Baby sleep A to Zzz from "Parents" magazine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2003, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the latest issue of Parents (I received the subscription as a gift) there's the ABC of baby sleep. Here are some of the tips:

break the sleep-nursing association
do not rock to sleep
C is for cry-it-out (of course!)
"Don't be surprised if baby cries for over an hour"
F is for Family bed...the AAP recommends putting baby in the crib, FB is dangerous
Don't get too cuddly

If you have a second, drop a line the idiotic editors of this magazine. [email protected]

I did and i am canceling my subscription

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Banned

Not surprising given that Sears is such a major contributor to that mag and hosts online chats, has a message board, etc.

That mag sux, imo.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I think Sears is a contributor to Parenting, not Parents.

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Old 04-14-2003, 02:59 PM

Here is the address of the article.

http://www.parents.com/articles/ages...tages/5317.jsp

Sigh. Poor babies.

happykat
Old 04-14-2003, 04:16 PM

Wow that was like a poke in the ribs for me! I recently read that mag(big mistake, only got me mad ) and had been meaning to email them and tell them how I feel:sinister .Now I have, thanks. I feel much better now

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
Old 04-14-2003, 06:02 PM

I read that article too and was appalled! I have canceled my subscription too!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:02 PM

I dropped them an email and added my 2-cents
Old 04-14-2003, 09:06 PM

Ditto for me too. I will be cancelling my subscription also.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:09 PM

I'm writing an email...that article is disgusting.

Kylix
Old 04-15-2003, 06:23 PM

I recently cancelled my subscription to them because of the many assinine parenting "tips" they have.

It's so sad that so many new parents think they are the authority on so many things.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:54 PM

I cancelled my subscripion a few years ago after I discovered Mothering. Well, I guess it's been five years now! Anyway, I was apalled that my first parent style magazine was full of such misinformation and crap! I give every pregnant mother that I know a subscription to Mothering!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 04-16-2003, 12:40 PM

I came on to post about this as well. I recieve Parents but did not subscribe. They sent me free mags for two years after I had ds#1. Now, I'm getting them again ever since ds#2 was born. Anyone know why?

I am also very dissapointed in the kind of information that is handed out to the mainstream community. That's why I'm proud to be a crunchy Mothering reading Mama!

We all know this information is wrong, but a lot of Parent's readers do not and get the wrong idea about co-sleeping. It makes me angry too. I will also write a letter to the editor.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:41 PM

I wrote a letter but doubt I'll hear back from them. I'm sure they have no use for us and our thoughts!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 04-16-2003, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, a year ago, I sent them an email and then had an interesting discussion/excahnge with Allison Pennel one of the editors. She suggested I post on the board where Mindell goes, but I told her I didn't want to register.
I couldn't find Mindell's addy or I would've copied her on it.

I have written since but she never wrote back, she probably thinks I'm a loony anyway!

Old 04-16-2003, 11:35 PM

:Puke

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 04-16-2003, 11:46 PM

And that is why I let my Parents subscription run out. Never anything useful in it anyway. I think I may just send an email out to them.

On the same topic, I found I can not go to the mainstream playgroup board I belonged to while pregnant anymore, I find myself yelling at posts about CIO, one mom was even saying how she sat outside her baby's room for an hour listening to him cry, and crying herself, but still left him there!! ARGH!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:46 AM

benz - i left mine for the same reasons. one mama i had just loved when we were pg went and weaned her baby to formula at 6 months after a trouble-free nursing relationship b/c she "wanted her body back". six months is a blink of an eye...was it so hard? i can't imagine...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 04-17-2003, 11:27 AM

I can't imagine quitting nursing at 6 months just because you want your body back. Same with weaning an infant to go on vacation. After weaning my first son at 3 1/2 months(I HAD to work, and had been nursing him part time since 6 weeks, but my supply dropped dramatically, and it wasn't working anymore) I was determined to nurse Jonathen for at least a year, and now the goal is 15 months( I do want to wean him about then, because when DH gets back, we're going to be TTC again, plus DH has some issues with nursing a toddler)
Old 04-17-2003, 03:19 PM

I got a reply to my E-mail: They sent this generic crap about getting soooo many e-mails that they can't keep up so here are some answers to commonly asked ?s. How to subscribe, how to submit, how to get your kid on the cover, blah blah blah!!! Oh well, I tried.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
Old 04-17-2003, 03:42 PM

Quote:
break the sleep-nursing association
do not rock to sleep
C is for cry-it-out (of course!)
"Don't be surprised if baby cries for over an hour"
F is for Family bed...the AAP recommends putting baby in the crib, FB is dangerous
Don't get too cuddly
Oh dear! That is so sad. And to think new mothers who may have thought about doing just that and now aren't.

