anyone tried "scheduled awakening" or familiar w/it?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-16-2003, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm tired. last night Aidan woke every 20-30 min to nurse which meant i had to wake up and switch sides w/him every 20-30 min. did i mention that i'm tired??

regardless, i'm ready (needing) to do something, or, i will lose my mind.

i'm too tired to remove him w/the PPO (Pantley Pull Off), and i'm too tired to try to get him to sleep other than nursing as w/the Gordon method.

i do NOT want to wean, nor do i want to remove him from the fam ily bed. i would just LOVE to be able to sleep in 2hr bursts. i feel that i'm not asking for much.

http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/conten...e2=tf_ipsecsha basically i will wake him up before he wakes, which, eventually, will cause him to *wait* to be woken. and MAYBE, i can get a 2 hr stretch. (boy, bringing a newborn into the family will be easy w/my sleep experience!!)

anyhow, i need help w/the logistics. i want to....gulp....wake him up every 30 min. there is NO way i'll be able to wake up and reset the alarm that many times w/o throwing it out the window. and snooze doesn't give me that long (does it?)

what to do??

i need some ideas!!

tia
amy

p.s. i wanted to add, that this will NOT pass. he's been waking every 40 min (approx) since he was about 7 months old--he is now 15 months old. chiropractor did not help.
#2 of 6 Old 05-25-2003, 05:56 PM

If you want to wake up every 30 minutes, maybe a wind-up kitchen timer? Cheap. loud, easy to set.

Good luck! I'll be interested to hear how this goes.
#3 of 6 Old 05-25-2003, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

what a good idea!

we have an old kitchen timer and when it goes off, it goes bin... (it doesn't even finish the bing.) i forgot that timers don't usually sound like that!

the last couple of nights have been good, 2hr stretches, but so far he has woken up twice in the past 2 hrs, and due any time for another awakening :

i will keep you updated!
amy
#4 of 6 Old 05-27-2003, 02:09 AM

Wow you must be sooooo tired mama. just sending a big hug to you.
#5 of 6 Old 05-27-2003, 10:43 PM

When DS was 4 months or so, he was still waking several times per night. His bedtime was around 7 then. I started waking him at 10pm to change and nurse and then would put him back down. I was hoping that waking and nursing him before I retired for the night, would possibly give me a couple of hours of sleep before he woke up again. He is the king of the "mommy just dropped off" waking!!!

This was the only intentional waking I did but after a couple of months, I realize he was sleeping through to 4 or 5 o clock pretty regularly. When we moved to our new home when he was about 7 months old, DH and I had a little celebration one evening after DS went to bed for the night. We shared a bottle of wine and I decided not to wake DS and nurse because I'd been drinking. I figured he'd wake me in a couple of hours or so. He never did... he went right on sleeping through to 5am?! We went ahead and stopped doing the 10pm waking and I kept thinking that I should have stopped it sooner!

I read about the schedule wakings during the time this was going on and started to realize that perhaps this is what helped us?? I don't know but it does seem like perhaps... not sure how it will work with a toddler but I'd love to keep tabs on your situation!

That said, DS still nightwakes to this day. After a couple of months of the sleeping through, he battled a tough bout of sep anxiety and was up a lot. He still nighwakes but compared to a lot of kids, it's pretty manageable most nights.

best of luck!

Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#6 of 6 Old 11-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Hi there, Kundalini-Mama.

I just read your post and I'm in the "waking every 40 minutes" for about three months now. I'm wondering if you tried the scheduled awakenings and how it went..

I know it's been a long time, but I would like some long term perspective :)

Any advices?

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page