No Cry Sleep Solution - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Did the No Cry Sleep Solution work for you?
Yes 29 32.58%
No 60 67.42%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

1  2
Co-sleeping and the Family Bed > No Cry Sleep Solution
SandraS's Avatar SandraS 10:45 AM 03-06-2007
I said no, but that's misleading. Never did it. I simply followed my children's cues, never read a parenting/sleep book in my life.

rootzdawta's Avatar rootzdawta 11:08 AM 03-06-2007
I voted yes but then I thought about it . . . ds is 18 mos. and still gets up 2-3 times a night. The only thing that worked for me is the actual getting him to go to sleep and take naps. Having a definite routine with ds made it so that we didn't have to beg and plead for him to go to sleep. Once the routine is complete, he practically puts his own self to bed. It started working at around 9 or 10 mos. with him and I really really struggled before then with getting him to go to sleep. But like I said, he doesn't stay asleep.

I think more than anything else, sleep issues are just something you have to ride out. I will not do CIO and so really, this is the only safe place where I can b**ch and moan about my 18 m.o. not sleeping through the night. I wish I had known what I was signing up for before I had ds so that I could have been better prepared mentally but . . . I wouldn't change it for the world. I know he'll soon outgrow it and I'll be saying "Remember when he would wake up 3 times at night . . . I thought he'd never stop doing that".
josh&davesmomme's Avatar josh&davesmomme 11:59 AM 03-06-2007
For my first son I never heard of attachment parenting, cosleeping etc. all the mainstream books suggested CIO, one even went as far as to say a mother was cowardly if she didn't do it this way. I also had *well meaning* family saying the same thing, so when this book fell into my lap- it did help-no ds didn't magically start sleeping through the night but I leaned about things like routines and cosleeping. The night waking logs were a pain and made me realize how often he was getting up, and watching the clock all night was rediculous! So while many of the techniques weren't that helpful the book in general opened my eyes to: one that it was normal for baby to wake, and two that establishing a routine and cosleeping could improve our quality of sleep and maybe the length, which it did!
gaialice's Avatar gaialice 01:48 PM 03-06-2007
I voted no, the book was not helpful, not one bit hepful, in fact it was even bad for us! It really spoiled the first months of my dd2's life for me, even more so than her awful reflux did. I kept trying the pantley withdrawal technique, which was plainly not working. I obsessed that she was not getting the sleep she needed. I mean -- how can you make a baby sleep if whenever you put her down she throws up, unless the surface you're putting her to sleep on is so reclined upwards that the baby will fall off.... grrr.... In retrospect, my only strategy in those months should have been surviving the fatigue and the ordeal and save any energy to mother my dd1 decently. The sleep obsession really really sucks.
TinyBabyBean's Avatar TinyBabyBean 01:57 PM 03-06-2007
I voted no. Tried it with my fourth. With all five of my children, one breastfed only till 4 months, one till 6 months, one till 3, one still nursing at 4 1/2, and one still nursing at 2 1/2:

