If you held dc for naps... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...when and how did you transition to putting him/her down to sleep?

DS is 4 1/2 months, and I hold him (or sling him, which he does not like as well) for all of his naps. Honestly, it is nice for me to have this time as a break for internet surfing/reading/movie watching. We are moving to a new house in a month or so, and I thought that once we were settled it might be a good time to work on napping without mama.

At bedtime, I nurse him in the rocking chair, then lay down with him in the bed and nurse until I can sneak off. He sleeps for up to 2-3 hours, then I either come to be dor repeat the nurse-sneak away bit. When I used to try to put him down for naps, he slept at max of 30 min. The dark seems to help...

Just hoping for some input on when your dc was ready to nap alone, and where you put him/her, and how you made the transition. TIA!!

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2006, 11:14 AM

In my experiance children need parenting to sleep for naps as long as they nap. As for going to sleep alone at night...that's so individual it's hard to say. We still all sleep together & our oldest is 8...but he certainly can go asleep alone. I think it was at about age 4 that they were all OK with laying down alone. Good luck, you sound like your doing great & are a very attentive mama!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:39 AM

I held my baby for every nap of her life (except when Daddy held her) until she was 10 months old. She transitioned very easily and now naps like a champ for 2-3 hours in our (family) bed. This was an infant who would wake without fail 20 minutes after you set her down, no matter where or how you set her down, literally from the hospital on.

What I did was watch her for any signs that she might be ready to nap on her own (like restlessness when I held her) and try every few weeks to put her down. If she woke up, I went back to holding her. One day, she slept...you could have knocked me over with a feather. She was just ready.

I also enjoyed holding her for her naps and looked at those times as a break in the day for me to relax and cuddle. I don't regret one minute of holding her for 10 months and I believe I'd feel the same if I was still napping with her at 15 months. Enjoy your baby.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:34 PM

True to the "nine months in, nine months out" theory, DD has begun napping for longer and longer periods within the last week or so, and she's almost 9 months old.

I've always held her in some way, usually in my lap on a boppy pillow, but as she's gotten heavier and heavier I've started to nurse her down on the bed and roll away. It took a while before she'd stay asleep, and now she'll nap for as long as 2 hours. Sometimes I have to nurse her back down after 45 minutes, but she is beginning to sleep SO well on her own. Even at night too. And it's about darn time!

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we just got over a major teething spell - 4 top teeth ALL AT ONCE. I don't think either one of us has slept well the past month or so.

At 4 months old there was no way she would sleep without me. I mostly wore her for her naps then, in the moby which was most comfortable. Sometimes I was able to put her in the swing for a nap, but she has mostly slept with me until very recently. (She's actually asleep in the other room right now.)

ETA: Like Easy Goer said, watching for sleepy signs has REALLY helped. I actually kept a diary for a few days and marked everything down. In my sleep deprived state it made finding a pattern way easier. I've found that starting the day off on a good note by getting the first nap out of the way sets the tone for the whole day. When she gets over tired everything gets messed up. I find that she's usually down for her first nap about 2 hours after getting up for the day. That first nap is SO important for the whole day.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:43 PM

Mine's 7 mths today (YEAH!!!!), and still does about 95% of naps on either DH or I, sleeps on her own in bed, although lately DH bouncing her (we use an exercise ball that w/o fail gets her to sleep in minutes) hasn't been enough. When he puts her in our bed, I then have to nurse her a while before I can sneak away (although I rarely actually do this, b/c I often end up falling asleep myself ).

I've asked this same question many a time, and the range has been from around the 9 mth mark to 2 years. This probably isn't satisfying for you, but it sounds like it's very baby-personality-dependent. Mine is pretty "intense" so I'm not planning on ever getting to do the laundry while she naps for a long while. But yours may be more laid back, so you may have more success earlier.

I still try to either nurse her to sleep on the family bed for her afternoon nap (when she's the most tired, it seems to work better), or put her down after bouncing with her a while every week or so, like the PP said. If she wakes up, it's hell, b/c she HATES waking up too early from a nap, but if I don't try, I'll never know. That's also why I don't try that often!!!

Good luck!!!

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
Old 12-16-2006, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DD1 was 2 years, right around the time that she stopped napping regularly.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:41 PM

oooh, what's 9 months in, 9 months out? i'm intrigued.

my 8 mo is currently napping in my lap.... every nap so far has been there, or in dh's lap (or the car seat ).

i've only minded maybe 5 times in those 8 months....

gee, i'm no help at all! sorry. good luck!!! nurse & roll works for me--but i've only ever tried it at night. ok.... that totally has me thinking of "hug & roll" from Friends.....
Old 12-16-2006, 06:43 PM

I held DS for all his naps until it became too uncomfortable for him around 12 months. He needed more room to move/turn.

User Tag List