Is it time to night-wean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-01-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help me out here mamas…I’m not sure whether or not I should be thinking about nightweaning dd. She turned 2 last week, and as a result I kind of feel like she crossed some kind of threshold where she should be nursing less at night, but I’m just not sure what to do.

For:
We are starting to TTC #2. Dw will be the biomom, and if we are going to nightwean, I think it would be easier on dw if she wasn’t pregnant and exhausted at the same time…
We’d like to try and have some couple time in the evenings (esp. before dc 2 comes along), and I think it would be much easier if she was used to falling asleep other ways.
I may have to travel for work in a few months, and I want to make that as untraumatic as possible.
I think that at a base level, I am unaware of how deeply exhausted I am and how night nursing is part of that. I am generally grumpy and it is hurting my relationship with dw, and I’m sure that this is part of it. I also have low iron and am taking iron supplements, but each AF brings it back down again; bf at night is not helping this.
If nightweaning led to weaning, at least she is now 2 and I would feel as though I had given her 2 good years of bf.

Against:
I’m used to sleeping with her and nightnursing, I like the closeness, especially as a WOHM.
She has a HUGE preference for me in general and for me at night in particular. For example, if she wakes up in the morning and I am not there (like this a.m., I was in the shower), she FREAKS OUT and is very very upset until I appear. She is even unhappy if dw tries to put her pajamas on at night. So I have a feeling we’d need to go through some serious trauma before we could get there.
OTOH, DW is a SAHM right now nd she goes down for her quickly & easily for naps (10 min. or less). And dw has successfully gotten her to sleep at night, sometimes easily, sometimes with tears, but she is always able to do so…but never back to sleep, yk?
I’m concerned that she might wean all together, although given her worshipful adoration of my breasts I’m not sure that this is really a concern.
We all sleep okay, so what’s the problem?

So what do you think…so many people tell me that after they nightweaned, they regretted not doing it earlier as it was easier than they anticipated etc. And I’m wondering if I’d be making a mistake not just going for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say give it a try and if she's not ready you'll know. I nightweaned DD1 when DD2 was born. It was one awful night, one sorta bad night and then it was pretty much smooth sailing after that. We talked about it for a couple days before it happened and then stuck to what we said and it worked. I don't think it would have worked any earlier though, somehow it made sense to her with the new baby in the house. I don't think you need to nightwean her in preparation for travel though, it might be less traumatic not to. If you are there she nurses, if you are not there she can't. She'll probably have an easier time of it without the option.
#3 of 3 Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks Kate...it is a good point that we can try and always stop if it doesn't seem to be working...

other input would still be appreciated!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page