How do you get your babies to actually GET to sleep? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How do you get your co-sleeping baby to go to sleep?
Nurse baby until asleep then leave room 100 64.94%
Nurse/cuddle, then leave while awake & baby goes to sleep alone 9 5.84%
Nurse/cuddle then leave & baby 'cries it out' 1 0.65%
Baby stays up until I go to bed 28 18.18%
Other (please explain) 16 10.39%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 07-14-2003, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're having problems with our dd going to sleep lately. She's almost 10 months. She HAS to nurse to sleep, and she nurses for comfort throughout the night, although once she's asleep, she only wakes up a few times thorugh the night. She sleeps in bed with us. The problem has been getting her to go to sleep initially. She has always gone to bed when we do, around 10- 11. Lately, she has been satying up till 12 or 1, just refusing to go to sleep. She won't lay down to nurse. I read in a book the other day that at this age she can intentionally keep herself up, even if she's tired. I think this might be what's going on. Eventually, she falls asleep while nursing, but she's practically crying herself to sleep. I hate this, but I don't know what to do.
Last night, for example, we tried to go to bed at 10:30. She got a bedtime story from Dad, we climbed in bed, and I started to nurse her. She kept coming off, wnating to crawl around and play. After a bit, she was crying a lot, probably because she was tired. We put her on the floor to play. She can climb into the bed if she wants to. But she was still crying. After a couple hours of trying to nurse her every little while, and having her play and cry, She finally nursed to sleep on my lap, and then I laid her down. I tried nursing her on my lap earlier, but it didn't work then. It's like she HAD to cry that much to get tired enough to let herself fall asleep. I don't like that, though. I am a bit frustrated, because we co-sleep, and still have sleep problems. I mean, it's not like we put her in a crib in another room. We cuddle all night, and she nurses at will. I don't know how to get her to go to sleep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 07-16-2003, 04:57 AM

Actuallly I nurse DS to sleep and often fall asleep too. If I wake up later and feel enough energy to get up then I do.

Ann
#33 of 41 Old 07-16-2003, 06:24 PM

I voted "Baby Stays Up Until I Go To Bed".

"Stays up" sounds misleading, though. Basically, she sleeps ON me while I watch TV on the couch. When it's time for bed, I take her up, change her, nurse her to sleep, and since we cosleep, I just drop off next to her.

This may have to change when she gets too big for napping on my chest, but for now, it works great.
#34 of 41 Old 07-29-2003, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Pam_and_Abigail
The problem has been getting her to go to sleep initially. She has always gone to bed when we do, around 10- 11. Lately, she has been satying up till 12 or 1, just refusing to go to sleep.
Oh Boy, can I relate, LOL. Honestly, (warning, you may not like this) your dd actually probably needs MORE sleep & NEEDS to go to bed earlier (i.e. 7:30-8:30). My dd has been through cycles like you're describing... up until all hours, and she just falls apart. Her napping is terrible, she's cranky, tired. I honestly find that if we stick to an earlier bedtime she does better. It's almost like if we let her stay up that late, she's so wound up, that she can't go to sleep.

You may have to start a really consistent bedtime routine, and start putting her to bed really early. At that age, babies still need 14-16hrs of sleep/day at least. I've found with my dd that sometimes shes so wound-up that when I try to nurse her/put her to sleep, she just tries to get up, play, etc. If I gently put my arm on her and hug her to me, she'll fight me for a minute (majorly protesting that I'm not letting her go play, LOL), then she'll settle down and go to sleep. I know she's tired, I think she just needs help. Also, my dd sometimes needs to cry for a few minutes like yours does before she'll settle down. I almost think sometimes it's a stress relief for her. A cleansing before bed. She doesn't cry long & I'm always there, but she'll fuss for a bit, then snuggle in & go to sleep.

I hope this helps. It's no fun when you never get a break or any time to spend w/dh!!
Good luck!
Amy
#35 of 41 Old 08-02-2003, 05:00 AM

I voted that I leave while he is asleep and he goes to sleep on his own but this is only about 2/3 of the time. A lot of the time he falls asleep while nursing.

