You know you have a family bedroom when... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 12-13-2006, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone started a thread on the toddler forum that began "you know you have a toddler when..." and 7 pages of hilarious stuff came after that. So, I thought I'd start a simliar one on this forum to laugh at the antics of a family bed...

YOu know you have a family bedroom (or bed) when.....

you hear your dd sleep talking things like "NO! I don't want to! REally bad pee pee!"

Your toddler starts crying in her sleep and your baby wakes up for real!

Your baby starts crying and your toddler wakes up for real!

just when you nurse your baby back to sleep in the morning and are dozing off yourself, you hear your toddler "MOM? Time-a get up?"

Even though you put your toddler to bed in her own bed (adjacent to yours) sometime during the night you wake up with her nuzzled next to you, buried under the covers, rubbing your arm...

Sex happens everywhere BUT the bed

YOu spend amazing mornings with the whole family in the bed playing and talking before breakfast!
#2 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 03:22 AM

You've ever come back from the bathroom and had to weigh whether or not to attempt to move the 32in of toddler that is somehow taking up ALL of the bed

Even you are confused about which room/bed is "my" room/bed and which room/bed is "your" room/bed

You've ever waken up to wet sheets (not one of the prettier aspects of co-sleepign )

You know what it's like to fall asleep nursing your baby while your body and your SO's body forms a circle around the child
#3 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Banned

When your 10 yr old is nuzzled under your armpit with her feet hanging off the bed, two four yr olds each have a leg, the baby is laid across your chest and attached to the breast, the 6 yr old is laying across the top of the bed holding a strand of your hair, the other 10 yr old is laying at the foot of the bed....and you REALLY need to pee!
#4 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 03:39 AM

you wake up because you feel something pulling at your boob and realize it's the little one trying to pull it into their mouth whilst sleeping.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#5 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet729 View Post
You've ever come back from the bathroom and had to weigh whether or not to attempt to move the 32in of toddler that is somehow taking up ALL of the bed
Yes!!! That was me last night!!
Oh, and to add...
When you have to make a snap decision in the middle of the night- who to uncover when you you just have to get up to pee- toddler or dh. Who will whine more over being woken? Who will be harder to get back to sleep?

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#6 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 08:50 PM

You wake up sore & stiff from being pinned in one position.....because your nursing toddler is lying sideways across your chest,there's a cat on your head, a dog on one side of your leg & another dog on the other side.....

You buy a King size bed so everyone will fit but there's still no room because your toddler insists on forming the letter "H" between you & DH.

You wake up to your toddler yelling at her daycare playmates in her sleep.

All of the Disney princesses are laid out on your pillow.
#7 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 08:56 PM

You go to make the bed and there is a whole herd of stuffed animals in there from your toddler

You sleep with your boobs hanging out all night in case the baby wants a snack, and with your toddlers freezing cold feet down your pant legs & arms up your shirt

People ask your toddler if she likes sleeping in her big girl bed, and she says looks at them with a blank stare.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#8 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 PM

When in order to give your rolling, thrashing, teething toddler more room, you and your DH resort to sleeping toe to toe--one of you lying next to your toddler and the other along the foot of the bed sleeping at a right angle to your partner.

When lying in bed reading Goodnight Moon, your toddler expresses empathy for the little bunny who has to sleep all alone.
#9 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 09:17 PM

Deleted
#10 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 PM

You head to bed with the baby and stop, frantically searching for the toddler you can't see . . . until you realize she's sleeping across your husband's head.

You don't have to actually wake up -- or get up -- to night nurse.

You get to hear such gems from your sleeping toddler as: "No, not the raspberry men!" "The kitty cats and butterflies are chasing me!" and "Dadoo, make the dinosaur stop eating my hand."

Every night is cuddle night.
#11 of 72 Old 12-14-2006, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlimmering View Post
...the bed hasn't been made in months.
that is so true!!!

Or how about discovering a wet spot in the bed and not being able to determine if it's toddler pee, breast milk or baby drool!!!!
#12 of 72 Old 12-15-2006, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuri'smom View Post
Or how about discovering a wet spot in the bed and not being able to determine if it's toddler pee, breast milk or baby drool!!!!
LMAO...just the other night I woke up when DD was scooting me out of bed. I switched spots with her, to find that the whole reason she was stealing my spot was that her sippy cup (which is also her lovey--she won't sleep without it snuggled in her arm) had leaked all over the bed. I sniffed it briefly before deciding that even if it was pee and not water, it wasn't worth getting everyone out of bed to change the sheets. So mommy slept in a puddle all night, but at least I got some sleep!

