Mothering Forum banner

Night Terrors

809 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  merpk 
#1 ·
Our 8 year old has suffered with night terrors for about 2 years. He gets out of bed very upset, he is still sleeping, he turns on lights, yells sometimes, dances around like his feet are on fire and won't let us touch him - when we do he acts like it hurts him. Sometimes he just sleepwalks and we walk him back to his bed but sometimes he is very upset.
Three weeks ago I woke to nurse our one year old and heard rain. It took me a while but I realized it was inside the house. I got up and it was pouring in my master closet, hall bath and laundry room. I ran upstairs and he had gotten out of bed, plugged the tub, turned on the shower and gone back to bed. There was 2 inches of standing water in the upstairs bathroom

We have removed the plug from the tub hoping this will prevent this from happening again but we're not sure what to do about the sleep walking & night terrors

The onset does not correspond with any major life changes and we assumed he would grow out of it but has been 2 years already.
Any suggestions?

Keri

See less See more
#2 ·
A friend of mine took her child to a "sleep therapist." If it were me, I woud get some professional help. They may just have some suggestions that would work. Things you havn't thought of trying, or just didn't know to try. The cost would probably be less than having to repair water damage in your house
or who knows what else might happen if this isn't taken care of some how. Good luck.....sorry I don't have any other suggestions.

#3 ·
Wow. That is really scary, both for you and your son. I used to have night terrors when I was little, and I remember one. My furniture was growing. Very scary. My mom sat with me while I cried. I don't have any further suggestions, other than what PB's mom suggested: taking him to a sleep therapist, and doing it soon. I'm 32 now, and I still have problems sleeping.

#4 ·
I strongly recommend homeopathy. It's not just for purely physical problems. It treats the whole person. Even though we've been doing it for several years, it still amazes me when it affects my emotions profoundly. Find a classical homeopath (something like this isn't for someone who just dabbles). Or PM me for the name of a good homeopath who will do telephone consults. We still consult with him even though we've moved to another state. No matter what you end up doing, I hope you find something that works!!

#6 ·

Would second the suggestion of some sort of therapist to see if a reason could be found for it continuing so regularly and so long ...

I had them myself as a kid, don't know if there was any reason or organization to why or when, but can recall a few of them. They were infrequent, and stopped at some point ... have always thought they related to bullying I dealt with in school (had a thread about that in Parenting Issues) because it was such an overwhelming issue for me ...

Anything possibly like that going on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.