ever use a side rail with a baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-07-2003, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, I'm curious about a side rail or a co-sleeper in the family bed...
#2 of 5 Old 04-07-2003, 08:15 PM

We never used one at home, but bought a side rail for visiting and traveling after an unfortunate incident in which ds fell out of bed in a hotel room and hit his head on the nightstand. (*Pain* still, when I think about it.) Our set up at home is very secure, with the bed snug against the wall, and not on a bed frame, so we never needed the rail except when away.
#3 of 5 Old 04-07-2003, 09:23 PM

We moved dd into our bed when she was a couple months old---she had been in a bassinet right beside the bed. We had a queen size at that point ( 2 adults 1 babe and 2 cats) dd slept in between us, I did get a guardrail in case she was ever on the outside but mostly it kept ME from falling out of bed ---I also have one for travel that folds up really compact, both are mesh inside a padded metal frame.
#4 of 5 Old 04-08-2003, 09:08 PM

We just retired our cosleeper because dd (7 mos) was waking up every 1 1/2-2 hours after we put her down in it. She'd fall asleep as we lifted her to comfort her, then start crying as soon as we put her down. I started just leaving her in the big bed after she nursed to sleep and she slept for 6 hours! The only problem is that we have a futon bed frame which means that we have a mattress but no box spring. I haven't found a rail that will work on it. The top of the mattress is only about 20 inches off the ground. Does anyone know how safe this height is, or if it's possible to get a rail that works on our bed?:
#5 of 5 Old 04-08-2003, 09:24 PM

we got one and it was stupid and pointless. she was 9 months old when she squirmed up to the top of it and fell out of the bed anyway. we disassembled it and put it in the closet the next day. we now sleep on mattresses on the floor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page