Do you, personally, enjoy cosleeping? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy cosleeping?
I love it! I'll be sad when they leave. 237 43.89%
I like it, even if sometimes it's a little uncomfortable. 176 32.59%
I don't mind it since it makes my kids happy, but it's not great for my sleep needs. 57 10.56%
I don't like it, but I put up with it for my kids' sake. 31 5.74%
We don't cosleep. 18 3.33%
Other 21 3.89%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 127 Old 02-09-2007, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious about other people's experience. Not about whether you think cosleeping is a good idea for the kids, but whether it's easy and fun for you, or if it's something you grit your teeth and put up with.
#2 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 AM

personally...i LOVE cosleeping. i enjoy it more than i ever anticipated. luckily dh is fully on board to and he is a happy cosleeping daddy as well. we love waking up to her adorable smiling face, and sometimes if we both happen to wake up at the same time in the middle of the night, we love to peer at dd's little sleepy face and marvel over her beauty.

honestly, in the past few weeks dd has been a bit feisty when nursing down to sleep, she is just so full of joy and wanting to explore but it gets to be a bit of a wrestling match...so sometimes that's not so fun for me and my poor nipples that get pulled around as she demonstrates her downward dog and karate kicks while still latched on... but i love it still...
#3 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 AM

Mine don't consistantly cosleep anymore and I miss that middle of the night cuddling I was very sad when my DD moved away from sleeping with me every night. I voted 'other' because my DC are now out of the family bed except when ill, or scared.

Whatever will be, already is...

#4 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:07 AM

I voted other, because they are never leaving!
#5 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:10 AM

I voted other because she doesn't sleep with me anymore and I miss it!!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#6 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 AM

I cosleep and frankly I don't think I could actually sleep without it. My husband and I love cudding our young ones to sleep, I will lay there and thank God that I can. I love that they are right where I can see them, and if they need something I'm right there. It is so sweet sleeping with my children, I can't think of any other way. For me I think, they are only this little once and right now,they want nothing more than to fall asleep next to mama and later they may want their own space and if I don't, when I am old and gray, I know that I will wish I would have cuddled them more.:

Not sure if that's exactly what you were looking for.
#7 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 AM

We started out co sleeping all the time, but after about 6 months it quit working instead of being a family bed, it was me and DD w/dh in the other room. Which wasn't cool with us! So we are slowly trying to transition her to her own bed/crib! I guess I need to change my sig, but usually most nights I end up sleeping with her by the end of the night! SO I guess we still co-sleep!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#8 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 AM

I loved it when she was a baby. It was hard thought to hear daily on how I was "ruining her" and how she would "never want out of our bed." Now, she is 2 1/2 and she is asking for her own bed. I will miss her but she kicks and I don't sleep well. I would like to sleep better as I feel so tired all the time. I would like some alone time with my husband at night too -- he really needs this.

How do you have any intimacy with a co-sleeper? We have a one bedroom place and no sofa's, just the kitchen table with only one kitchen chair as DD has the other one. So -- it's hard to find a place for us or for her really!
#9 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:18 AM

I voted "like it," because we have 4 people in the bed, so it gets crowded. But I love sleeping with just dd. She's my cuddle bunny.

I love sleeping with ds, too, but he doesn't like to cuddle as much. He's more into this:

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#10 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:19 AM

I voted "other" because it depends on which baby we're talking about. First one wasn't interested in co-sleeping. I put him in his crib for the beginning of the night, intending to bring him into bed with us when he woke, but...he didn't wake up. Slept through the night at 8 weeks and never looked back. He's never been able to fall asleep with other people around. Second one I co-slept with for about a year, but it was miserable for the last few months of it. Nobody was sleeping well. Now baby #3 is 14 months and I finally see what the hype is all about! He sleeps BETTER with someone in bed with him! He wakes up to nurse and then goes back to sleep! So I love co-sleeping with THIS baby. If he were my first, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to understand how anyone could bear not to co-sleep
#11 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:25 AM

I LOVE it! It's nice to have a warm body to cuddle up with! And it's different than sleeping with a partner, because I could rarely fall asleep cuddling, and with dd, I almost always do.
#12 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:26 AM

While I do love to cuddle with ds and feel good about how I can soothe him when he wakes in the middle of the night, typically by nursing, co-sleeping is getting hard. Ds thrashes around at night and sprawls out taking up more room than you'd think a 36 inch boy could! Dh and I sleep around ds and frankly I am tired and my back hurts from it all...

I loved it when ds was infant and now that ds is a toddler, I love it some of the time.

I am not trying to throw myself a pity party nor will we stop co-sleeping until ds gives me cues that he's ready or interested.
#13 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:28 AM

LOVE it!

My dd is the most comfortable snuggly thing and we fit together like we were made to sleep that way! (of course, right!)