The only thing that worked was time. Even with the ones who went on a bottle (sadly, i know) did not sleep through the night until they were about 4-6 years old, depending on the personality. My most independant was at 4 years old sleeping through the night and my most dependant one was at 6 years old. I actually have to say this seems about right based on when they should be weaned (by weaned i mean weaned themselves as nature would have it) and I am starting to think this is how it is intended to be. With all the night waking it gives mom a chance to check surroundings to make sure "the cave" is still safe and baby checks in with mom. I am also convinced now that this lack of sleep does not affect a nursing mom the way it would a non nursing mom or other random human suffering from insomnia. Nature is always perfect. I think the only solution is to relax and enjoy each moment because soon they pass and we want those nursing moments back.
ecoteat's Avatar ecoteat 11:41 PM 03-06-2007
I said no, but I hesitated to do so. I liked the overall attitude of the book and found many of the suggestions helpful. We took the sleep charting a little too seriously and have months of sleep charts! But any improvement in sleep we have seen I don't attribute to NCSS. For a "program" that takes SO long to implement, you are going to see changes whether you are following the book or not. I got the feeling that the book almost misleads parents into thinking that if they just keep trying her suggestions for 10 more days (and 10 more, and 10 more...) that it would work. But in fact, the baby may be shifting sleep needs/routines regardless of what the parents are doing.
coobabysmom's Avatar coobabysmom 12:48 AM 03-07-2007
My DS's response to the PPO is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO", said louldy, in very pissed off toddler-ese. I stopped the techinque and put down the book, for now...
haleyelianasmom's Avatar haleyelianasmom 12:50 AM 03-07-2007
I just took this book out, though I haven't read it yet. DD has a lot of sleep issues, especially when teething or learning something new it seems. However I've heard about the "sleep window" thing, not sure it works.
Mia's Momma's Avatar Mia's Momma 10:18 AM 03-07-2007
It gave me some new ideas... and a deeper understanding of why we shouldn't allow our babes to CIO!
TattooedMama's Avatar TattooedMama 12:25 PM 03-07-2007
I voted No, but need to explain. I read it for ds#2 around 6-9 months when he was nursing every hour all night long and not napping unless attached to someone or the breast. It sounded like too much work. : I read the toddler version later and it was still too much work. : I was tired!!!!! I couldn't stay awake long enough to write a sleep log! I could barely roll over and switch breasts. I think it sounds GREAT in theory; and all the sleep books I have read have offered good advice that I have incorporated, but..... I am a tired, lazy mama. That's why I co-sleep. I could never stay awake during a night feeding to shove the baby back over into the co-sleeper.
I do think it is a great book though, if you have the fortitude to stick with it. Maybe I wasn't tired or desperate ENOUGH!
*Amy*'s Avatar *Amy* 05:21 PM 03-07-2007
No, it didn't really work for us. I did learn a lot about sleep cycles, and it did help us to create a bedtime routine, so I will say that the book does have some benefit.

We tried it in two different cycles, when DD was around 9 mos, and then again around 11 mos. The PPO just made her angry, and the constant clock-watching just made me even more obsessed with it, and more resentful of how frequently she was waking. We had many months of DD waking every 45-90 minutes, all night. And TinyBabyBean, I'm sorry to disagree with you, but it was incredibly hard on me, physically and mentally.

She's 15 months now, and sleeping 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours at a stretch, but I think the only thing that has really made a difference is transitioning her into her own sleeping space. She's now in the pack 'n play right next to our bed, and I actually get up and take her to the rocking chair to nurse her when she wakes. I found that if I nursed her in bed, she would latch on and only nurse for 30 seconds or so, and then drift off to sleep - with my nipple in her mouth! So of course she was getting hungry more often at night (and I wasn't getting any good sleep, and my back was always in knots!!). Now, I take her into her room, nurse her fully from both breasts, and then put her back into her PnP. I usually bring her back into bed with us between 5:00 and 6:00am, but her sleep is always very restless when she's in bed with us...so mainly that time is more for cuddling and nursing for comfort than sleeping.

I guess what I have come to think about the whole sleep issue is that there is no magic cure or easy solution. Some kids are sound sleepers from the beginning and some aren't, and I think that there is really only so much you can do about it if your child is one of the latter.
WuWei's Avatar WuWei 03:19 PM 08-01-2007
Bumping.

