more questions for sidecar folks! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to sidecar our crib b/c I do want to sleep w/ DS but there is not enough room in our bed for all 3 of us.

After you nurse your DC, can you slide him back over there into his bed w/o him waking up?

How/where do you put him down for naps/bedtime after he is mobile? Will I have to lay down with him to get him to sleep every time? Right now he is 3 months old, usually nurses to sleep in my arms (not laying in bed) and then I jsut carry him in and lay him in his bassinet, or lay him on a bed of blankets on the floor.

just trying to figure it all out...

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 03:38 PM

We have an arms reach cosleeper and dd spends about half of the night in it and half in our bed. Some nights she spends all night in one or the other.

Most of the time I can nurse her lying down and after she is done and falls asleep I can transfer her over. sometimes we both fall asleep and she stays in bed with us.

we are working on naps - mostly she sleeps in a carrier - once and a while I can transfer her from my arms to a bouncy seat. I've been trying lying down with her, nursing, and sneaking away. She wakes up most of the time. She is also 3 mo, so I don't know what she will do when she is mobile. Good question.

good luck!

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27
#3 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

c'mon mamas w/ sidecar arrangements, please chime in!

#4 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolalight View Post
I want to sidecar our crib b/c I do want to sleep w/ DS but there is not enough room in our bed for all 3 of us.

After you nurse your DC, can you slide him back over there into his bed w/o him waking up?
I can slide ds over without a problem at all, if I need to

Quote:
How/where do you put him down for naps/bedtime after he is mobile? Will I have to lay down with him to get him to sleep every time? Right now he is 3 months old, usually nurses to sleep in my arms (not laying in bed) and then I jsut carry him in and lay him in his bassinet, or lay him on a bed of blankets on the floor.
nap time is constantly evolving for us...sling, pack n play, in arms, with ds #1 I could lay on the floor on blankets, on his little fold out play couch....right now with ds #2 (17 mos) I do one of two things, and have since he's been crawling: find a comfy chair where I plan to stay for his whole nap ( he's not the type that will let me set him down if he falls asleep in my arms like my first one) or I lie with him in bed/sidecar nurse him to sleep there, once he's asleep I sometimes doze off too- but not often- I have a 5 yr old. So after he's asleep I usually get up and will play with other ds in his room or do something near by, to stay in ear shot.

As soon as ds learned to crawl I taught him how to get down the "safe way" I wanted to be sure he knew how to get down safely so he didn't get hurt, just in case I didn't hear him or get to him as soon as he woke, also he would crawl around the bed in the evening (before bed) and I just wanted to teach him from the beginning how not to get hurt.

i just added this to my page today, complete with photos of ds taken this morning getting off the bed

We borrowed this from our parent /child swim class at the YMCA: When getting off the bed ( or into a swimming pool) always use "THE SAFE WAY" and always call it "THE SAFE WAY" this way when reminding them, they have consistancy and have a name/word they can associate with the method. teach them first by moving their body for them, then soon they will do it for themselves. Have them roll on to their tummy, and slide to and over the edge feet first, even before Davey could stand we taught him this, his feet would touch the ground enough to slow him before he landed on his butt. Here's Davey getting down "The Safe Way".

You can see the photos of David doing this here ( half way down the page)
HTH
#5 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh&davesmomme View Post

You can see the photos of David doing this here ( half way down the page)
HTH
What a cute little boy with his blue bear!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pictures-- we found that it was pretty easy to teach ds#2 to climb down out of the bed safely, too... it just became automatic--he would even do it in the middle of the night in the dark that way...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#6 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 AM

Our dd hardly ever slept in her cosleeper. She just wouldn't let me transfer her over, mostly she slept on my chest. The cosleeper became sort of like a bed rail, in case she rolled over . When she got mobile, I put her down for naps on our bed, baracaded in with pillows, or on the couch with baracades. A lot of the time, she just slept on me in a sling carrier while I moved around the house. We're waiting for dc #2 in August, but who's to say if he/she will be like sis? All kids are different. Good luck with your sleeping arrangment. Cosleeping can be a challenge sometimes, but it's definitely very rewarding!
#7 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 12:08 PM

we started using the side-car crib thing twon months ago...i think. but i prefer the beds on the floor! if it´s not possible, then why don´t you just get into the crib with your baby? the crib is big and i´m small so it´s ok i guess. but now i´m starting to put him in my bed to bf him with the opposite breast, or i sit on the bed. and when he´s done, i put him in the crib and get half of my body in there with him and he nurses to sleep...i usually wake up 3 hours later still inside the crib!

