Do you, personally, enjoy cosleeping? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy cosleeping?
I love it! I'll be sad when they leave. 237 43.89%
I like it, even if sometimes it's a little uncomfortable. 176 32.59%
I don't mind it since it makes my kids happy, but it's not great for my sleep needs. 57 10.56%
I don't like it, but I put up with it for my kids' sake. 31 5.74%
We don't cosleep. 18 3.33%
Other 21 3.89%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 127 Old 02-14-2007, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting question, I co-sleep on a queen size bed with DB and our 11 week old DS. I love that he's so close to me all night long and I know he sleeps longer than he would if he were alone. BUT...we're still a little awkward with it. I usually end up in some uncomfortable position with my arm above DS's head and my other arm squished by my side or something. He makes a lot of noise in the morning before he really wakes up for the day. And frankly, I think our bed is just too darn small. But all together I do enjoy co-sleeping and I could never sleep not being able to see and touch DS.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#92 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 03:07 AM

I love it. I have the hardest time falling asleep without her. I know I will miss her when she finally decides to leave.
#93 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 AM

I go up and down.

Early baby days: my sleep was very disturbed, and I didn't like it but put up with it mostly so I didn't have to get up in the night. I'm very lazy like that.

Pre-mobile baby days: I liked it pretty well... nice to sleep with her, nice to wake up next to her, etc. I had adapted to it okay by that point.

Mobile baby days: She started kicking my husband out of bed and kicking me and I didn't like it at all... that's the point that she got moved to a mattress next to ours.

Early toddler days: She slept really well on her own bed at first, and it was lovely. She'd wake up once around 7, crawl in with us and get nursies, and we'd sleep in together, all snuggly.

Now: After a nasty bout of teething, her sleep is still recovering, and she's spending more of the night with us- so it's a reprise of the kicking and wiggling, with heavy-toddler-lying-on-my-arms-cutting-the-circulation-off as a fun new surprise. Ech.

I guess I mostly don't like it, but put up with it out of laziness. There are some really nice moments to it though.

Julia
#94 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 01:24 PM

I also love co-sleeping, MOST of the time. Sometimes I just want my own space. We have a queen bed, and DH works nights, but sometimes I try to keep DS in his bed (a twin on the floor) as long as possible, so I can have the bed to myself. Sometimes I bring him into bed with me, sometimes I get into bed with him, whatever my poor sleep-deprived mind decides to do in the middle of the night. When DS was first born DH insited we needed a crib, mostly becuase his stepmom thought I was nuts to not want a crib (I think it's a baby prison). But after the first couple of days he realised that DS would not sleep unless he was nursed or cuddled down. He WAS NOT going to sleep in that crib. We had it for two weeks and I think he may have taken a 10 minute nap in it once. When ds was about 6 weeks I remember dh asking "when is he going to start sleeping in his own space" and I told him he would when he didn't need me at night anymore. About a month ago I found a cute little wooden toddler bed that didn't look like a baby prison that ds could get in and out of easily and asked dh if he wanted to get it. He said "Why? I really don't think we need it. Plus, he won't sleep in it anyway. " That made me so happy. Now even DH likes co speeping, in the beginning he thought I was crazy!
#95 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM

For me, it's a mix that comes down to:

I love it! I'll be sad when they leave, even if it's sometimes uncomfortable and my sleep needs aren't always being met.

I voted, "I like it, even if it's a little uncomfortable."

But, I'll get used to it too, and will probably relish having my nipples and space back for my own. And, oh...the thought of being able to reposition myself or roll over again without DS wanting to nurse.....that sounds lovely, too!!

DH enjoys it, as he WOH and enjoys having cuddly, sleepy time as part of the time he gets to bond with DS.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#96 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 03:11 PM

I love co-sleeping... and so does dh. We didn't plan on co-sleeping but it works so well for us. There are definitely times when I feel crowded or "touched out"- especially when I get sandwiched or pushed, face-first, into the wall. But- I love the sound and the feeling of little one's breath against my face- or the way he looks curled up with dh. It is one of the sweetest things in my life.
#97 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 03:19 PM

i love it more when they are babies, but Jenna is still with us, what i don't like is when i wake up cramped on my side and her leg dangling over my side, not sure where my kidneys are but it feels like she has pressed on them all night! She has punched me in the eye and mouth.
Or i wake up squished against dh and she is laying vertically so she has half the bed!!
But yes i really do love it!
#98 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 03:33 PM

The only part I really don't like is that I can't snuggle with dh anymore. I think that's part of why he originally didn't want this peanut I'm growing right now.

