creating a sibling bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2003, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what age is it considered safe for siblings to sleep together? Saffron is only 6 months yet so we won't be doing this for a while at night, but it would be nice at naptime rather than carrying her in the sling. She rolls all over the place independently and is pretty close to crawling and Echo doesn't move much in her sleep. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2003, 10:41 AM

My boys are 19 months apart and by the time the youngest was 4 months old he weighed within a couple pounds of his big brother (and has ever since). He was also a very mobile baby, walked shortly after 8 months.

I started putting them to sleep next to each other before he was 5 months old. I felt very comfortable with the baby being able to make enough noise that I could get there or that his not too much bigger brother would move. I have never found them on top of each other. They are now 2 and 3 1/2 and are often sleeping right next to each other.

I even put them to sleep at naps much earlier I would just stay very near by (I have the sweetest picture of the two of them asleep next to each other in a hotel on the babies 2 week birthday ). I would save chores that I could do in the bedroom (bill paying, folding clothes) or just read.

That said I would imagine you are not supposed to let them sleep next to each other until the youngest is a year or more.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding Your boys and my girls are the same age difference and Saffron has been within a pound or two of Echo for a few months now too. I was planning to have them sleep together at night if naptime goes well when Saffron is coser to a year. It's reassuring to hear that another mom has done this too.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:26 AM

I can't remember exactly when, but definately by the time DS could crawl (6.5 months) we were letting him and DD (3 at the time) next to each other in bed. They have never had any problems and it is sooooo sweet when they cuddle up next to each other!

Kay

DD 1-2-99
DS 8-31-1

Old 05-25-2003, 11:55 PM

I just logged on to start a similar thread when I came across yours. I'm wondering the same thing. My 8 mos old dd is pretty much night-weaned (I nurse her around 3am) and my almost 4 year old dd is (at last) sleeping alone in her own room. She likes the idea of her little sis coming to sleep with her. I'm thinking of putting a queen mattress on the floor and having the babe by the wall. Our room isn't far so we would definitely hear of any fussing. I too have heard of the one-year rule but I'm thinking I might give it a shot..my dh and I have not slept together consistantly for a few YEARS...I'm very interested to hear of what others have done with the sibling bed idea. I love the thought of them being together all night..
Old 06-08-2003, 06:15 PM

Just curious about what size bed you were considering. We have two boys (ages 1 and 3) and I'm seriously considering a sibling bed but can't decide if they should sleep together in a single or double bed. Also, could anyone who's had two children share a bed for "philisophical" reasons as opposed to "practical" reasons let me know how it worked as the children. Did they resolved conflict well? Did they fall asleep at the same time? Kick each other? etc.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2003, 12:11 AM

I think a sibling bed is a cozy idea, but my personal experience was this (as an older child) - I was about 8 years old, my sister was 4 and we shared a double bed. She never SHUT UP - I would try to fall asleep and she would just ramble on and on. Come to think of it, she is still that way...

Younger children probably wouldn't have that issue, but I remember it being SO ANNOYING.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:38 AM

I am the oldest sis and I only have one sibling....my sister. Her and I would beg our mom to let us sleep together. She would for a time and then we would stay up late, make a lot of noise and get in trouble and seperated. My sis would sneak in my BR after our parents were asleep. The next morning mom would find us cuddled up in my bed together. She never said anything. Those are some of the fondest memories I have from my childhood. It wasn't until I hit puberty that I wanted to sleep alone, but I still occasionally would invite my sis in for a night.

We have already allowed the two boys to have naps together. The older one dosen't nap but he likes to rest and lay with the little one while the little one naps. We will put them in the same bed as the littlest gives cues that he wants to. We will never make them sleep together. They will always have the choice.

We have temp stopped the two boys from napping together with out one of us also napping in the oldest's bed because the babe is so mobile that I'm afraid he'll fall off the bed. However, they may nap in our bed because we have our mattress on the floor for the baby's safety.

User Tag List