Is this anyone's business? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-24-2006, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
The fact that you're a surgeon might help too, you know. Some of us lesser mortals can catch a whole lot of hell for telling the truth and don't feel like fighting an uphill battle every single time.
FWIW, my dd's pediatrician thinks I'm an earthy-crunchy over-coddling, too-attached, under-medicating, under-vaccinating mad momma.

I'm in great company, as far as I'm concerned !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2006, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcook View Post
I'm talking politics here...what I need to know is WHAT can be done to manifest change in current hospital policy. Clearly there must be some RNs or MDs in the forum who know the proper channels.

I'm sure we ALL agree that the verbage in this "fact" sheet needs to be change. It shouldn't exist at all as far as I'm concerned, but I need to be realistic. I'm moving from Syracuse very soon...and I would like to start the ball rolling on this issue before I go.

I thought this forum would be a good place to connect with like-minded, intelligent and loving parents who could brainstorm with me and make changes.
there are links in this thread to kathy? dettwyler's website, totally research based stuff. james mckenna has a website with safe cosleeping guidelines. "mothering" has its whole issue. if you combine that with a "we support cosleeping" type of petition?... i'm not much of a political animal, and i'm pretty jaded about the likelihood of getting a corporation (which hospitals are) to make changes unless you affect their revenue. i can tell you that most hospitals' latest focus is customer service, because it relates to revenue. maybe if you approach it from that perspective, such as the responses that were happy with st. joe's, the competition. I know here in the bay area my hospital has a reputation as the poorer, dirtier hospital, but you're much less likely to be c-sectioned here than at clean, pricey CPMC across town (except that we're now merging with them... so, so much for that). and we let homebirth CNM midwives who transport stay involved/in the lead, instead of marginalized. i let all my pregnant friends know this, although many still feel "safer" at CPMC because of its overall reputation, and their acceptance of the view that birth is medical crisis that needs intervention.

as far as proper channels, i'm in "ancillary services" as a physical therapist, (my "i hear you're a nurse" comment was partly about how the grapevine transmutes the facts). i'm not too sure of where you go to discuss policy. maybe try a Michael Moore type approach. show up and ask who you can talk to, then when s/he passes the buck move on to the next person up the ladder.

my signature is usually illegible

User Tag List