We moved dd out of our bed when I was pregnant with ds2. She stayed in our room for several months, but not in our bed. That worked for everybody. As sad as I am to admit it, she sleeps better when she's not with us...she's just too wiggly and distracted for co-sleeping to work 100% with her. DS2, on the other hand, loves it.

DD is now in her own room, so I go in and sing her a song (after dh tucks her in and reads her a book) and snuggle, usually until she falls asleep. Then, she sleeps alone until morning, when she gets up and comes into our room. I'm not sure how we'll work things over the next few months. We can't manage four in our bed.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#99 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 03:37 PM

I would LOVE it if ds slept better--it's hard to separate the cosleeping part from the night-waking part, since nights aren't exactly pleasant. I'm hoping that one day he'll sleep more deeply (so I don't lie there trying to figure out how to roll over w/out waking him up) and for longer stretches, sigh. But I would be very sad if he were sleeping in a crib or another room.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#100 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 03:47 PM

Love it, love it, love it!!!!!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#101 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 03:51 PM

I looooove cosleeping. I've gone both ways, we started out in the same bed, she went in the hammock, then in a mattress beside our bed. Then back with me and we couldn't be happier! I sleep so well with her warm little body next to me. She never wakes up, and if she does it's only to say something cute and sweet. So yes I VERY much enjoy cosleeping and can't ever imagine it not being part of our life!:

ETA: though I wonder if mammas without another person to snuggle with seem to like cosleeping better - ie single mammas!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#102 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 03:57 PM

I love being close to my little love and knowing that he is safe, but hate how little sleep all of us get, still at 16 mos. It's awful and I can count the non angry/resentful nights on one hand. I thought I could never sleep away from him until he was bigger, because even when he's not on the same mattress I would lie there, hyper aware until he needed me and we snuggled.. but for the last 2 weeks DH has been sleeping with him and I have been alone in the nursery. I like it better alone. I miss his little body, but I know HE is not alone, and I actually get some sleep which at 7 mos pregnant I desperately need. I'm a happier and much better mother this way. I still fantasize about the 4 of us being in one bedroom someday.
#103 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 08:59 PM
aba

I haven't read all the responses, but the short answer is, yes, I love co-sleeping.

There are definite challenges to this choice, but I feel all decisions have pros/cons and part of the success of the decision is the determination to make it work and not second-guess yourself. At first, I spent many nights telling myself that if DD was in a crib, we'd all get more sleep, but with hindsight, there's no guarantee. I have a friend with a DD 3.5 weeks younger than mine who's been in a crib from Day One and she's a horrible sleeper. They even tried CIO and it did NOT work.

So, when considering the pros of co-sleeping, I definitely think it's worth it.
#104 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 09:03 PM

I love it. My youngest daughter has recently started sleeping with her older brother in his room, and I miss her even though I still have a baby in bed.
#105 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 09:35 PM

My almost three year old doesn't sleep with us anymore. I sleep so much better, but god I miss her so much. The past few nights she's been crawling into bed with me in the morning.
#106 of 127 Old 02-15-2007, 09:48 PM

Wonderful experience!! DH works nights and I love nothing more than to snuggle up to my two, sweet little girls!! Don't know what I'd do without them??
#107 of 127 Old 02-18-2007, 12:12 AM

DS is almost 12 months and currently we only sleep together probably two hours a day (an hour in the morning and an hour at nap time). I LOVE the two hours. When he was sleeping in my bed all night (up until a month ago), I loved the closeness but didn't love the frequent wakeups (although, we had it easy - he would latch on and we'd both fall back to sleep).

So, I loved it and didn't all at the same time. Probably just depended on the night.

Sara
#108 of 127 Old 02-18-2007, 02:16 AM

I voted other because all of mine are out of the family bed now. Little dd wanted to move in with her next oldest brother right around the time she turned 3 and hasn't been back since. The older ones all have stopped coming even when ill or scared (the next youngest will be 10 this year) so it's strange to have no little people in the bed anymore.
I loved co-sleeping, though, and loved the feel of their little warm bodies so relaxed next to me. I miss it terribly, and I'm done having babies, so will have to continue chasing dh around the bed to snuggle with for the rest of my life, I guess. At least he seems to enjoy it, too!
#109 of 127 Old 02-18-2007, 03:54 PM

I'm an "other" - I love it with a newborn, but after they grow a bit, I'm ready for my space back. And we all do better when they move on to their own beds for at least a portion of the night. Moved dd out at 3 or 4 months and ds out at 6.5 months.
#110 of 127 Old 02-19-2007, 01:19 PM

