Help with info on family bed and SIDS. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh's cousin and his wife lost their 6 week old baby the other day.:

They live in Nunavut, she is Inuit and they and her extendid family live a very traditional life. As such their dd slept in the bed with them. She was sleeping with her mom when she passed away.

I'm realy worried that she is going to be told that she smothered her baby. It's hard enough to loose a child but to think that it is your fault is unbearable imo.

I'm looking for information on the safety of the family bed (I personaly don't need convincing, just so you know) and anything that refutes the conection between sids and co-sleeping.

tia

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#2 of 9 Old 03-08-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM

I'm so sorry about your friend's baby. So sad, and you are right- to be blamed for it just makes it worse. I would send her to askdrsears.com, or to this site, which has a pretty good article http://www.babyreference.com/Cosleep...SFactSheet.htm
Cosleeping reduces the risk of SIDS, so she was doing the best she could. Sadly, there is nothing that is 100%, but it was not her fault, and she needs support from people like you, who know better. She is lucky to have you for a friend.
My thoughts and prayers go with your friend and her family.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2007, 04:12 PM

I'm sorry for their loss - it must be so hard without having people possibly blame you for the tragedy. As for resources: only have what Google brings up ( though I could probably search for some info here too)

http://www.babyreference.com/Cosleep...SFactSheet.htm

from Dr.Sears:
http://www.parenting.com/parenting/a...587349,00.html
and
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp
" CO-SLEEPING AND SIDS

Since research suggests that infants at risk of SIDS have a diminished arousal response during sleep, it seems logical that anything that increases the infant's arousability from sleep or the mother's awareness of her infant during sleep may decrease the risk of SIDS. That's exactly what sleeping with your baby can do. Here are the vital roles a sleep-sharing mother plays:

DR. SEARS SIDS HYPOTHESIS:

I believe that in most cases SIDS is a sleep disorder, primarily a disorder of arousal and breathing control during sleep. All the elements of natural mothering, especially breastfeeding and sharing sleep, benefit the infant's breathing control and increase the mutual awareness between mother and infant so that their arousability is increased and the risk of SIDS decreased. "

The reports that I can find that say " Don't do this - are put out by the AAP - but they also say to put the baby to sleep with a pacifier : and the Consumer Product Safety Commission who based their findings on death certificate information that did not take into account many factors that could have led to the deaths in question ( co-sleeping location, parents' intoxication levels, etc)

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#5 of 9 Old 03-08-2007, 04:15 PM

there is an article, I'll see if I can find it, that found the same infection in every baby whose death was labeled SIDS in the study. EVERY single one. I'm off to look for it, be back to post the link in a sec...

here's two that mention it.

http://sids-network.org/experts/shock_bateria.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s643571.htm
#6 of 9 Old 03-08-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou! I should have know to look at the Sears site.

#7 of 9 Old 03-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Please remember, smothering is NOT SIDS. The ladies left you great reference sites.

Although this page refers mainly to the tummy-sleeping myth, there are lots of references to medical explanations for crib death. Although most are still mysteries: http://blog.myspace.com/familymemories

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#8 of 9 Old 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

You might want to hold off on sending her info unless/until someone actually does accuse her of smothering the baby, or you might cause unintended anxiety and questioning just by trying to console her, if you know what I mean. Just a thought -- I'm sure you know how to best approach this horribly sad situation.

I've seen a couple of programs on SIDS that link it to an underdeveloped part of the brain, which keeps the baby from realizing that his oxygen supply is low, so he doesn't turn his head or whatever to get a bigger breath. I think it was on the Discovery Channel, but you might find more by googling.
#9 of 9 Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good point Kate. I'll hold off but I want to have info on hand.

And also good point Sandra, at this point all we know is that the baby was in bed with her mother when she died. (somehow I find that more comforting than a baby passing in a crib by themselves but that's just me)

Dh's aunt(the babies grandmother) and mother have brought up the smothering idea to us (dh and I). I have no idea if it's been mentioned to dh's cousin and his wife. I don't actually know them. I met the cousin once, he was at my wedding. Shortly after that he moved north for work. It was supposed to be short term but he met his wife, fell in love with her and her culture and has been there ever since. They also have a son who is I think 3.

Like I said in my first post, she is Inuit and they live in a very traditional village. I doubt that bed sharing is unusual there. My main worry is that any corener investigating the death is likely to be a) from outside that culture and b)new to his/her profession (doing their time in the north so they can get back south again seems to be a common theam) and therfore be somewhat inexperianced and trying to prove themselves. (kwim?)

I'm worried that she will be told that she smothered her baby simply because she was in bed with the baby when she died. Without other signes of trama, smothering can look just like sids and vice versa.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page