Camping and co sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
SLY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I want to go camping this summer with my hubby and DS. We co sleep, and I am not sure how to pull this off. DS will have to/want to sleep in close proximity to me (and my milk ), and he also likes to snuggle up to dad... Any ideas? zip 2 bags together? forget the bags and do a family camping deal w/an air mattress and lots 'o blankets? What do you guys think? Any experiences with this? I am not dying to do a hard core backpack experience, so family/car camping will do (for now). What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance-

Sally the Great, mom to Jacob the Great
:bf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 08:38 PM

Sally,

You'll love camping with your DS. We used to be hard core camping types. Now, an air mattress and lots of blankets works better for us than trying to all zip up together. Have fun!
#3 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 08:38 PM

We have a trip to a state park planned soon and will be car camping. This will be our first time also. My 14mo dd co-sleeps so I figured we'd probably zip our sleeping bags together and use an air mattress/sleeping pad.
#4 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 09:41 PM

I have a really bad back, and can't sleep on the floor of the tent in just a bag, even with a pad, so we caved and bought an air mattress. I LOVE it, it's even more comfortable than our actual mattress. We just bring all of our blankets and pile them on as many as we need. We'll continue to use the air mattress when we go camping with the baby, which I'm so excited about.
#5 of 9 Old 04-05-2003, 11:02 AM

we did it...but dd basically velcros herself to me anyway so DH just zips himself up into his bag and dd and I make a nest out of our 2 bags...if it's a cold night, we get closer to daddy.
I think camping is ideal for co-sleeping families. The proximity of mom and dad makes being in a strange tent with night noises outside safe...and there's no risk the kid will not sleep because of the newness of having mom and dad close, KWIM?

have fun...
mary, who should sleep on an air mattress with her 45-yr-old back, but toughs it out anyway!
#6 of 9 Old 04-05-2003, 11:52 AM

When do you know if your baby is ready (old enough) to sleep on an air mattress?

Ds will be 10 months at the start of camping season...we were thinking maybe waiting until June - he'll be 11 months.

what do you think?

happykat
#7 of 9 Old 04-05-2003, 10:01 PM

Oh, I can't believe I forgot to post about this. DH and I saw it on a baby shopping-trip, and were thinking about getting it...
http://www.badgerbasket.com/main/html/birdnest.asp

We like the rocker bed and it would be perfect in the tent if cosleeping in it doesn't work out.
#8 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 05:00 AM

we went camping last year and DD was 9mo, and loved it! We made one big bed on the floor of the tent (to heavy comforters on the bottom for insulation and then two sleeping bags on the bottom and two blankets on top) it was cold outside so I put a hat on DD to sleep with, but she got all sweaty and hot from being snuggled with mama and daddy.

Anyway, I think whenever you are comfortable with camping your child will be comfortable too. I don't think I would have my child sleep on their own though until they are much older. It gets way too cold at night and scary....snuggled in bed together is just so much funner and safer IMO!

We plan to camp this year too....I should post a pic of DD sleeping in the tent, it was one of my favorites!
#9 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 09:50 AM

We just went camping a couple of weeks ago for the first time with dd (11 mo). She had a blast and stayed warm snuggled between mom & dad, even though it got unseasonably cold! I was concerned but kept feeling her hands and feet and they were warm.

We used 2 cheapie air matresses for the pool and it was NOT the way to go. Mine deflated during the night. We are going to invest in a nice big air mattress since we will probably be doing a lot of camping.

thistle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page