I don't have any great advice, because either one or both of my kids seems to always be going through some sort of sleep-related "phase." We have had some spurts where they were both sleeping well, but right now they both wake up during the night (at different times, of course), and come to our room. DD is pretty still when she's asleep, but DS can be quite restless like your little guy - and always has been. We've gone back to playing music in their rooms while we put them to bed, which does seem to help DS settle down. I use a deep relaxation nature sounds cd for him, and a classical guitar lullaby cd for DD. While that does help them settle into their beds for the evening so DH and I can have some together time, they still wake up during the night and come to our room right now. So all I can say is that I'm with ya' in your woes, mama
Old 09-09-2006, 02:34 PM

Sign me up!

My daughter was a crappy sleeper until she turned 3 or so . . . then she finally started sleeping through the night more often than not. It was really just something that took time (and patience) and that she grew into on her own. She went through an exceptionally bad phase between 17-20 months where she was waking every hour or so during the night . . . moving to a "big girl" bed seemed to help at that point, but she still woke multiple times a night after that.

My son is only 7 months old, so I don't expect much from him (though it seems like everyone I know IRL has babies that sleep through from about 4 or 5 months on). He wakes after the first 3 hour block of sleep, then typically after two hours and then every hour until we get up. I consider this decent sleeping, but when I tell people, they're horrified. So who knows? I'm sure that, like his sister, it will come in time.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
Old 09-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

Count me in . . . I have not slept more than 2 hours at a time for nearly a year. My boy slept through the night starting at 5 weeks, then stopped at 4 months. The universe is balanced for my ignorant boasting about what a great sleeper I had. :

I actually found myself thinking, maybe someday he can find a nice girl when he grows up who'd be willing to induce lactation and take over . . . . I mean, he won't be nursing to sleep when he's like 28, right??? :yawning:
Old 09-09-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimples_2005
My boy slept through the night starting at 5 weeks, then stopped at 4 months. The universe is balanced for my ignorant boasting about what a great sleeper I had. :
Me too!

We were so rested until around 4 months and then BANG. We have occasional ok nights but mostly if we co-sleep dd is up every hour. Putting her in a basinette next to our bed really has helped her sleep longer, although I love co-sleeping SO much so I'm so dissapointed.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:20 PM

My DS is up every couple of hours. He is 19 mos old. We just recently stopped nursing at night, which has helped a bit. We also have him stay in his own bed now. He was soooo restless in our bed that none of us were sleeping. It was so bad. He started climbing over me to get out of bed while he was still asleep. Now one of us is up a couple of times a night to get him back to sleep. It is exhausting. I'm glad to hear there are others. My oldest was a good sleeper, so I didn't expect this. I just keep telling myself he will sleep through the night in his own time, and try to stay relaxed about it. It isn't always easy though.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Are the 5 of us really alone in the world? Or is everyone else napping and trying to catch up on sleep?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:13 PM

I think I could belong here as well .

My ds is 15 months and been a terrible sleeper but we are finally getting a little more sleep. He sleeps with us, sleeps the best this way and as long as I am right next to him when he wakes up and can latch on and nurse. If I am not there he thinks the world is ending lol.

He is also very active and always has been. He does have bad reflux and food intolerance issues so sometimes I use to think that's why he never slept well, but I think it has to do with him being so active.

The hard part for him is usually getting him to sleep.....sometimes it can take hours. Glad to know I am not alone .
Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

My son woke me up every hour last night, just by thrashing and kicking the bed. I was so mad...
Old 09-11-2006, 11:50 PM

Hugs, Liz I hope you got a nap today.
My DS had a lowgrade fever yesterday, so he went to bed early in his own bed, then came downstairs around 10:30 while we were watching tv. He slept with me, and DH headed upstairs to sleep (the "guest" bedroom has turned into Daddy's bedroom ) We slept well until he wet the bed (2 or 3am I think, but who can remember!). Got him changed (fortunately the accident was contained to the waterproof pad I have him sleep on) and we went back to bed. Then, dd came in around 5:30 I think. She was content to lay on the air mattress next to my bed until about 6am - then she started nudging me to get up. I told her to go upstairs and get her dad
Old 09-13-2006, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DD started sleeping through the night shortly after her third B-Day, and falling asleep without nursing. It was a VERY long road to get there. She was still waking up at least 3 times a night to nurse at age 2, 3 times was a good night. We've always co-slept, it was the only way to get any sleep at all, she still needs us right next to her at night. DD just doesn't need much sleep, 10 hours a day is a great amount for her, and has been for a couple years now. : It's not uncommon for me to go to sleep with her at night, and wake up when she does, and I'm still tired! Summer is always the hardest, she'll go to sleep between 10-11pm and wake up at 6-7am. Winter is easier because she sometimes will go to sleep at 9pm. She stopped taking naps at 2, even then they weren't every day. I've definately had to change my perceptions with dd, she will do things in her own time, it's just hanging on until then. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about what kind of a sleeper #2 will be...

