Mothering Forum banner

need suggestions

686 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rie&BugsMom 
#1 ·
Hi everyone - I am a mothering "renewal". I used to visit this site all the time but computer woes took me away for about a year. But I am happy to be back!!! Anyway, I have 2 questions.
1st - My 1 year old shares our bed and always has. We love it! However, he goes to bed fine and then everynight it seems he wakes up every hour or so until I go to bed and then he has "normal" night wakings for nursing. It doesn't bother me during the night because I don;t wake really wake up all the way. But I do enjoy having a couple to hours to relax, talk to my husband, watch a movie, etc without having to get up every hour or more to get him back to sleep. I got The "No-Cry Sleep Solution" and we are working on those suggestions but I really don't see how that is going to help him sleep longer stretches. He's not hungry, he just wakes up. I know that he just hasn't learned to get through those lighter sleep periods without fully awakening. Any suggestions? By the way, We are staunchly opposed to "cry it out" so that is not under any circumstances an option for us!
2nd - my 3 1/2 year old goes to sleep in his own bed and will have 3-4 days of sleeping through the night fine. Then other nights he wakes up about midnight and wants to co-sleep, then back to sleeping alone, and so on and so forth. Is this just the transition to sleeping fully independent? We're fine either way, I guess I just wish he'd pick one so we know what to count on.

Thanks!
Kelly

See less See more
#3 ·
Kelly, my 3 1/2 -year-old DD sleps half the time in her own room and then gos through stretchs of sleeping back with us. Don't hav answers... it's OK with us this way. My ds won't sleep unless I'm nxt to him- he feels for me in the bed.

(the e on my keyboard is not working right so forgiv typos)

#4 ·
mama22gr8boys - I sympathize with the situation that you have and I can understand that it might be frustrating for you....But I try to look at things on the positive side. For instance...you children are young and really need you right now, and that is okay. Keep reminding yourself that that is an okay thing. They are only responding to their needs when they wake and need you. I know your dh is important to you and spending quality time together is important....plan something special for the two of you to do together for just an hour since you know you will be needing to be with your 1yr old. For instance..... you guys could have a special snack or desert for two with candles lit. You could set aside one evening for an hour to have conversation that is important to the two of you, you could shower together, give each other back massages. Get out the brush and have him brush your hair while the two of you watch your favorite sitcom that usually lasts for 30 minutes only. I am sure that both you and your dh would love the extra added attention even if it is only for 30 minutes to a half hour. Any of you other ladies out there have suggestions??? Here is another one.....let him paint your toenails. There are all sorts of ways of spending quality time together in a short amount of time. Mine are a lot older than yours are right now.....but each and every special time you can have with your dh during this time of raising confident, secure little ones will benefit the two of you and will keep your relationship strong. Good luck

Kathleen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.