I was home alone and had use the bathroom badly. I put my son in his play and go since he was sleeping at the time. Its next to my bed. Well he woke right up and there was no way I could get him. Boy he was so upset, he was all shaking and that was only 8 minutes of cry let alone 60 minutes. Took another hour for him to claim down with me laying with him and nursing. And he still did the sniffs until he fell asleep again. Told my husband there was no way I would ever cio not that I had but that made it set in stone.

My son goes to work with me and the owners wife would tell me all the time about how she stopped breastfeeding because she wanted her body back.

Ugh I could go on and on.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:26 PM

I want to thank each and every one of you for caring.
How lucky your babies are. How unlucky the babies of this writer and this style of parenting are.

And we wonder why we are all so screwed up, when someone tells parents to ignore their child's despair for an hour, for weeks.......oh but then they'll right some lame-a## article how to have a compassionate child......

Rocking to sleep is a BOO BOO? GIve me an F-ing break! I LIKE getting cuddly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 04-17-2003, 11:49 PM

And then there's "B"

B is for Bullsh*!$%!

What a ridiculous article! I just get so sad when things like this get printed. I know I will hear it quoted to me sometime.

Here is a summary of the article:

If your instincts tell you something, completely ignore them and do the opposite. Did I get that about right?

YUCK!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 04-18-2003, 12:08 AM

Okay I am back. Cuddle time is SO important to me.
He loves to be rocked to sleep. Every Sunday grandma gets to rock him to sleep for his morning nap. I think its almost better for her then him
Old 04-18-2003, 12:14 AM

I can't get this article out of my head. It makes me SO sad to think of tiny babies crying for any amount of time just wanting their mommy or daddy to cuddle them. They're so helpless. And then thinking about my older children and how they just yearn to feel close to us. These articles are just promoting child abuse, IMO.

Old 04-18-2003, 07:35 PM

ditto ditto ditto. so sad. I wrote them an email too. I don't even need to read the article, I know what it says. Thanks for supplying the email address!
Old 04-18-2003, 11:42 PM

I recieved a generic responce from Parents saying that they will give a personal responce in a couple weeks. I will post my reply if they really do respond. I would be interested in reading other's responces as well.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:30 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh I just emailed.

That feels better.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 04-22-2003, 02:32 AM

I just read that stupid article too! The magazine was in the waiting room of where i work.

I wrote them a email and here's what i said:

Dear Parents magazine:

Please see attatched website on research done on baby sleep and why you should not let a baby CIO. I suggest in the future you do some research before printing such damaging articles.

Until you can come up with known proof that CIO and not cuddling with your baby is helpful for the development of a babies brain and emotions, please do not give such crappy advice to new mothers.

If you are interested i can provide you with numerous other articles that demonstrate how detremental CIO is.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/...enNeedTou.html

Thanks for supplying the email address...i've been thinking about how mad i was at that article too!
Old 04-22-2003, 03:17 AM

Quote:
K is for kisses. We know it's hard to resist showering your cutie pie with affection, but don't get too cuddly when you're trying to put her back to sleep in the middle of the night. At three in the morning, you're better off with a businesslike attitude than a lovefest, Dr. Mindell advises.
Love this one. Yeah, I'm going to take a "businesslike attitude" with my sobbing infant. Cuddling a sad child in the middle of the night is somehow wrong?

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
Old 04-22-2003, 03:30 AM

this so drives me NUTS!!! And beyond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!No wonder there are so many mainstream mammas out there stressing over sleep and stressing over wether or not it's "okay" to cuddle their sweet baby and wether or not formula is just as good as breast milk and so much more!!!! Hello!!! This is one of the most popular parenting mags in the U.S.!!!! Urgh! Hello!!!! ARGH!!! I had no idea that cio and other similar things were still promoted so much!!!!! Hello!!!! Urgh. I used to read this mag when dc #1 was a babe and learned by the time he was 7 months or so that all the mainstream mags said the same things and said them over and over and over and were just fluff. But I haven't picked one up since then, so I guess I've been out of the loop. Urgh. Kudos to you who have written them! I need to do that too. As soon as I can stop saying Urgh so much.

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

User Tag List