Was sleeping almost through the night, now waking tons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2003, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter is just over 5 months old. We don't co-sleep (I am a severe insomniac) but I always respond immediately when she wakes. Up til the past week she was going to bed at 7:30, waking to nurse around 4:30 and then sleeping til 6:30. Now she is going to bed at 7:30, waking at 8:30, 10:00, 12:00, 4:00 and then up at 5:30 for the day! I think she's teething but nothing coming through yet. Could she be really hungry because she needs solids or something? I really want to wait until 6 months as I did for my son but I remember he started waking tons around this time and didn't start sleeping better until we started solids. Any advice for me?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2003, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Solid foods are just ONE reason a child may sleep through the night. They are not necessarily related, (I say this because one of my kids did not sleep through until age three, which a survey of Mothering magazine said was not unusual at all) and in my opinion this is probably a growth spurt. All children go through phases where they wake more, then sleep more, that is totally normal. And if you think it's teething you are probably right, since you know her best.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 04-20-2003, 10:25 PM
Kam

I'm sorry you are waking more these days. Maybe cosleeping would help you get more sleep during this tough phase? When I would lie down with Meg early in the evening, she would sleep better. That is the only real advice I can offer because it is the only thing that helped me. Have you read The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley? I found that book really helpful in understanding what kind of patterns were normal, and helping Meg to find her own sleep schedule.

Meg did just what your little one is doing at about the same time. The frequent waking lasted a month or two for Meg, and has reappeared briefly once in a while since then, but was only really hard for less than two months right around the time Meg was five months old.
She was teething, but not ready for solids yet. We started giving her tastes of things at six months, and she let us know very clearly that she wasn't interested. She wasn't crawling yet, or even trying to do so. I really think it was her teeth. Once they popped, her sleep greatly improved.

Good luck. I hope you are both sleeping better soon.

warmly,
Kam, mama to Meg
Old 04-21-2003, 12:37 PM

Found teething to be a big waker-upper.

I know it's not for everyone, and you find it hard because of your own sleep difficulty, but sleeping together would make it much easier to deal with. Baby nurses, you sleep.

Just a thought ...

User Tag List