bed against wall - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-05-2003, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're cosleeping with my 2 month old and our bed initially was open on both sides. Ds would go to sleep in between us, but then I had to flip him to my outer side when I would nurse on the other side during the night. I've become worried that he will roll off the bed.

So, we pushed my side against the wall. But I'm concerned that he might fall in the crack between the wall and the mattress. This seems to be one of the ways that babies suffocate in cosleeping and I want to safeguard against it. Any suggestions? We don't have a bedframe or headboard, if that would make any difference.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-06-2003, 12:27 AM

Hmmm....can you learn to feed him from the "top" breast while night nursing? that way he could stay between you. If not, can you lift him back while he's still asleep? I think that in between you two is the safest place, really.

You don't have a bedframe...does that mean your mattress is on the floor?

Do you keep the bed pushed up against the wall? I would check it every evening and keep it firmly against the wall. They have a tendency to creep out unless they're in a frame.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 9 Old 04-07-2003, 02:26 AM

Here's a great trick for when baby is sleeping on the outside:
Lay a large recieving blanket on the bed where you would normally sleep, with some of it hanging off the edge. Put the top edge at about where baby's armpits would go. Lay baby on the blanket and pull the bit that's hanging off over baby and smooth out so baby looks a bit like the filling in a blanket taco. Then lay yourself on top of the two layers of blanket. Does that make sense? Your baby can't roll off, and is nice and cozy. MUCH MUCH safer than having your bed against the wall.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#4 of 9 Old 04-07-2003, 12:01 PM

A friend's baby died when the daycare provider let her nap on the bed and she rolled into the crack between the wall and bed and suffocated.
#5 of 9 Old 04-07-2003, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Lila, thanks! I love that trick! I'm going to try it.

Also, and maybe I should post this in a new thread, has anyone tried a safety gate on the open side of the bed? Or does that have the same risks as the bed crack issue?

We basically have to have our bed next to the wall, but I want to treat it with the same attitude as if there is no wall and the baby could fall off the bed. That way, I could sleep on the outside side or the wall side and need the same safeguards, kwim?
#6 of 9 Old 04-07-2003, 05:51 PM

I also saw recently (and can't find the link to save my life) a prodct that was a large bolster with a blanket or mat attached. You put the mat/blanket under your mattress to keep the bolster attached to the side of the bed. Voila, no way baby can roll off bed (and perhaps a little safer than the do-it-yourself blanket trick, given that you could roll off the blanket and then there's nothing to keep the baby from falling off the bed).

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 9 Old 04-07-2003, 10:34 PM

If the blanket is large enough the risk is minimal. You could just as easily do it with a big sheet, and run it under yourself and dp for extra safety or if you move a lot in your sleep, diaper pin it down. For poor people like myself it beats spending money on a device. I have tried the rail. While they say it is the same risk as having the bed against a wall, most are now made of mesh but that only works if baby's face is not against the mattress.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#8 of 9 Old 04-07-2003, 11:03 PM

Hi - I just wanted to reply about the thingy Jane mentioned. Here's the link to the humanity bed:
http://humanityinfantandherbal.com/HTML/fambed.html

That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen and if I'd found it when I was pregnant I would have begged for it as a baby gift! It's expensive. What a wonderful family business that looks like, though.

mb

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#9 of 9 Old 04-07-2003, 11:19 PM

Thanks for posting that - that's what I was thinking of! It's not cheap. I like the idea of using a bigger bedsheet; with my baby a receiving blanket would not be big enough.

I also wonder whether you could do a less expensive version of this bolster thingy by sewing a body pillow pillowcase to a bed sheet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page