This is getting ridiculous - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-05-2003, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Typically I nurse our 2.5 year old, and then dh comes up and rocks him to sleep (or sits beside his bed until he is asleep.) It takes him about 20 min. (Then around midnight ds trapses into our room and gets into bed with us for the rest of the night.)

WELL, tonight -- ds announced "I want to lay in my own bed, in my own room, and I want to fall asleep by myself."

Great -- fine. Seems like a good thing. But he has been "trying" for an hour and a half, and popping up every 3 or 4 minutes to tell us how its going! We keep trying to go help him, and he screams at us to "get out!" but he is not falling asleep! He's goofing around, and being silly, and its getting really late!

What the heck is going on in his head? Why won't he let us just come sit beside him? Ugh.
#2 of 4 Old 04-06-2003, 10:53 AM

So how did it go?
#3 of 4 Old 04-06-2003, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

After almost 2 hours, he came downstairs, put his head on my lap and fell straight to sleep beside me on the couch. He was acting "let down." He really wanted to "do this myself." Then he had a really great night's sleep.

Maybe I'll try to dig out some of his big brother's story tapes for him, if he wants to try this again.

I wonder where he even got the idea to fall asleep by himself? Never something we even mentioned as possible.
#4 of 4 Old 04-08-2003, 09:58 PM

Hey there Mamaduck,

My DS is learning to put himself to sleep also. Several months ago, he started putting his stuffed animals down for naps. He'd have them all in our bed, tell them a story and shock, didn't nurse them all before telling them goodnight, snuggling under the covers himself, and pretending to fall asleep. I don't know how this started, his own idea and also his very own lightbulb popping into his head. I do imagine that he is realizing that Mommy and Daddy sleep, but don't nurse down? *shrug*

Anyway, a few months of this and I decided to give it a whirl. Put him down awake (after nursing and rocking, 25 or so minutes) and after playing around a bit, he fell off to sleep. He was so fine with it that I was totally disconcerted. I think he was just ready. Some nights the playing lasts longer than others (like the night he sang chorus after chorus of U2's Lemon!) and others, he falls asleep rather quickly. And then, there are still nights when he doesn't want me to leave him until he's alseep. We're taking it a day at a time...

Anyway, the playing thing is a bugger if he can't get to sleeping within a reasonable amount of time. Like you said, it's getting late! I think the story tapes are a great idea. Since he wanted to go to bed from the get go (not a lot of nursing or rocking), maybe he just needs more help "setting the mood" for sleep? I know DS is having a more difficult time these days going from play to sleep... I'm looking into some options myself!

Best of luck!

Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page