I have a love hate relationship with cosleeping. I love waking up next to dd and cuddling with her at night but sometimes I am very uncomfortable and don't get great sleep. Dd usually goes to sleep in her own bed and then comes to bed with us in the middle of the night. I relish the nights when she sleeps a little longer in her own bed and I actually get to spread out. When she was littler, though, I couldn't fall asleep if she wasn't next to me so I would wake her up out of her crib and bring her to bed with me. I love cosleeping but will be happy when she is ready for her own bed. Of course, then i'll probably have another baby and start the process over again.
#111 of 127 Old 02-19-2007, 01:45 PM

I loved when they were babies. Now that Alex is 2.5 and is much bigger I wish he was in his bed. He's 38" and 38lbs so he's not so little anymore. He kicks and wants to lay on my arm. My sleeping positions are limited and I wake up feeling uncomfortable and not rested. I deal with it since I know he loves to snuggle with me and it's comforting to him. My oldest didn't like cosleeping and slept better in her own space. My middle child coslept till she was 2.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#112 of 127 Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 AM

I like cosleeping with my 13 month old, but I'd love the cosleeping if she'd night-wean. The snuggles and cuddles with her are fabulous, but the all-night buffet is getting kind of tiring.

I'm glad my older children are happy to sleep by themselves most of the time. They're both so restless that when my 5 year old crawls in bed with me, it's like sleeping with a large animal.

Busy, hectic, HAPPY single mom to 3 awesome kiddos jumpers.gif DD1 (10) DS (8) DD2 (6)

#113 of 127 Old 02-20-2007, 01:23 AM

I voted love it. And I do with ds3 bc he actually sleeps. ds 1 thought I was an all night buffet right up till the time he was 4. he nursed more at night than baby ds2. eventually, we just simply ran out of space and it was just not enjoyable anymore bc a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, baby +mama + papa cannot sleep comfortably in a king size especially if the 7 and 4 year old tend to squirm and kick and hit etc etc. so yes, I love it now and I love it when the older kids snuggle in the morning.
#114 of 127 Old 02-20-2007, 02:08 AM

Some nights i really really love it, being snuggled up with him and feeling his little chest rise up and down and feeling that connection... like being pregnant again, sharing a secret

And then there are the nights when he is thrash-y and i will be in bed for 6 or 7 hours and feel like i hardly slept a wink.

So i put other

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#115 of 127 Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 AM

Hi Alohamelly,

I was so pleased to see that you have a 10-years-old and another one on the way. My daughter (is that what DD means?) is 11-yrs-old and we are preparing to have another child (Hubby has a 17-yr-old from a previous marriage living with her mom and my daughter is from a previous marriage who lives with us). One thing I feel a little worried about is the large age difference and the fact that between use we are going to raise 3 "only" children. I know my daughter will be extremely helpful, but I had always envisioned myself with several kids close in age. Life happens and the plans you make don't always happen that way :
#116 of 127 Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 AM

One thing we are trying to do in preparation for co-sleeping is having a crib right up next to my side of the bed (since I'll be the one nursing) where it will be a compromise between sharing a bed with baby and having our own bed. This way baby is safe from falling off and close enough for us to remain half asleep when baby wants to nurse.

Privacy? What's that?
#117 of 127 Old 02-20-2007, 02:31 AM

Can you tell me what people mean by being "toasted and frosted"? I am still learning new terms on discussion spaces that I don't read in books.

I used to feel lazy and guilty that it was so easy to nurse in bed and fall asleep half the time. With 2nd baby I will allow myself to feel good about laying in bed (....all day...) while we rest, nurse, cuddle, and take care of ourselves.
#118 of 127 Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 AM
DBZ

I want a bigger bed (only have a twin with crib sidecarred) so the bigger kids can join me and the baby if they want.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#119 of 127 Old 02-24-2007, 04:42 AM

I love co-sleeping and have been doing it for 10.5 years. When there isn't anyone at home but me I feel lost and can't sleep! I wouldn't have it any other way! I'm really going to hate it when I no longer have kids in the bed...I guess the dogs will have to sleep with us on a regular basis then.
#120 of 127 Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 AM

ds1 sleeps in his own bed (and in his own room) and it makes me sad. I know this is best for him because he canNOT sleep with someone in the same room/bed. we'd have to fall asleep first and I don't trust him in my room with that!

ds2 sleeps in his own bed (in our room) for the first 2-3hrs at night and comes in after. I like the 2-3hrs of sleep I get when he's in his bed but it doesn't compare to cuddling my boy!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page