Baby Sleep A to Z for the humane. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-22-2003, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A is for Attachment: The business of the first year of life, fostered by attention, love and nurturing.

B is for breast: What babies are supposed to drink from the first year of life and beyond, formula is an unhealthy and poor imitation.

C is for comfort: What your child needs day and night from you.

D is for dear: What your children are, the dearest thing in the world, treat them that way.

E is for ease: Ease is what you will experience when you start listening to your instincts and treat your child like a human being instead of something to train into not needing you, that will happen all to soon, my friends.

F is for family bed: The way most of the world sleeps, except those “civilized” countries where no one stands to make a buck off of terrifying new parents out of following their instincts.

G is for genuine: The sickness you feel in the pit of your stomach as you listen to your child screaming for you in the night.

H is for humane: Would you let an elderly or disabled person scream themselves to sleep in terror and insecurity?

I is for innocence: What will you destroy in your children when you expect an infant to “comfort” themselves

K is kisses: What your child needs when they are scared, day or night.

J is for jealous: What other parents will be of you when they see your securely attached child drifting peacefully off to sleep in your arms.

L is for love: You know the thing that is more powerful than capitalism if you let it be.

M is for mama: The person with the right thing at the right time.

N is for naps: Don’t cheat yourself of the pleasure of napping with your sweet infant next to you, it will endure.

O is for OBVIOUS. Children need their parents, regardless of what lies your culture tells you.

P is for peace: What you will experience when you stop treating your child like an adversary

Q is for quiet: What will you have when you give your children what they want, to be near you when they are scared.

R is for reality: Can millions of years of human experience really be wrong and the crib manufacuterers and hack advertisers be so damn right?

S is for sling: Try it, you’ll like it, or snugli or anything else that gives your children the proximity to you that they crave.

T is for therapy: What you will avoid in the teen years if you treat your children humanely when they are infants.

U is for unloved: How your babies will feel is you let them cry it out, and how they will at the core, always feel.

V is for vicious: How your babies will percieve you when you choose to refrain from comforting them as the scream alone in the dark.

W is for wistful: How YOU will feel when you look back on these precious years if you wasted them by ignoring your childs needs for love and comfort because of mainstream, capitalist inspired “parenting” advice.

X is for Xylophone

Y: is for Yes. Just say it to your child, to your heart, to living in harmony with your precious children.

Z is for Zest, what you will have for living again when you sleep in peace with your children at night.
#2 of 14 Old 05-22-2003, 06:43 PM

This is SO beautiful! I love it! ! i am going to print it out and hang it on my fridge! SO well put!
Thank you!
#3 of 14 Old 05-22-2003, 07:20 PM

I love it! Especially the "x". Too cute!
#4 of 14 Old 05-23-2003, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for kind words, obviously had a little too much time on my hands...Parenting mag just drives me insane, such a thinly disguised excuse for selling totally unnecessary crap, destined for the landfill.
#5 of 14 Old 05-23-2003, 11:09 AM

Your words are beautiful and inspiring! It's wonderful to be reassured every once in a while that it's okay to do what feels right. The only rule is to follow your instincts.
#6 of 14 Old 05-24-2003, 02:14 AM

Wow!! Thanks for posting!
#7 of 14 Old 05-27-2003, 11:52 PM

Please tell me you're sending that to Parents! I read their horrible "ABC's of Sleep" article and was trying to come up with a letter to send them. You wrote what I wish I could!
They also had an article a few months ago that advised leaving your baby in the hospital nursery so you won' thave to "hear and interpret all their cries"! Luckily someone wrote in to enlighten them on that one. I read it in a stack of back issues my aunt sent down to me. No thanks, Aunt J!

Jen
#8 of 14 Old 05-28-2003, 07:08 PM

Woo hoo! An alphabet for the humane and, don't forget, sane! Pure poetry and beauty!

Please send this to Parents magazine. Here, you're preaching to the converted. Maybe they'll print it. I wrote a letter, and got a decent reply - the woman said thanks for writing, you are not alone (wonder how MANY replies they got for printing that trash? : ), and we're sharing this info with our editors.

Someone on that other thread said she got a reply that they try to present a balanced set of viewpoints - in my mind, they NEED to print this to re-set the scales!
#9 of 14 Old 05-28-2003, 07:15 PM

Send it! Send it!
#10 of 14 Old 05-28-2003, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Please send this to Parents magazine. Here, you're preaching to the converted. Maybe they'll print it. I wrote a letter, and got a decent reply - the woman said thanks for writing, you are not alone (wonder how MANY replies they got for printing that trash? ), and we're sharing this info with our editors.
I agree! SEND IT!!!!
#11 of 14 Old 05-29-2003, 12:47 PM

thanks! I kinda needed that.
#12 of 14 Old 05-29-2003, 09:22 PM

That is so beautiful! Thanks for posting. It's going on our fridge

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#13 of 14 Old 05-30-2003, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

is there some way to just e-mail it? thanks for all kind words, if anyone knows how to email please feel free.
#14 of 14 Old 05-30-2003, 06:53 PM

http://www.parents.com/submit_form/tell_us.jsp

This is a link to write to them.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page