No Cry Sleep Solution Support Thread.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 473 Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
prettypixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are any other mamas in the middle of trying the NCSS's tips to improve baby's sleep? Maybe we could discuss here what is working, what is not, etc... Personally I feel like every time I take one baby step forward, I take two big ones backwards! And I am *tired!* Anyone else?

My baby is 6.5 months old, and currently wakes about every hour at night. I have low milk supply, so she is bottle nursed over night, but I swear she eats just like a 100% breastfed baby! I am doing the Pantley Pull Off, a bedtime routine, trying to make nights and naps obviously different, using a womb bear, and developing key words. I'm also planning to start using a crib for parts of the night, as her restless turning is keeping me up (and we have a king bed).

I've only been doing it for a few days so far, but some progress... two days ago she took a two hour nap without waking once! Now if I could just have a few two/three hour stretches at night...

Anyways it would be nice if we could encourage each other.... if there are other moms out there doing the same thing???
prettypixels is offline  
#2 of 473 Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
 
bdoody11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perpetual Bliss
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just started reading it. If we decide to try a plan perhaps I'll join back in.

Good luck to all the mamas trying to get more sleep!

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

bdoody11 is offline  
#3 of 473 Old 07-19-2007, 09:12 PM
 
earthgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read that book about 3 times now. Currently, I am doing routines for nap and bedtime. You know, it's easier to post what I'm not doing. I'm not using a lovey, doing the Pantley pull-off or, putting DD down drowsy. I just can't bring myself to pull DD off my breast and there is no drowsy. My DD seems to be in 2 states: asleep or wide awake! Personally, I don't have problems w/ her night wakings. My big problem is getting her to nap for more than 30 minutes. And more recently it's been taking a while to get her down for the night. That's actually what prompted me to read the book again. Anyway, I'm on day 4 of trying to stick to a routine and have seen ZERO improvement. I'll keep trying though. Hopefully I'll be back w/ a positive update!
earthgirl is offline  
#4 of 473 Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
prettypixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for posting! I have read it like three times too, I keep rereading it hoping for more insight! I don't mind waking a few times a night, but I do mind waking HOURLY and then having one solid hour of wide awake time at 2am. I'm just exhausted. She seems fine though!

I just noticed btw that the majority of her "test mommies" are reporting excellent results after a month or longer... so that's part of why I was thinking of a thread for support... it's a long time to keep at it!
prettypixels is offline  
#5 of 473 Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 AM
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok,weird, weird, weird.

I was going to go to bed early. It's 8:30 here right now. But I thought, no, I need to bolster myself against the crazy that is happening here right now as we are in the second week of trying to get 11 month old Gooby to sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time at night and not wake up to play for 2 or sometimes 3 hour stretches in the middle of the night. I thought, I'm going to get on MDC and post a support thread for folks working on breaking the nurse to sleep association. And what do you know? The thread is already up and running.

So.... I'm joining, and inviting others to join by sharing the following info.

The Problem: After 11 months of only getting an occasional 3 hour stretch of sleep, and the recent development of a) fighting bedtime and b) waking to play in the middle of the night, I am ANGRY. I am resentful of my child. I am snappy to my husband. I've even kicked the cat. I have been the very picture of patience until this last month, but I am pretty much always one yawn away from crazy. I should note too that we EC at night, and that what used to be considered a success is now a huge stumbling block: he wakes to pee, but only nurses to sleep. It's a wake, pee, eat, sleep, wake to pee again cycle.

The Ideal: 2 months from now I would like.... I'd love to get at least 1 five hour stretch of uninterrupted sleep while lying next to my Gooby, who has not shed his body weight in tears to get to that point. That's all I want. Oh, and easier bedtimes and no bouncing, chattering elf pulling my hair at 2:30 a.m. Is that so much to ask?

