Developmental/Age Guidelines? Kids sharing bed - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 11-18-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We play musical beds to try to meet all needs in our household responsively and restfully. As of now my DD is too young to sleep with her brother, but I'm thinkin' ahead. The only guideline I've ever read was in (I think) the No Cry Sleep Solution, and it was not really discussed... just mentioned, that kids could sleep together without a parent when the younger one is 18 months old. I also read Good Nights and that wasn't mentioned. Great book, but it assumes that all sleep sharing will be with parents.

So, anyone else have guidelines you've learned ina book or empiracally (by experience) of what age or other developmental milestone to judge whether kids can sleep together. I want to make sure that they're ready. I'm sure at a point I'll be able to judge this by myself based on MY kids, but I'm wondering if for some reason I should be waiting until 18 months.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 4 and my dd is almost 18 months. They sometimes sleep together if they both fall asleep in our bed. Half the time ds will actually fall asleep in his own bed and come into our bed later or dh sleeps with him in his bed. Anyways, they seem to sleep together fine for the early part of the night before dh and I go to bed. Ds is a bit of a mover so there's been a few times where dd has been woken up to an arm thrown across her head but mostly it's been fine. I want to encourage them sleeping together to see if it helps dd with her nightwakings but right now she wakes to nurse so ds can't really help with that. Lately she's been waking and going back to sleep without nursing sometimes so maybe....just maybe.....

I don't know about an official age that kids are ready to share a bed with an older sibling but we feel pretty comfortable doing it right now. BTW...I hear you on the musical beds. That's the term I use to describe our household.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page