Pat
vstaudac's Avatar vstaudac 03:59 PM 08-01-2007
I read the book - we have a routine - he still can't fall asleep until 9 pm - he still nurses 2 times at night (19 months old) - but I don't mind. THe 1:00 am nursing is when I get a glass of water and the 5 am one makes me up to say goodbye to my husband. THe Pantley Pulloff - he have done it every night for 6+ months......
But i feel rested....so no worries.. .he's in bed with us so it's easy.
prettypixels's Avatar prettypixels 04:01 PM 08-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post
It didn't work for us. Absolutely none of the methods worked (and I followed it to the letter), which just made me frantic. And I got obsessed with the clock--I was either awake wondering why the heck the methods weren't working, or I was awake celebrating that she just slept 30 minutes longer than the last stretch. Crazy.
OK... no offense, seriously, but I think that is more you than the book. Honestly she doesn't tell you to stay awake staring at the clock all night long... and of course anyone can choose to log or not log. The reason for the logs (which are only to be done every 10 days) is so you can see when there is SOME IMPROVEMENT. If you're expecting it to be perfection after ten days, yikes you'll be disappointed. But SOME IMPROVEMENT.

In my case SOME IMPROVEMENT (sigh) means that my baby now will let go of the nipple while still just barely awake and sometimes just go to sleep. It also means we occassionally get a 3 hour stretch of sleep. Which is a big improvement from up every 45 min all night long. But obviously, it's not where I want to be!!!!! So was it successful? I suppose we have to define success...
wombatclay's Avatar wombatclay 04:43 PM 08-01-2007
I said yes... but I guess it depends on what you mean.

I think the titles is a little misleading, since she points out over and over again that there is no one way to help a child sleep (so no "solution"). Each child is different, each family is different, and both the child and family change with time so something that does/does not work one week may not the next. I think the real value of her books (I have NCSS and the toddler version and prefer the toddler one) is that they provide a pretty clear description of "normal" sleep needs at different ages and then offer the reader dozens of different ideas which can be customized into the sleep plan that can work for you, your child, and your situation.

I never did a sleep chart and honestly didn't see them as a necessary part of the program...so I'm surprised how many mamas mention them! Especially since everyone seems to dislike doing them. I did put a paper by the bed and made a mark each time we woke up...it helped me realize that I had it a lot better than some mamas! But that was just one or two nights every couple of months.

Anyway, the toddler book helped me nightwean dd1 during my pregnancy, and when dd1 was younger it helped us create a sleep routine that worked for everyone. Now with two little ones it's helped me keep dd1's nap on track and although dd2 is still in the newborn "sleep a lot" phase I've been re-reading things to help me handle things that may come up. And it's the book I suggest to all my friends since it supports co-sleeping and breastfeeding.
timneh_mom's Avatar timneh_mom 06:14 PM 08-01-2007
Nahh... my kids don't do anything "sleep" by the book, unless the book talks about not sleeping. The only way I got my son to sleep better was to gently but firmly get him used to the crib. It's because I was 12 weeks pregnant and his keeping me up until that point was making me go totally nuts from being so tired. He regressed a bit when DD was born.

She is a pretty bad sleeper and so far putting her to bed early has backfired, it's just made her stay up MUCH later (because she thinks going to bed at 7 is a nap). I usually have to "help" her back to sleep every 45 minutes during naps and supposedly after a week they learn to do it themselves, well, she did it this morning but I will see if it's consistent after that.

Books just never have helped my kids. I've had to rely on my own instincts and try to follow their natural patterns (within reason) instead of putting them on a schedule.
WuWei's Avatar WuWei 07:30 PM 12-15-2007
Bumping to share with the mamas on the other NCSS thread.

Pat
riomidwife's Avatar riomidwife 05:02 PM 12-16-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
No, it didn't really work for us. ........The PPO just made her angry...... I found that if I nursed her in bed, she would latch on and only nurse for 30 seconds or so, and then drift off to sleep - with my nipple in her mouth! So of course she was getting hungry more often at night (and I wasn't getting any good sleep, and my back was always in knots!!).
this is our situation. i've only skimmed the book, but the PPO doesn't really work here, at least it hasn't yet. for those that is has worked for, how long (weeks?) did you have to do it before your child nursed efficiantly then went to sleep?

ds will do go on and off doing the PPO thing for 30 minutes each nursing. and we're up every 1-2 hours at 5 months. i can't nurse side-lying either for the above reasons. he'll just snack on and off all night because he's never getting a full belly.
1  2

Up