5:30 cluster feedings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 18mo DS had finally gotten into a good sleeping routine for a few months, but now is back to nursing every hour (give or take) during the night. I can usually tolerate it during the night because I can get him to detach and go back to sleep (for a little anyway), but when 5:00-5:30 comes around he wants to nurse constantly. If I get him to detach he wakes up saying "nana's please." I know he's getting a molar, but it's driving me insane. The past two mornings I've just gotten up because I couldn't take it, but I don't want to make this a routine of getting up so early. This morning he got up for a little and when I was ready to get out of bed he wanted to nurse and went back to sleep and is still sleeping.

I was just wondering if there's anything to do other than put up with it. :yawning:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 03:57 PM

.. i can't find the popcorn smiley... but anyways.. i'll be watching to see what other people say.. my babe is about 16.5 mo. and it sounds very similar to what you are experiencing.. it seems around 5a or 530 he just wants to suck...

i started putting him on the floor in a crib mattress... to see if that would help.. but he's normally in our bed by 1a or 2a.

good luck .. hopefully we have some btdt moms to learn from
Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 AM

: There it is. Yeah, that's us too.

I also tried the bed on the floor, but I usually pull him in ours the second or third time he wakes. I really didn't want to night wean, but I'm wondering if it might help. Someone at the LLL meeting suggested night snacks, but I haven't tried that. I think I'm going to start talking to him during the day about it, and maybe consider night weaning in a couple months if we don't see some changes. No teeth excuse here, by the way.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 PM

well... you've probably tried this.. but i was thinking of you this morning and what i did was in the morning he would want to nurse.. so we nursed for a bit then i unlatched him then i rolled over.. so if he REALLy wanted to nurse he would climb over me.. but half the time he would just think.. oh forget it.. and go back to sleep..

i've done this for a while.. i just didn't mention it in my previous post.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

well, this morning i did try rolling on my back to make it harder for him, but he just kept crying. I then got up and went to the living room and told him he would have to come in there if he wanted to nurse... here he comes ready to nurse. I tried giving him water and that didn't help. Then I set a timer for 5 minutes and told him the "nanas" were asleep and he would have to wait for the timer... he cried until it went off. All of that took place within 1 1/2 hours. He slept good when he finally went back to sleep, but I feel like if this keeps up he's going to make bad sleep associations. So I'm just wondering if I need to get some videos ready to turn on when 5:00 rolls around and just suck it up. I'm just confused.

Thanks for the idea katarn!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:51 AM

Have you considered that your little one is waking around that time with a full bladder? I've used elimination communication with all 3 of my kids. While still nursing frequently during the night they would wake early and seem to want to nurse a lot. If I took them potty then nursed back to sleep they would stay asleep. If I was too sleepy to potty them they would be restless and then eventually fall back to sleep.
I know ec isn't for everyone but this is what came to my mind as I read this thread. My 8 mo dd does this now. She's usually dry until between 4 and 7. She's much easier to get back to sleep after her bladder is empty. Just a thought.

User Tag List