Cosleeping in a full size bed-need advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-08-2003, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

Our first baby is due in 3 weeks and my husband and I are planning to cosleep. We have a full size bed-is there anyway for this to work? Our house is super tiny, there isn't any room in our bedroom for a larger bed or even a crib. Also, we are completely out of money for buying anything new at the moment-we still have to pay the midwives!

So, we're just looking for reassurance. Can we all fit in a full-sized bed? We aren't big people and have never felt crowded in the bed until recently, but that's because I'm so big with the pregnancy and need a million pillows.....Please be honest though if you think this won't work, I just hate the idea of a crib in another room......

Thanks,
Allie
#2 of 3 Old 04-08-2003, 07:09 PM

For two months we lived in a furnished apt with a full size bed. It was a huge change from the king size bed we'd had at our old place. Our DD was 2.5 months old when we moved to the full size. It worked out fine in that DD was in the middle and always had tons of room b/c DH and I are really aware of her. But I'll admit I got pretty sore after a few weeks. I could only sleep on my side, facing DD, b/c there was no room for me (my DH is a big guy) and I would get sore hips, sore everything. It helped to have pillows for between my legs and behind my back, but I was glad to get out of there.

One suggestion I have is can you put your mattress on the floor and get rid of your bedframe, just for a while? If you can do that, you may have enough room to put a toddler size mattress or something beside you. You can even make a bed out of pillows and stuff if you don't want to buy anything - if you get rid of your boxspring even you could be right down next to baby.

I'll tell you in those early weeks your baby will be nursing alot so you don't want to bother with a bassinet or other such thing that requires you to life the baby when it's feeding time. Ideally you want to just roll over and nurse.

I strongly encourage you to cosleep: you will get alot more rest and it is just SUCH a precious time to spend with your baby! I'm sure if you do some rearranging in the bedroom you can find a way to get more room but if not, it CAN be done in a full size...for a while at least, lol.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 3 Old 04-08-2003, 10:31 PM

We have a full-sized bed for the same reason--little space, less money. WE cosplet with DS! until he was 10 months and rolled out of the bed one night. IT worked out just fine, we cuddled, I nursed, it wasn't a big problem.

Once he was on his own little bed--a single (smaller than twin) futon on the floor, someone usually slept down there with him for at least part of the time. When DS2 arrived, our big guy wanted back in the big bed. We tried it for a while, but no one was sleeping. Eventually DS1 wanted to go back to his "tiny" as we call it, as long as someone came with him. So we play musical beds, and it's okay.

If I had my drutthers, we would have lent our full-sized bed (a beautiful antique my grandmother left me) to someone in the family, forked over the cash for a kig sized bed (with lots of storage space underneath to make up for the dresser we would have to give up) or at the very least a full or queen sized futon directly on the floor (hard to imagine getting on the floor now, at 3 weeks to your due date, I know...). WE'd have been a bit more comfortable for certain. But I would never have given up on co-sleeping for those first several months. There were many benefits--but the greatest on was being able to nurse as needed without climbing all the way out of sleep. Plus there is the yummy factor. Sleeping babes are delicioso....(even if their toes are in your ear)

Congrats on the babe....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page