Sidecarring the crib ?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been cosleeping with my ds for quite awhile he is starting to get more mobile and I want to keep him safe , I was thinking of sidecarring the crib but not sure how to , to keep it from moving ... any ideas would be great. Thanks
#2 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 12:44 AM

I don't have any suggestions for sidecarring a crib. When our dd got mobile we just moved the mattress to the floor. This works really well for us and keeps our baby safe.
#3 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 01:39 AM

We LOVE our sidecarred crib arrangement-- best thing we ever did for our sleep! We took the 4th wall off the crib and tied the crib legs to the bedframe, then pushed the crib mattress tight up against our mattress and packed the space between the mattress and wall of the crib (on the other side from the bed) with some rolled up towels, then covered all of that with a crib sheet. We also got a bedrail for the other side of the bed, and we put our headboard at the foot so DS can't fall off there either... we've never had any problems with DS falling out, fortunately!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#4 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 01:40 AM

we just let gravity do the job and had the crib against one wall thn our bed but try this http://groups.msn.com/SteveandLishsF...decarcrib.msnw it gives great pictures and dirrections. We loved this arrangment.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#5 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 01:52 AM

We have ours against a wall and our bed is snug up against it....it aint going anywhere for a long time...lol.

I have a few pics somewhere if you wanna see them
#6 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 02:06 AM

When dd got mobile we taught her how to get down safely. Worked well.

-Angela
#7 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 02:14 AM
DBZ

We also have the crib set up side car. Bungy cords work great at making sure things stay in place. I also taught my DD how to get down safely. At 12 months old she wakes from her nap, gets down and comes to find me. It's so cute.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#8 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 03:17 AM

Some great suggestions

We loved the same arrangement when our son was younger!

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#9 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 PM

we used Bungee cords this is how we set up our side car http://groups.msn.com/SteveandLishsF...decarcrib.msnw
#10 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 05:55 PM

Our side-car crib is a convertible crib, designed to have the front off as a "toddler bed" someday. So it's very sturdy as a side-car crib - never moved once and we didn't have it against the wall or anything.
#11 of 19 Old 10-01-2006, 07:44 PM

We have a convertable crib so right now it is a toddler bed pushed up to my side of the bed. I syffed pillows in the small space between my bed and his crib. He starts off in his crib but by 1 he has crawled up with us. Best thing we did! He is so restless and active in his sleep and we only have a queen so this is working much better!
#12 of 19 Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 AM
J2

subbing...

I just asked this same question in a new thread, but I'll just read here for info!
#13 of 19 Old 10-02-2006, 02:37 PM

we put the crib against the wall with the bed against the crib. we use a pool noodle to take up the extra matress space so we stay snug together.
#14 of 19 Old 10-15-2006, 01:51 AM

We're about to do this -- feels like there is *no* room in our queen bed for the three of us -- and I was wondering: for those whose bed isn't just on the floor, do you put the crib so it's a little higher than your bed, or a little lower?
#15 of 19 Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
When dd got mobile we taught her how to get down safely. Worked well.

-Angela
:

I put our mattress on the floor anyway because when DS first started crawling he would crawl all over the place at night- screaming his head off, not asleep but not awake, good times, good times - due to developmental leaps he was making daily + teething, but I taught him to get off the bed backwards so he was fine on other beds and on ours once I replaced the boxsprings and frame about 6 weeks later. Just demonstrate how to climb off the bed backwards, you'll be surprised how quickly DC can pick it up. The fun part is that it makes them think they can get off anything backewards (re: dock).
#16 of 19 Old 10-16-2006, 05:13 AM
Dal

The side-car option didn't work for us. It interferred with my ability to snuggle with Simon and made it a pain to get out of bed. We didn't try it beyond the time he was an infant, though, so maybe it would have been o.k. at a later time. We put our mattress on the floor and it stayed that way until Simon was 2 or so. He's 2.5 now and we have a kingsize bed on a low-rise frame (still high up though).
#17 of 19 Old 06-29-2013, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPM View Post

We're about to do this -- feels like there is *no* room in our queen bed for the three of us -- and I was wondering: for those whose bed isn't just on the floor, do you put the crib so it's a little higher than your bed, or a little lower?

This thread is old, but this question didn't get answered.  Is it safer to have the crib slightly above or below the level of the bed?

Thanks!

#18 of 19 Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Gooseberry, I padded underneath the crib mattress to make our sidecar exactly the same height as the bed.  That way I can scootch in there to nurse, then easily get back to my own sleeping space.  It's like one big giant awesome bed!  I sleep pretty close to the crack between the beds, so that DD can't crawl out of the sidecar without crawling over (and waking) me.

If you want it different heights, I'd make it a couple of inches lower.  The Arm's Reach Cosleeper is set up that way (about 3-4 inches lower than the bed mattress).  It's designed to keep baby from accidentally rolling into your space and getting tangled in your covers.

#19 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks, Zirconia.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page