CPST & mom

#13 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 01:53 AM

Or how about discovering a wet spot in the bed and not being able to determine if it's toddler pee, breast milk or baby drool!!!![/QUOTE]

laughup
This is so true!
#14 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 02:35 AM

I envy all of you. We all sleep in bed lined up like soldiers. No stuffed animals, no loveys, no sleeping on heads, no pee.....well maybe a little. I always thought our family bed was outside the norm but your stories make me think ours is a little prudish.

Thanks for the laughs.
#15 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 02:46 AM

- Where you used to keep a novel and a glass of water by your beside, you now have picture books and sippy cups.

- You get woken up by icy little toes down the back of your pajamas (my dd always sticks her cold feet down my pants to warm them up--she doen't like blankets).

- Your toddler doesn't need a blankie because she strokes and twirls your hair all night long.

- You're there the instant someone has a bad dream and needs a cuddle.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#16 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 02:47 AM

You have plenty of room for guests because you have a set of bunkbeds, an unused crib, and a daybed that go empty . . .

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#17 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
- Your toddler doesn't need a blankie because she strokes and twirls your hair all night long.
This is my dd1!

-when you describe yourself as a "mommy sandwich" because you slept all night nursing the babe at the All Night Milk Bar and the toddler has a hair fetish.
#18 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 03:31 AM

Quote:
mine too! He is a nursing, sleepy hair twirler!

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#19 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does the hair twirling drive you :? I am seriously thinking of buying dd a hairpiece to sleep with!
#20 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 03:37 AM

I have to admit, TanyaS and naturegirl, that the twirling bugs the heck outta me sometimes. And if I'm not in bed with her, she does it to her own hair, leaving a big huge rat's nest. But when I think about it, it's very sweet that she gets comfort from me like this!

#21 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 03:41 AM

You automatically kneel on the bed before getting in, to clear a space for yourself by brushing a half-pound of sand off the sheets.
#22 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
-when you describe yourself as a "mommy sandwich" because you slept all night nursing the babe at the All Night Milk Bar and the toddler has a hair fetish.
That made me laugh sooooo hard! I think the madest my ds ever got was when I cut my hair! I don't have any more to add but thanks for all the laughs!
#23 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When you have only a small runway to walk in your room- because all the room is being taken up by beds all pushed together to make one big bed, and its still not big enough because everyone needs to be touching you to sleep.

You lean a little to nurse the baby and thats enough to wake your toddler up(crying), who wakes your other toddler up and then you spend the next 2hrs trying to settle them, because your boob is in the babies mouth, one hand is holding ds's hand, the other holding dd's hand, hey am I playing some strange momma form of twister?

TanyaS- Seriously my mom bought a wig to keep in bed so my little brother wouldn't keep her up all night. It worked, she even got it in her color!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#24 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmum View Post
You automatically kneel on the bed before getting in, to clear a space for yourself by brushing a half-pound of sand off the sheets.
Wow...I thought I was the only one.
#25 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 04:03 AM

How about having to tell your child ...

"Honey; mommy can't sleep with your foot in my butt crack."
#26 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 04:21 AM

Ooh I've got one...

When you wake up, shivering and uncomfortable, to find yourself in your baby's side-carred crib while he's fast asleep, wrapped warm in your blankets in your spot next to DH!
#27 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 04:23 AM

what is it with youngun's and want ing to be sideways between mama and dada anyway???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuri'smom
and then deciding you don't care
#28 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuri'smom View Post

Sex happens everywhere BUT the bed

Soooo true!!

You get punched in the face by your kiddo while they kick your partner in the nuts. And she looks soo peaceful when she sleeps...
#29 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 04:52 AM

your having a nice adult dream and start to wake up thinking your dh is getting frisky, but its just your toddler trying to find your boob.
#30 of 72 Old 12-16-2006, 09:39 AM

if you wake up in the night and you worry because you can't hear anyone snoring, grunting, snuffling or farting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page