advice for 21 mo no longer nursing to sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my DS (21 months old) has been slowly relying less on nursing to fall asleep at bedtime. in the last couple of weeks he's only nursed at bedtime a couple of times, and not nursed to sleep once (though he still nurses down for his naps every day, and usually does nurse once or twice during the night). this has been entirely on his own, and on the one hand, i'm happy about that.

*but* he hasn't really figured out a different way to soothe himself to sleep. so he thrashes around, climbs all over the place, and talks non-stop until he finally just drops and falls asleep. it's troublesome because DD also is in the family bed and it's hard for her to fall asleep with all his climbing and racket, so between his antics and her whining about his antics, it is starting to really stress me out. last night he was wiggling around so much that he accidentally head-butted me and split my lip.

he doesn't take a paci or have a lovey - unlike his sister who sucks her finger (despite nursing till she was three) and is attached at the hip to her blankie, he's totally not interested in anything like that. i've tried in the past.

so any advice on helping him figure out a better way to fall asleep? do i need to just ride this out, and eventually he'll figure it out on his own, or is there something i can do to help guide him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-02-2007, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about wearing him down to sleep in a sling, mei tai, etc.? We did that for a while when nursing stopped putting DD to sleep. I actually kind of liked it--I much prefer a long evening walk with DD and DH to a long bedtime routine at home.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page