Co-sleepers! Come settle an argument.... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 99 Old 04-29-2007, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle View Post
I guess it would depend on your perception of "all night". I didn't co-sleep, but the babies were in our room by my side of the bed, in a bassinet. My older two BF, and I will tell you that after about 3-4 mos old, they did, indeed sleep through the night. Usually went to bed around 8 after eating, I "topped them off" around 11 or midnight and they slept until 5 or 6 am usually. Of course, there were deviations from their self-made "schedule", but that was the norm pretty much by 3 mos.

So, maybe I am not exactly like your friend, because the kids were not in our bed every night. But, I know that kids and sleep patterns differ. I know full-on co-sleepers whose kids do as your friend's do. It can happen and I would have no reason to doubt them.

To be honest, this board is the first place where I have EVER heard of BF babies who are on the boob for HOURS at a time. I mean, I nursed on demand, and they did more during growth spurts, but I never had a child literally attached to me for hours at a time.

So, I guess we all learn something new sometimes.
Our arrangement was similar, except that baby went to bed in the bassinet and then joined us sometime between 3-7am.

My first slept 4-hour stretches from birth, except during growth spurts. He was an evening cluster feeder, and one of the theories on cluster feeding I've read is that baby is "tanking up" for a logner sleep. For us, that was very true. He'd cluster feed, nursing nearly constantly from 6 or 7pm until 11pm, and then he'd conk out from 11 or midnight for 4 hours. I'd put him in the bassinette that was right against the side of the bed, and when he awoke I'd usually just bring him in with us (though if I had to get up to change a diaper I'd sit up and rock while he ate). That 4-hour stretch gradually lengthened, until at 11-ish weeks he did 6 hours, and then 7. By the time I had to go back to work at 16 weeks, he was sleeping from 8pm, dream-feeding at midnight, and most mornings I got up at 6am, showered, then got him up, nursed him, and tucked him in next to daddy, who cared for him until noon when I got home from work.

Of course, I thought this was typical, until his little sister was born. Hah. She didn't cluster feed, but she didn't go longer than 3 hours between nursing sessions until she was 14 months old...

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#92 of 99 Old 04-30-2007, 05:39 PM

I have to agree with the OP that this is both unusual and unlikely-BUT I hope it happens for us with our next baby
My DD is 13 months old, bfeeding and cosleeping since day 1 and has ALWAYS woken up 3-6 times per nite to nurse to sleep. I am looking for answers and may try the daddy nursing ideas I have read.
#93 of 99 Old 04-30-2007, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
I haven't read all the posts, but did your friend do pacifiers, or did her kids suck their thumbs or have loveys?

My first woke every two-three hours to nurse until I nightweaned her. My second has been sleeping through the night (with the exception of bad teething periods) since she was about 3 months old. But she also sucks her thumb and has a wooby.
Nope, nothing but the breast. She didn't "schedule" feedings, but she definitely didn't nurse as frequently as I have. I think it is more similar to "feeding" vs. "nursing" as I think about it. Like her dc nursed to sleep and for meals. Mine nursed for a lot of reasons other than that. Maybe like a PP said, she didn't just get lucky.... she encouraged them to not nurse all night long. But, so my next question for everyone is..... HOW DO YOU DO THAT?????? If my dc wakes in the middle of the night, I don't know what to do other than nurse them back to sleep. I have to admit that IS creating a suck to sleep correlation. So it's like the chicken and the egg. Which came first? The frequent nightwaking or the frequent nightnursing?
#94 of 99 Old 04-30-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
How long do you intend to cosleep and nurse?

And the duration of cosleeping can be very long. Years and years long. And all my kids weaned over age three, too. So you might want to rephrase the above sentence in re "basically the duration of" stuff in the OP.

I know. I co-slept and nursed my oldest ds until he was 4. He woke and nursed frequently at night until he was night weaned at 2.5+ My middle ds also nursed at night every 1-2 hours until night weaned and moved to his own bed at 18-20 months when I was pregnant. So, I'll stand by my original post, in MY experience and in a great number of families I know IRL (the majority) their children nurse frequently at night (which is NOT sleeping THROUGH the night) until they were moved out of the family bed and/or are over the age of 2.5 on average. And I still think that is normal. Or can be normal. No wonder mainstream folks think we are nuts. I guess I plan on nightnursing and co-sleeping again this time to around the same age, somewhere between 18 months and 4!
#95 of 99 Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMama View Post
I guess I plan on nightnursing and co-sleeping again this time to around the same age, somewhere between 18 months and 4!

Why not eliminate the plan, and just nightnurse and cosleep till they're done?

I mean, I didn't plan on cosleeping with a 9yo, 7yo, 5yo and still-nursing almost-3yo b'H ... it just happened.

YKWIM?

#96 of 99 Old 04-30-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
Why not eliminate the plan, and just nightnurse and cosleep till they're done?

I mean, I didn't plan on cosleeping with a 9yo, 7yo, 5yo and still-nursing almost-3yo b'H ... it just happened.

YKWIM?

I guess you missed the tongue in cheek.... what I was saying was in reference to my past experiences with my first two dc and meaning that I DON'T have a "plan" as evidenced by the range of ages I mentioned.
#97 of 99 Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 AM

I think my seven month old daughter is a pretty good sleeper, but she definitely doesn't sleep through the night. She sleeps next to me, and nurses for at least 1/2 of the night. She's either actively nursing or has my breast in her mouth. And it's normal.
#98 of 99 Old 05-01-2007, 01:50 PM

I had a reverse cycler meaning she refused a bottle while I was at work and nursed all night. So at 3 months she was waking constantly to nurse.
#99 of 99 Old 05-02-2007, 02:19 AM

Well, my son cosleeps, nurses and sleeps through the night... BUT this did not happen until after we nightweanted when he was 27mo, he's 31mo now.

That might not count for purposes of this survey.

I usually try to put him in his bed at the start of the night and he will wake to come into our room sometime later, but goes back to sleep without any parenting. If he starts in our bed, he will sleep straight through.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page