how to transition out of family bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-16-2003, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we have co-slept for almost 2 years now,, and my DH is really feeling like we need to have some space back,,and I am starting to feel that way too. So before we get to the point at which we really hate sharing our bed, how shall me start this transition? We really have time here, neither of us need him out NOW..but soon.

Josh does have a twin mattress on the floor in his room that he naps on, and sometimes will start the night on. ( though this has been rare lately, adding to our need for space. He just will not sleep there, even if I nurse him to sleep then lay him down, he always wakes and is really mad to be there) Putting his bed next to ours is not an option, as we just don't have room.

Tips from someone who has successfully made this transition?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-17-2003, 03:10 PM

I have been watching your post hoping for some advice because I have been considering transitioning DS (13 months) out of the bed. Since no one has posted yet I thought I would suggest the "No Cry Sleep Solution". She has some advice about doing this. Have you read it?

I have been thinking about doing a REALLY SLOW transition. I am thinking about having DS and I sleep on a mattress in his bedroom for however long I think necessary and then to put him in the crib while I stayed in the room sleeping on the mattress for however long necessary, eventually moving back to our bedroom. At this point I am still just thinking about it, but I know I am getting close to doing this. I think taking lots of time to do this transition is important.

Brooks
#3 of 5 Old 06-17-2003, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! I was hoping to be flooded with advice! Where is everyone!

Brooks~ I think we have decided that for us, the first step needs to be nightweaning..so we are going to say "night night" to "mama" at bedtime,,and "mama" won't wake back up until morning,,,

Yikes! Joshua really will nurse all night if I let him, and he drove me batty last night because he just kept rubbing me, caressing my arm, wrapping his leg over my hip, twiddling my other nipple,,I swear I only got about two hours sleep total...

So....wish us luck! This is going to be a rough few days!

staci
#4 of 5 Old 06-19-2003, 12:39 PM

Hi! We have just successfully transferred our 8 month old into a crib, she no longer needs to nurse at night and she doesn't need to nurse/suck in order to fall asleep. This doesn't mean that our co-sleeping days are over I just felt that it was time for her to not be dependent on these things anymore. I never thought this would happen and we did it in 4 nights!!! We did it by folloing the plan of a woman named Anna Walhgren, from Sweden. The following link is a translated version of the article.
http://user.tninet.se/~rqm379w/no.html
It really is a whole philosophy about parenting that really clicked with me and my husband so we gave it a try.
#5 of 5 Old 06-22-2003, 07:34 AM

Well, we aren't ready to transition yet, but as for the nightweaning, I can offer what worked for us. Honestly, I wasn't consciencously "night weaning" him, but had the same result. Basically, once I nursed him to sleep, I just rolled over so my back was to him. (to clarify...the actual reason I did this was because my back was killing me when I woke up and I needed a more comfortable sleeping position) I could feel him wake up once in a while and reach for me, but he fell back asleep again before he "found what he was looking for". When he is trully hungry (usually only in the morning), he wakes up enough to crawl over me and start nursing. He went from nursing out of habit, to learning to get back to sleep on his own without any harsh transitions, just a gradual process.

Hope that helps

oh...I think I started doing this around 14 months, now at 17 months he doesn't wake up during the night unless there is a problem. Not sure of the start date...but that would be my guess.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page