Mothering Forum banner

do we need a bigger bed?

763 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dandelions2 
#1 ·
Our dd is almost 14 months now and just recently started to co-sleep with us. Before she was always in her crib in her own room because she preferred it that way, but now she wants to be with us. We have a queen size bed and it is working out fine for the three of us. However, I am 14 weeks pregnant and I can't see how we could fit another baby in our bed. Hubby is a big guy (I mean BIG!) and he takes up half the bed, so dd and I are on the other half and she sleeps all sprawled out, so I am usually on the edge. It was hard at first, but I'm used to it now and sleep fine. There is no way that another baby can fit in bed, but I want to be able to roll back and forth between the two of them to nurse at night. Do we have to get a king? I'd really hate to have to get a new bed since ours is only 2 years old. I've been looking into co-sleepers, but I see that I'd have to get the baby out of there to actually nurse, so that won't work. I've thought about maybe borrowing a toddler bed from my mom and putting it in my room for dd to sleep in, but I don't know how she'd deal with that by the time baby is here - she may not want to be in a separate bed. I need ideas!

Patti

#2 ·
Could you put your mattress on the floor, and then put another mattress (perhaps a twin) alongside it? I know that a lot of families do that. We have a king sized mattress on the floor, and I feel like even it will be too small eventually (my babies are kickers already!). You could get a king and save your queen, and then maybe someday your kids could co-sleep together when they've moved out of your bed. We had just bought a double bed when I found out I was pg with twins, so I know what you mean about not wanting to buy another one so soon. I figure we'll still get to use the double for the boys to share when they move out of our bed (if they ever do. . . who knows?). I certainly don't want to go back to anything smaller than a king ever again. . . it's great!

Lex

#5 ·
Has anyone ever tried to attach a crib to the side of their bed? I think I read about it in a Dr Sears book once, but I can't remember which one. I can't see how I could actually attach it, but I think I'll see if I can remove a railing and then put it up against the wall and then push our bed all the way against it that way it will be held tight there. The only thing is, our mattress is really low and I don't know if the crib mattress goes that low. We'll have to see. Hopefully I could nurse the new babe while it is in the crib and have dd in between me and hubby like she is now. I actually think it would be easier to have dd in the crib since she won't nurse as much as a newborn at night (I hope) and have the new babe right next to me, but hubby was never comfortable with a brand new tiny baby next to him at night. He was always scared he'd hurt her.

I really don't want to have to get rid of our bed because we have a whole matching bedroom set from JC Penney and they don't make it anymore so I wouldn't be able to get a matching bed and I absolutely love our furniture. Also, getting a new mattress means getting a new plastic cover for it, and a mattress pad, and sheets, blankies, all that - KWIM?

Patti

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.