I Know This is Wrong...but WHY?? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 94 Old 05-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinelin View Post
I expected to have the baby in a cosleeper until, say 6 months, when she would, of course, be sleeping through the night in her own crib.
Me too, exactly! Ah, what a good hamper the cosleeper makes...
#92 of 94 Old 05-29-2007, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to say that I also tried to read the Baby Whisperer - I really didn't like that one, in fact I felt like it was worse than Ferber. If your baby doesn't do X,Y, and Z on this timeline, its because YOU didn't do something right. And most stupid, her motto is "start as you mean to continue" - i.e. don't start co-sleeping and then be surprised when it sucks and you have difficulty moving the baby into a bed. What new parent knows how they want things in to be in months or years from now? Kids change all the time. And she calls night-nursing parents "naive" for "whipping out the boob" whenever the baby wants it.
#93 of 94 Old 05-29-2007, 10:22 PM

We are mammals and animals. Babies are the truest most natural state of humans. Surviving on instinct.
Before DS was born I had NO intention of cosleeping or BF past 6 months and assumed that by 12 weeks he would be sleeping through the night.
Well 10 months later we co-sleep about 70-80% of the time and am still BF and BFing to sleep.
I learned about co-sleeping the hard way. I had my DS in a separate room in a crib and he woke up a lot. Finally I said I cant get up anymore. As soon as I brought him in he relaxed and slept. I am lucky that when we co-sleep, he sleeps for long stretches, 3-5 hours.
My point to the OP is, Good for you for following your instincts. My DH too at first was not on board with my "Earth Mom" parenting. But just tonight he asked if we should buy a cosleeper or rails for the bed. He realizes that our DS does not want to be in a separate room alone. I say "Do you think our ancestors had their babies in a different cave?". Yes I wish he would sleep for 10 hours in his crib. But in reality as a PP said, being with Mama at night is what babies are hard wired to do.
I have to read Dr.Gordons article. I am so glad that you stuck to your principles and didnt CIO. The reality is that all methods will have some crying even stuff in the NCSS by Pantley. But I truly believe that a baby crying with Mama holding him b/c the boobies have gone night night is MUCH different than being alone in a dark room left to cry.
Continued sleep and luck to you!
#94 of 94 Old 05-30-2007, 10:04 PM

3 DD here, 3 different sleepers.

1st one took the longest to sleep through the night. But now . . .she is 5 (in Feb.)-- we read to her, then she reads to herself (sometimes for an hour ), then turns off her light and SLEEPS!

2nd one (2) co-sleeps with DH. Does not sleep thru the night, but only wakes 1 or 2 Xs.

They really improved sleep once I nightweaned (I cannot sleep thru nursing, and they woke up hourly most nights).

23rd (3 months) falls asleep (nursing or being carried), then I put her tummy down in the crib. (I WISH I'd done this with my first two.) If I hold her she gets restless. She sleeps for 6 hours, nurses right back to sleep (we co-sleep at that point), then sleeps 2 more hours. She wakes every hour to nurse. She may start waking more once she starts teething.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page