Do co-sleeping babies ever sleep through the night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2003, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was talking to my mother the other day about a summer vacation we're all going on and sleeping arrangements. My babies will be 6 months old, and I was trying to explain to my mom about how it's a lot easier if Dp and the boys and I can all sleep in one bed (as opposed to each of us sleeping in a twin-sized bed with one baby). When we're all together we can just pass the babies back and forth when they need to nurse. Anyway, my mom said, "But by 6 months they'll definitely be sleeping through the night! ALL of my babies were!" Of course, my mom didn't co-sleep with anyone other than my dad. And, even though I think my babies would be capable of sleeping through at this point, when they're right there with the boob, they're gonna want a little milk every once in a while. I don't mind nursing them in the night at all since I just sleep through it (at least I do when we're all in one bed). So I told my mom that co-sleeping babies never sleep through the night.

But, DO they?

Thanks!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2003, 02:48 PM

dd started sleeping through when we went to full time cosleeping.

Even if they are by then, being in a new place often causes sleep disturbances.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 06-15-2003, 12:40 AM

EVERY baby is DIFFERENT.

Here's what an article says at http://www.kellymom.com

Quote:
what is normal at six months?
(A longitudinal study of 640 babies)

Only 16% slept through the night at six months old -- 84% were not sleeping through the night at 6 months
17% woke more than once per night, ranging from twice to eight times
5% woke once every night
9% woke most nights
50% woke occasionally
16% of six-month-olds had no regular sleeping pattern
It doesn't say were they slept but it shows the everybody does it at 6 months idea to be, well, silly.

Mine didn't sleep through until she was a toddler but EVERY baby is DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 06-15-2003, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ours did at ten months, but only after we night-weaned. And, then I got to sleep through the night, too.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:15 AM

Ours does at 3 months, not sure if she will at 6! Either way we're okay, just surprised.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:04 AM

Maddie didn't sleep through until we moved her to her own bed at 2 years. She was just a really restless sleeper and that made us restless. She went to her own bed with no crying or protests so I feel as if she was ready for it. Mary-Grace is 3 months and will sleep through the night on occasion. I really don't expect a 6 month old to sleep through the night but I had Maddie who didn't sleep until she was 2 . I wouldn't worry about it and just keep sleeping with your babes. Is there any way you could push the two beds together to make one big bed? That way you can keep your bedtime routine.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
Old 06-15-2003, 03:50 PM

It depends what you mean by sleeping through the night. If you mean sleeps in stretches longer than five hours, my DD has been doing this since she was about 3 months old.

Usually she will sleep about 6 or 7 hours now without nursing, but occaisonally that is broken up by a feed, usually when she's teething, etc. She also nurses alot in the morning hours.

Thing is, nursing is a non-issue b/c she basically just stirs, I roll over and offer her my breast, she latches on, and I fall asleep again, barely having to wake. She nurses, unlatches when she's done and she's asleep instantly.

As for your parents, well most people in your mother's day sleep trained. My mother boasts all the time about how me and my brother slept through at 6 weeks (we were FF, too). So I'm sure your mother thinks it's weird. I personally think you should stick to your regular way of sleeping, especially since being in a new place could disrupt them.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 06-15-2003, 04:00 PM

ooo please don't be mad, but I was lucky, dd slept though the night (from about 10 pm-5 am) when she was a few days old. The first time she did it, it scared the crap outta me. I thought she had died or something and shook her.

so yes they can. although obviously they all don't. and yes, we were cosleepers.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:27 AM

My friends' son is the same age as my dd - 4 1/2 months. They have bed-shared since day one and he began sleeping from 10pm-5am at about 10 weeks.

I wish I could say the same!!
Old 06-16-2003, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas! It's nice to know that Luke and Jasper might someday sleep through the night and still be snugled up next to me. As is, they do sometimes go until 5 a.m., just not consistently, and rarely will both sleep through the SAME night, lol! I did convince my mom to let us have the queen-sized bed on vacation. She and my dad can sleep in the twins!

Happy sleeping to all!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:08 PM

My dd was a bottlefed cosleeping baby and we night weaned her early at around 5 mos because she started to get teeth. Didn't want her to get bottle mouth. She did sleep through the night off and on, but at 2.5 still doesn't sleep through the night 100%. She needs to roll over and touch someone to go back to sleep after a sleep cycle. We just moved her to her own bed a few months ago and are trying to break her of the need to touch someone to fall back asleep. We've been calling out to her instead but half the time she crawls into bed with us. :

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 06-17-2003, 12:16 PM

Some do, some don't. Dd#1 was almost two and I was pregnant before she slept through the night. Dd#2 did within weeks, and mostly does still, although teething or a stimulating day will sometimes lead to night nursing.

In any case, if you're happy with the arrangement, it doesnt matter!

The issue is often that breastfed babies are less likely to go for longer periods between feedings than formula fed babies, because they can digest bm so much faster. I often use this as an argument to people who have never breastfed. But again, there are no hard and fast rules, every baby is different.

Just go with what you feel is right, and get used to the comments about your co-sleeping. Believe me, they will probably never end - or not until your babies are in high school, anyway!
Old 06-17-2003, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
She needs to roll over and touch someone to go back to sleep after a sleep cycle.
Same with my dd whos the same age. We still cosleep.....right now I have a sidecar crib next to the bed, but she wakes when she doesnt feel one of us. So shes back in the middle again.......
Old 06-18-2003, 06:39 AM

My daughter started sleeping through the night at 3-4 weeks and we've coslept since birth. They are all different. Maybe she would have slept through the night regardless, maybe she does because we cosleep. Maybe a different baby would sleep through the night alone in a crib, but wake up often in the family bed.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:13 AM
svb

I just returned home from a 7 week trip visiting all my relatives. Since we cosleep at home, I wanted to especially on vacation to give her some safe, consistent space with me. After a few debates at some places (in-laws, chiefly) , everybody in all the different locations let us have the "big beds too". I'm glad I was insistent. H did very well being gone from home so long.

She's 10 mos and drinks 2-3 times in the night, bet never "wakes" in that sense.

Sounds like you've got things worked out now. Enjoy your vacation and the queen bed!

svb
Old 06-18-2003, 07:45 PM

my $ .02....

...my babies have always 'slept' through the night because of co-sleeping. Now, they also have nursed during the night, but I've rarely had a crying, upset, awake baby.

so, tell your mom that your babies do sleep through the night, but they like to eat in their sleep!

now, a four old who can wake up at 2:30am and continue a conversation we had at 8:00pm the night before is another story:

hugs!

User Tag List