Mothering Forum banner

Nightlights and the family bed

767 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  goodcents 
#1 ·
We finally had to take the box spring out from under the mattress in the bedroom, cause DS was crawling off the bed. So, now he can easily get off the bed while we're sleeping. He hasn't done this yet, but I worry about him crawling off and getting into trouble or something. I plan to put the baby gate up so he at least can't get out of the bedroom, but we've got another little problem. We have this little bear nightlight that's plugged in right next to the bed, so that we can see for the middle-of-the-night feedings and so that DH can see when he goes to bed at 3 a.m.
DS has recently discovered the wonders of the nightlight and is drawn to it. When we're awake, it's okay, because we can divert his attention, but what happens if he tries to play with it while we're sleeping?
Have any of you woken up to find the baby was WIDE awake and messing around in the bedroom? Would I naturally wake up if I felt him stirring that much anyway?

#2 ·
I wake up if my baby (1 yo) moves around that much, but from my experience I don't want anything close by causing him to *want* to be up (like a cute nightlight), kwim? We use a nightlight too, but we have it plugged into an extension cord so that it sits on the dresser and the baby can't play with it.

#3 ·
I used a flashlight (actually REI camping head light- the kind with 2 batteries so not too bright) when we moved our bed to the floor. I kept it unobtrusive in the middle of the night and let ds play with it during the day. Your dh could use a second flashlight to come in at night. It is also worth learning to nurse in the dark. It took me well over a year to figure this one out but I was a slow learner and my son a chomper. Now we have no light in the bedroom-just a small nightlight down the hall in the bathroom.

#5 ·
I tried having a little push light that ran off batteries for middle of the night feedings. But, ds#1 loved to play w/it. I found a nightlight at Baby Depot that's completely safe. It responds to the amt of light in the room so you never have to turn it off/on. You replace the light switch panel so they can't pull it out. And, it's totally babyproofed around the bulb.

#6 ·
We bought these lights at ikea similar to christmas lights - in the shape of stars which we have strung up in the window. They are great they give enough light for be to bf, or change a diaper, but are not bright or obtrustive.

It still might invite some wondering hands - but at least they wouldnt be near an outlet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.