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#14 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:43 AM

I love it about 99% of the time! There are nights occasionally when both of the kids take forever to fall asleep but really I almost always love it!
#15 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:49 AM

I am in the vast minority in this poll - I really don't like it so much in practice, but I love it for my kids. My husband is the one who absolutely adores sleeping and snuggling with the kids. I am the one who often will sneak out at 4 a.m. to finish out the night in the guest bedroom.
#16 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:54 AM

I chose the second one - "I like it" - but part of that is a function of age. I LOVE it when I have a newborn & infant, but then I have to downgrade from getting kicked!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#17 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 12:58 AM

I love it!

Cathy
cathy@mommysforever.org
#18 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 01:00 AM

Dh & I have grown to absolutely love co-sleeping with our daughter. At first, we coslept out of necessity - it just seemed like the right thing to do - neither of us could sleep with the baby monitor on, and were constantly worried about DD if she was in a separate room (as a high needs colicky infant, if DD fell asleep in her carseat as a tiny infant, we'd put her in the quietest, farthest room away, with air purifier & music going, in HOPES she'd stay asleep more than 1/2 hour).

Now, none of us could imagine it any other way. We absolutely will miss her when she decides to move into another bed/room.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#19 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 01:02 AM

It makes me feel like ds is safe & it helps w/ night feedings...

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#20 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 01:10 AM

I'm trying to decide how to vote. I love sleeping with my 2mo, but wish DH would join us in here. He just complains to much about lack of sleep and being woken up though I'm not sure why. He's on his own side of the bed and doesn't have to do anything. Anyway, he's sleeping in the living room where our 3yo joins him part way through the night. She had slept through the night from early on and when she's encountered sleep difficulties at various points in her development, we've tried cosleeping -sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. When she was really little, it was difficult to sleep with her - we'd all just wake up much, much, much more often. It worked better as she got older and her sleep changed. Now, I have to say that when I wake up, I'd really feel better having both my kids with me and wish we'd somehow managed to cosleep all along!
#21 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 01:59 AM

i love it!
#22 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 02:03 AM

I love waking up to baby snuggles :
#23 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 AM

i love it until they get more thrashy, the i like it for the most part until i feel like death all the time because of the contortions i have to do to stay in the bed with my little bedhogs. it's almost time to start transitioning m out of the bed, he's starting to assault us in his sleep.
#24 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

I voted "I don't mind," but I'm really more of an "other" on my own poll!

We cosleep fairly often but not every night and usually not all night. He probably spends at least a few hours in our bed 3-4 nights a week. Frequently I snuggle him to sleep in our bed and then move him to his own bed (he is not a great sleeper but is easy to move once he's asleep, whew!).

He doesn't seem to need the closeness to us except when he's feeling sick or sad for some reason, and we're all restless sleepers. Also, apparently I snore loudly. : For whatever combination of reasons, he doesn't sleep too well with us (probably a combination of my snoring and his restlessness and us bumping into him) so it's very rare that he stays there all night.

I find it hard to fall asleep when he's there because I have to be careful not to disturb him, but on the few occasions when he's there in the morning, I do love waking up with him. Even though if I don't get up within about a minute, he starts screaming "Mama! Vroom! Food!" ("Mama, take me out to the living room and get me some breakfast!")
#25 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 02:36 AM

Dh and I both love cosleeping!!! There are so many little things we'd probably miss if we weren't cosleeping (his little laughs in his sleep, his great big smile that we catch through the light coming in the blinds, if he he still awake when we lay down with him...) Honestly, there was a period of time when it was difficult, but I'm really glad we stuck it out, because we all find it very rewarding now
#26 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 02:46 AM

LOVE it! wouldn't have it any other way
#27 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 03:39 AM

I can sleep better knowing they are safe. However, I'd be a lot happier if ds slept in the attached crib that on me, kicking off the blankets and what not.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#28 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 04:12 AM

I voted for "I like it" because there are three of us sleeping in a full size bed. It's bound to be a little uncomfortable sometimes.
If we had a bigger bed it probably wouldn't be an issue. I can get my snuggles, and then scoot to my own side.
#29 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 04:23 AM

I voted "love it," though at this moment that's kind of a lie...the girls have both been sleeping with us every night (after quite a period of sleeping on their own), and "with us" really means "on me." I think they're reacting to my very growing belly (27 weeks with #3), which has meant being non-stop on-mommy lately. That doesn't work so well at night, when every time I move, they BOTH come with me...and since I can't sit straight up anymore, it's really hard to get comfortable!

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#30 of 127 Old 02-10-2007, 04:31 AM

i voted "I like it, even if sometimes it's a little uncomfortable. "

I honestly am just lazy and hate to sit up to night nurse, and whatever gives me and him sleep, is fine with me

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page