Anyone out there co-sleeping but not nursing down to sleep? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-05-2003, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if always nursing to sleep is the norm out there, what other ways of getting baby off to sleep are in play, and how this affects nightwaking?
#2 of 6 Old 04-05-2003, 11:43 PM

I nurse until he is drowsy, and then dh rocks or pats him the rest of the way to sleep.
#3 of 6 Old 04-06-2003, 01:13 AM

We had a set routine since about 6 months... Now he's 15 months...

Hubbie rocks him to sleep after he's had plenty of yummy milk and a good tooth-brushing
& then just lies down in the bed with him for a few minutes until he settles in and falls back asleep.

He used to wake up throughout the night and nurse(which was fine with me). Unfortunately, at 11 months, I had to give up breastfeeding due to a chronic pain issue(started years before pregnancy) that was driving me nutty and I needed the freedom to take something without the extreme guilt. Somewhat selfish, I guess, but I figured I had dealt with the intense pain for over 20 months & it was time for some relief. Whew!

I am pleased with the bedtime routine, though. I've known a few friends that have said their babes cannot go to sleep without nursing. It is a relaxing time for both baby and momma, though.

Marlene
#4 of 6 Old 04-06-2003, 10:25 PM

I nurse down once or twice a week...the rest she nurses, then goes to DH in his chair and watches music videos and falls asleep. THough we have started slecting the videos for content. She likes women singers and outdoor scenes.
#5 of 6 Old 04-07-2003, 02:12 AM

My daughter stopped nursing two months ago, but we still co-sleep. After a bath, naked time, get into diaper and pajamas, drink or snack, brush teeth, we read three stories in bed, then I turn out the light and lie down with her until she falls asleep. For nap time, I am lucky that she likes to nap- she leads me to the bed when she is tired and I lie down with her.
#6 of 6 Old 04-07-2003, 02:17 AM

Until recently I've nursed her down, but she's going through a really wierd phaze where she won't sleep even an hour without me holding her. It's driving me crazy because the housework is piling up, so now I nurse her well, and if she's asleep she goes into the cradle, and dh comforts her back to sleep if she wakes. When she wakes to nurse later into the night she is welcomed into our bed. This works especially well because it allows dh & me some alone time, but we still get the benefit of co-sleeping.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page