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Are there really only this few of us out there?? Actually I hope there are, I hope that crappy sleeping kids are something of an anomaly... gives me hope for our second one!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
Are there really only this few of us out there?? Actually I hope there are, I hope that crappy sleeping kids are something of an anomaly... gives me hope for our second one!
Nah - there are more out there - they're just too sleep deprived to be able to find us right now
Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 AM

I didn't come here to oversimplify your sleep deprivation, I totally understand how difficult that makes life. However, I wanted to chime in to suggest (if you haven't already) that you try getting your child tested for food allergies. There is a lot of information linking sleep problems with allergies. If you're not into getting the testing done, then consider doing an elimination diet to see if you can pinpoint foods that are the root of the sleeplessness.

Also consider other homeopathic or herbal remedies that could help induce sleep. Sometimes nutrition plays a role in this as well... There are lots of solutions out there to help your sleep situations. Good luck in your quest to find more sleep!

Remember--healthy children do sleep well... so if you're child/baby isn't getting enough sleep it could be detrimental to his/her health as well as yours. Best wishes to you all!... sorry for sticking my nose in... I'm on a quest to spread the word about allergies. Thanks for letting me post here.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:36 PM

You make an excellent point, Jaidy. I will begin research on that. On the natural remedy front, do you have any experience with melatonin supplements for children to help sleep?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:17 PM

Thanks! I have a friend who had taken melatonin to help her sleep... and I'm pretty sure that she gave a size appropriate dose to her dd 2yo. I would consult a professional about the dosage, because I'm not sure how much that would be.

My son has foods he's super gassy with, and he also has had food allergies... his best friend had severe allergy reaction in that she wouldn't selep more than 45 min in one stretch (and that was not the norm).

GOod luck!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

I am happy to report, that my crappy sleeper is actually getting better. (well I'm not holding my breath, but he seems to be!) We gently started getting him into his own bed, and he wasn't happy with the idea at first, but nobody was rested and we couldn't take it anymore. We still help him get settled, he gets cuddles and nursies, and we always go in to help him in the night if he needs it. I have read about kids who just don't cosleep well, they actually sleep better in their own space, and I think that's my DS. He actually seems to be more rested now that he's got his own spot. If he wakes up early and I take him in bed with me, sometimes I get OK sleep and other times, he's kicking and thrashing like he always did before.

However, DH and I are still not sleeping the best!! We are so used to being interrupted that our brains are still hypervigilant at night! And being pregnant doesn't help, the baby often wakes up if I'm awake and kicks me for a while as I'm trying to sleep.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:53 AM

OK, I just found this thread. I guess, my dd has always refused sleep. She stopped napping at around 18 months but then she slept 12 hours at night. Of course, doesn't mean she slept through the night. Until probably 5 months ago, that is when she was 27 months old she would wake up a couple of times before I even was ready to sleep. So if she went to sleep at 8 pm, she would be up 3 times before I joined her. After I laid down with her for the night she would have a 2-3 hour stretch of sleep and then would again wake up every 2, 1.5 hours. I think her sleep became now more mature and she sleeps better. She usually nurses to sleep, goes down between 8 and 9 depending on the day and will wake up two times during her 11 hours of sleep which is a huge improvement for me.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 AM

I just stumbled very wearily across this thread. I have a whole housefull of crappy sleepers. My children are all pretty much night owls. They would be wonderfully happy to go to sleep at 2:00 am every night. Tonight I lucked out and the last child went to sleep a half an hour ago, and what am I doing? Posting to MDC :
Old 10-16-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mama8... we tried to let DS stay up til he was pretty much ready to crash, and we wore out long before he did...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:12 PM

I didn't even know this tribe existed!!! I am totally in!!! I have a major crappy sleeper!! 7.5 months old. Won't sleep in crib, very restless sleeper, comfort nurser constantly at night!: Driving me crazy, however, I love to sleep with him. But, my back is killing me and I haven't had more than 2.5 hours of straight sleep for over 7 months now!!! Argh!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 PM

count me in too! My dd is 14 months. She does great with the 7pm-12am and then it's all down hill from there! Waking just about every 2 hrs.UGGH! And it always changes as soon as you start saying how well they sleep...Hope to have a better night tonight!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:49 AM

I just saw this.

