help! another desperate co-sleeper - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-07-2003, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just another voice in the chorus of sleepy moms. My 5 1/2-month son is waking up about every 1 1/2-2 hours or even more frequently. He's been in bed with us since he was born, but we started to wonder if he (and we) might sleep better if he moved to his crib for at least part of the night. We started doing a Pantley-inspired routine, and things were going well for a few days. He was peacefully going to sleep at 6:45 and staying in his crib (with a few brief wake-ups) until anywhere from 12-3 AM. But the last few nights, he's refused to fall asleep in his crib. He seems sleepy but then comes back to raging life when I put him in the crib and cries and cries until I finally lie down next to him in our bed and nurse him to sleep. His nose gets really stuffed up in the middle of the night, too, even when he doesn't seem to have a cold during the day, and nothing seems to help--not decongestants, vaporizing, nose-suctioning, dusting the bedroom like crazy. Could he be allergic to our mattress?

I'm so tired and frustrated. I just want more rest and peace so I can enjoy my son, because I love him so much. I guess what I'm looking for here is the usual: support, stories of what's worked for others, reminders that this won't be forever! Thank you!
#2 of 2 Old 04-07-2003, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds so familiar. We tried the crib thing too (felt we had to) and it didn't work. Ds is back in bed with us, sleeping inconsistently, waking every 2-3 hours crying. With teething and learning how to walk, I'm expecting at least a few more months of pretty poor sleep.

The thing that has helped me is that I've been laying down with him during his naps out of necessity. Wee're trying naps on a mattress on the floor (because ds will crawl off the bed when he wakes) and I'm laying down with him to help him feel more comfortable in the new spot. I actually slept two days ago and I'm still running on that rest! I know that sleeping when the baby sleeps is one of those things that everyone says to do, but seems impossible, but really, the laundry can wait (usually ).

I'm sure others will have suggestions. I wish you luck finding something that will help you and your baby get better rest.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page