Transitioning from family bed to crib to toddler bed - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I've been contemplating investing in a sidecar crib, but DH isn't too fond of it because he thinks it is a wasted investment since DD is almost seven months old, an according to him should be sleeping in a separate crib by one year. He says that since we're going to have to get another crib so soon anyway, why waste money on a cosleeper now? But I can't picture myself ever using a normal crib. DD loves to cuddle to sleep, and as she gets older I'd love to lie with her and read her stories. Putting her in a crib seems so cold and jail-like to me... how am I supposed to comfort her to sleep from behind rails? The way I envision is happening is using the sidecar until she sleeps through the night or DH won't put up with it anymore, and then transitioning right to either a mattress on the floor or a low to the ground toddler bed with side rails so that I can at least get close to her or climb in with her until she falls asleep.
Anyone else done something like this? Is it dangerous to put her in a toddler bed too early, or what are safety measures I can take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Well... we never used a crib and dd is nearly 3 and still in our bed, so I may not be the best person to ask.

You can side car a regular crib or a toddler bed or a single bed.

-Angela
#3 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 PM

sounds like she may already be too big for a co-sleeper and you might just want to skip it and sidecar a crib--there are tons of post on it here-so you can really read about it and figure out what works best you your space...

You just get a regular crib and rig it up to your bed...

or a twin (if it fits--one wouldn't fit in our "closet bedroom" which isn't much bigger than a twin bed )

There are all sorts of cool 'co-sleeping' pillows you can purchase if desired, too, to make the twin bed not so biggish...

this is what I would do, personally--if it would fit!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#4 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I would skip the toddler bed and get a twin mattress on the floor so you can snuggle her to sleep and then slip away.

For a side-car crib, I would buy a full-sized crib that converts to a "toddler daybed"- and take the side off (as for toddler daybed option) and connect it to the side of your bed.

DH should be happy with the purchase because, whenever she's ready, theoretically you can turn it back into a normal baby cage. Where did he ever get this crazy notion anyway that most babies sleep alone by 12mo? sure, some babies prefer it (no judgement for those families who find this works well for them) but IME many babies simply aren't ready by then!!

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Where did he ever get this crazy notion anyway that most babies sleep alone by 12mo? sure, some babies prefer it (no judgement for those families who find this works well for them) but IME many babies simply aren't ready by then!!
:

Personally, having had a fire in our house as a child, I'm not comfortable for safety reasons having a child in a different room from me until I know they can get out of the house on their own in an emergency.

-Angela
#6 of 6 Old 06-14-2007, 11:27 PM

DD1 slept with us until she was three, when she became all knees and elbows. I got her a full size futon that was in a room that actually opened up to ours. The first few nights I cuddled with her, and she was very excited about being a "big girl", and DH and i were thrilled to have our whole bed to ourselves. With DD2 it was totally different. At around nine months we started re-painting the master bedroom, and although we bought a crib for her we never used it, it just sat in the spare room. The night we were painting it got late, and DH just put some linens in the crib and I nursed her to sleep, put her in and resumed painting. She did not wake till 7 am, and it has been that way for the last two months. The only problem is that she would not transition BACK to co-sleeping.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page