I'm a mommy of a frequent waker(s) too. DD1 slept thru the night from 2mths until she hit 9mths old. Since then she wakes up about 2-4x a night. Her worse night ever, was when i counted that i got up for her 12x in a span of 1.5hrs. :

She did sleep better after about 2yrs old but since she started school, it's worse. Also since she started school, dd2 wakes up in the middle of the night, missing her sister. So we get to have them both in our bedroom by 2am.

The baby sleep better than those two.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 10-26-2006, 01:10 AM

Just checking in on this thread. I have three kids. The oldest has always had difficulty at night. He is three and still wakes during the night, although we have worked with him a lot so that when he wakes, it isn't so disruptive to all of our schedules. We set up a little nest for him next to our bed so he can wander in at any time and sleep on the floor, and the understanding is that he doesn't wake us up unless he had a nightmare or needs help with something.

He also had night terrors for a while, which was just awful. I had a really hard time with that, but it did help a lot once I finally realized what was going on.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
Old 10-26-2006, 08:20 PM

I just found this...so count me in too! DS is almost one and wakes around every 1.5-2 hours.
Last night I got 4 uninterrupted hours of sleep in a row, the first time that has happened in over 6 months, so I'm feeling pretty high today!! It wasn't him who woke up, though, it was ME, and his head was sleeping between the wall and the bedframe, oh my goodness that was panic for me! I wonder if I woke up because I unconsciously felt that something was wrong, or if my brain is just used to waking up so much?!?!!
So, here's wishing at least 4 hours uninterrupted to all of us tonight! (most people I know IRL would be absolutely horrified if I told them how excited I was over 4 hours of sleep.....)
Old 10-26-2006, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, mamas! I am wondering if this tribe might be better suited to the Nighttime Parenting forum. You could still call it a tribe, but finding your tribe has some specific guidelines:
Quote:
Though Finding Your Tribe was originally opened to help parents find each other based on their location we have welcomed tribe threads for parents of a like-minded path to meet and chit chat with one another. However, such threads should not take a focus of discussion for a topic that is hosted in an existing forum at MDC.

A natural course of chit chat discussion might carry you into discussing your daily lives and sharing events and struggles. But focused discussion of a parenting topic, a breastfeeding issue or problem, an activist or political issue, a religious concern or belief, just to name a few, should go to the appropriate forum for discussion with the larger MDC community. If you have any question in this regard feel free to check with the moderators before posting. Should you post or thread not be appropriate for FYT on this basis it may be moved to the appropriate forum.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=168763

So, if conversation is mostly going to center around sleep issues rather than "chit chat," nighttime parenting would be a better home.

Let me know what you think!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-27-2006, 01:38 AM

I found this after it was suggested it be moved so hopefully I can find it again. I am the mom of a crummy sleeper! Unfortuanely, he is 10. No, not 10 months - 10 years. He is incredibly active, plays recreational soccer and competetive hockey and lacrosse and still very little sleep. He has multiple allergies, all being treated, as well as well controlled asthma so melatonin is contraindicated. if I'm not welcome I'll go back to my corner.:
Old 10-29-2006, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
I found this after it was suggested it be moved so hopefully I can find it again. I am the mom of a crummy sleeper! Unfortuanely, he is 10. No, not 10 months - 10 years. He is incredibly active, plays recreational soccer and competetive hockey and lacrosse and still very little sleep. He has multiple allergies, all being treated, as well as well controlled asthma so melatonin is contraindicated. if I'm not welcome I'll go back to my corner.:

Oh goodness, no, please don't go back to your corner... not unless it's your quiet nap spot! If you're awake, please stick around! What have you found over the years that has helped him? Or should I say, helped all of you get more sleep?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:00 PM

Count me in too! I have a 10mo that sleeps terribly! I nurse him to sleep at night starting in his sidecar crib. He wakes after 30min. I nurse him back to sleep. Then he wakes every hour til we come to bed. Then he wakes every 1-2hrs all night long, comfort nursing each time. I don't know what would help. I'm thinking of craniosacral therapy but am not sure if that would do anything to help with sleep or not.
:
Old 10-29-2006, 10:29 PM

My ds is 3 and a terrible sleeper. He slept good, waking only once a night until he was 2 months old. Just when it seemed he was going to start sleeping thru, he started to get restless and woke every hour - sometimes 4 times an hour. : In desperation I latched him every time he woke or was restless and fell back asleep. Worked for a while, but now at 3 years he still wakes 2--5 times a night and needs to nurse back to sleep. : I am jealous of those pp who say their 3 yo are now sleeping thru!

User Tag List