Maxi has started crawling so I have just started putting him to bed in his crib for naps about a week ago and the past two nights I have put him to bed in his crib and brought him to bed with me when he wakes to eat. Up until now he has just gone to bed with me but I am scared of him falling out of bed now if I am not there.

I knew eventually he would use his crib and beautiful nursery -- it only took 8 months!
#36 of 41 Old 08-02-2003, 05:35 PM

*From birth and until Noah was around 10 months, I rocked him to sleep.

*From 10 months until 18 months I lied next to him in bed until he fell asleep.

* At 18 months he wanted to sleep in his crib. And without any help, he just started to sleep in the crib. I sat next to his bed until he fell asleep.

* Now, at 26 months, he sleeps in a toddler bed. I still sit next to his bed until he falls asleep. Some nights he wants to curl up in my arms and fall asleep on me while I sit in the rocking chair.

And every night he crawls into my bed when he wakes up to drink some water....

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#37 of 41 Old 08-03-2003, 09:10 AM

when dd was small, she would stay up as late as we would, nursing and dozing off as needed...until we all settled in for the night (and she would continue to nurse and doze as needed ).

as she got older, she started getting sleepy around 8pm. we would nurse, then she would have story time with her papa, and she would fall asleep in her crib with no crying. if she cried, asked to sleep with us, or woke up later on upset, she would move into our bed.

now that dd is weaned (she self weaned at age 2), we read books and cuddle until she is asleep. with a new baby coming, we're all in a state of transition, so more often than not she needs me to stay with her when she naps...and even when she goes does for bedtime. today, we're going shopping for a king sized bed to see if going back to family bed full time helps calm her (and me).
#38 of 41 Old 08-03-2003, 10:32 PM

So glad to read all these replies - we are in the midst of "I will not go to sleep...no, no, no, no, no way will I go to sleep!!" My little ladybug is 18m and every night we go through a 45 minute endurance test of nursing and crying and cuddling and crying and nursing and crying and cuddling which almost always ends with a ride in the car - thank God she stays asleep to move to crib or bed. I've read the Pantley and we've moved bedtime earlier, try to stick to a consistent routine, make sure she gets on 2-3 hour nap at the same time everyday.....and still we go through this every night - in fact, dh is out Driving Miss Gracie as we speak. I know that she is tired....I watch her drift off to sleep and then wake herself up by talking or sitting up or rolling over. It's infuriating!!!! What do you do with a babe who will not go to sleep - I'm becoming convinced that we are going to drive her to sleep forever!!! AARRRGGHHH
#39 of 41 Old 08-04-2003, 03:15 PM

MaryEllen: Take a deep breath! This will NOT last forever!!

Just a little word of encouragement: My son was EXACTLY like that 1 year ago. He is now 26 months old. Tonight he fell asleep 5 minutes after being put to bed. He said goodnight, gave me a big kiss, grabbed his pacies, held my hand and fell asleep.

Not every night is like this, but 90% of our evenings he falls asleep in less then 30 minutes. Without fussing or crying. All he needs is me (or his daddy when he stays at his house) and 2 pacies.

Your DH will eventually not need to drive Miss Gracie around every night, I promise! LOL

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#40 of 41 Old 08-11-2003, 07:05 PM

I usually get dd ready for bed while dh walks the dogs. THen we all get into bed together, dd nurses a bit, we read a book and cuddle and she usually falls to sleep quite easily. If I am reading something good I might stay up and read a bit but as often as not I'm zonked by 9 or 9:30 myself so I just conk out too.
On nights that I know I have to stay up late I'll do evrything as normal and then get up and leave one she's asleep.

Dd WILL NOT fall asleep alone. Or at least I've never let her cry long enough to find out how long it would take, but it doesn't seem like a good way to fall asleep, I sure wouldn't like it.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#41 of 41 Old 08-12-2003, 12:34 PM

I bathe with Thomas around 7:30, then dad takes him and puts his diaper on him for bed. I then take Thomas to our bed, lie down and nurse him to sleep. I leave the room after he's asleep, but I always leave the television on so that the niose from that drowns out any noise Matt or I might make by coming in and out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page