naps...most of them he sleeps on me, sling, etc., or in my armas while i study or look through internet. if i´m sleepy i sleep with him, on the floor on my bed, anywhere. if i have things to do, i put him down on blankets on the livingroom floor or, like now, in his crib with millions of pillows on the bed side...i´ve walked in a thousand times! i `prefer the floor thing! he´s 1yo and walking all over the house... but doné worry...the blankets on the floor do wonders!
#8 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 12:35 PM

we sidecar the twins. they sleep the short way in the crib side by side.
at first i held them while nursing and layed them down in the crib, asleep, w/ no problems. lately it seems easiest if i get in the crib w/ them and nurse each lying down- first one than the other for the middle of the night feedings.

blocking them off with pillows will help when older. i also taught my son how to get down off of the bed very young, which helped alot. he did spend some time sleeping on bedding on the floor when he was around 1? i think? and i would go to him in the night to nurse(not my fave arrangement) but easier when he was old enough to come back into our bed

naps are usually never in the crib. this way they associate night with the bedroom and it seems to help with good night time sleeping. naps happen in a wrap or in arms, or in our big recliner chair, with vibration! this will have to change soon as they are mobile but long as they are asleep, propped up in chair works here.

we just keep rolling with the changes...musical beds!!! but so far, so good!!!
#9 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM

We just side-carred recently and i love it! We did have a bassinette beside our bed but having to get out of bed to put him down was a pain and he was getting too big for it. He was mostly sleeping in my arms at my breast, but in the last month, decided he wanted a little more room and would start to thrash around. But there wasn't enough room in our bed to give him a piece, so we sidecarred the crib. And now when he gets thrashy, i just roll over and place him beside me in the sidecar... more room for him, more room for me

I nurse him to sleep for naps and then put him down in a pack and play in another room. Then i have access to my bedroom, and he has a safe place to sleep. He transfers well (for the most part)

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#10 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh&davesmomme View Post

As soon as ds learned to crawl I taught him how to get down the "safe way" I wanted to be sure he knew how to get down safely so he didn't get hurt, just in case I didn't hear him or get to him as soon as he woke, also he would crawl around the bed in the evening (before bed) and I just wanted to teach him from the beginning how not to get hurt.

i just added this to my page today, complete with photos of ds taken this morning getting off the bed
Lish, I just love your webpage, it is so helpful!

maxymum, that sounds so cute w/ your twins cuddling and sleeping. Do you have pics?

Thanks everyone, for your posts. Right now, DS is getting too big for his bassinet, but we are going on vacation in 4 days so he'll just sleep w/ me then. But when we come back, I'm doing this! It is so cool. I have always wanted to cosleep but didn't want to give up all my space. DH feels the same. And I just don't like all touching all the time. Like for naps, how y'all say they take them in arms sometimes... that was OK for me when DS was very small, but now it makes me stir crazy. I snuggle and hold him all day, so when he sleeps, I want and need that time to do some things for myself, my home, my family, yk?

#11 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paakbaak View Post
if i have things to do, i put him down on blankets on the livingroom floor!
I did this with my first, but now with 2 busy boys running around the house this would be so dangerous! A pile of blankets means run and jump on them to those guys...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#12 of 13 Old 03-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolalight View Post
Lish, I just love your webpage, it is so helpful!
Thank You I'm sooo glad it's helped you! I'm not really that computer literate or good at the web design thing, So I'm sure the page could be better, but I try.:

it's funny when I first began to create the side car page, dh thought I was a crazy person, 8 months pregnant, lifting the matress and taking pics of the bungies and all the "workings" of the set up, he didn't think anyone would ever look at it... I showed him!
#13 of 13 Old 03-09-2007, 01:41 AM

I have sidecarred our crib for all 3 kids. Normally I just slide myself into the crib slightly to nurse, that way I don't have to move the baby. I can even manage to position myself such that I can nurse from either breast, depending on which side is "due" (I alternate during night feedings). If I do end up bringing the baby into the bed, I just make sure that I move him/her back into the crib before the feeding is over.

As for nap time, this varies depending on the situation. Our kids have all been motion babies (seems to increase more with each kid we had). Most of our kids at that age wouldn't sleep in the crib during the day unless they were we got them to sleep in a sling first. Most times, our kids slept in a baby swing. We did use pillows on the rare occasion they did sleep in the crib.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page