The Tactics:
  1. DH puts Gooby to bed, and handles any wakings until my bedtime. Unless the fussing is desperate, I try not to intervene. How we handle pottying at this time is still unclear.
  2. So I'm trying to stick with full feedings at bedtime, 11, 3, and 6, upon waking. At 11 and 3 I hope to be able to feed him sitting up and then lie him down before he is out cold. Hahahaha. The reason we for the time being still have two feedings scheduled is... well, not a good one. I just have a hard time believing he can go that long without eating. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot.
  3. Nightwakings in between these times are minimum boobed wakings; I try to do the Pantley pull off. Last night we did this for AN HOUR before I gave up, and then he was AWAKE AWAKE AWAKE.
  4. If he does not settle with the Pantley pull off, I get up and walk him. Waking the workaday DH to walk him is a last resort, but comes in handy when I am so mad that I have to go throw rocks at the backyard.
  5. I should add that we have a consistent early bedtime and routine, and naps are not usually a problem, though we may be starting to have only 1 nap a day.

So there it is, our plan. Comments? Suggestions?

I'm wishing you all out there luck tonight, and hoping for some for myself as well.

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)
 

Aletheia is offline  
#6 of 473 Old 07-20-2007, 09:28 AM
 
earthgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Ok,weird, weird, weird.

[*]Nightwakings in between these times are minimum boobed wakings; I try to do the Pantley pull off. Last night we did this for AN HOUR before I gave up, and then he was AWAKE AWAKE AWAKE.[*] If he does not settle with the Pantley pull off, I get up and walk him. Waking the workaday DH to walk him is a last resort, but comes in handy when I am so mad that I have to go throw rocks at the backyard.


So there it is, our plan. Comments? Suggestions?

I'm wishing you all out there luck tonight, and hoping for some for myself as well.
nak
this is why i'm scared to do the pull-off. lately it's really hard to get dd down for the night. i can't imagine throwing in something that's going to make it worse, even if it's just temporary.

good luck to you!
earthgirl is offline  
#7 of 473 Old 07-20-2007, 02:08 PM
 
nylecoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am also crazy tired and angry/resentful of pretty much all living beings at the moment.

We have an EXTREMELY consistent bedtime routine - down to the same three books in the same freaking order.

I am developing a routine (shorter, of course) for naps and I'm putting dd on a sort of schedule where we have quiet hours to encourage napping. She still wakes up from her naps after about 40 minutes but if I rock her or hold her quietly she'll fall back asleep for another 40 after about half an hour or so.

The other day she napped for over 200 minutes! (Oh yeah, I've created a sleep journal) Normally she naps for a total of 90 in a day.

Night time has not really changed at all except that now it takes her about 45 minutes to go down (even though she's showing obvious signs of being tired) instead of 15. She still wakes up anywhere between 5 and 6 times in a 10-12 hour period.

Oh yeah, she's 7 mos old and has been going through a ton developmentally in the past month, but she's never been a very easy sleeper. Getting closer to walking, so I hope once she's got that down she'll sleep. Please. PLEASE.

SUMMARY:
Wake up 6:30-ish
1st nap: 8:30-9:15
Rock/hold: 9:15-9:45
Sleep: 9:45-10:20

Repeat those steps between 1:00 and 3:00 pm.

Bedtime routine starts around 6:30 generally.
Read, rock, nurse, rock until 7 or 8 depending on the night.
nylecoj is offline  
#8 of 473 Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 PM
 
Subliime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so glad I found this thread. When I started our routine 10 days ago I saw immediate improvements. She seriously went from waking every 1-2 hrs to sleeping one 4-5 hr stretch plus a 3 hr stretch and then a 2 hr stretch every night for a few nights. Now that it's time to do another sleep journal it's back to every hour b/c of teething. Come on now. Anyways, I have been trying the PPO and it was working at first but not the past few nights. Does anyone know if teething is causing this?
Subliime is offline  
#9 of 473 Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 PM
 
snt88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in a similar boat. And starting to feel VERY tired and VERY frustrated.

I used some NCSS tactics a while ago (successfuly), and I just ordered my own copy, instead of taking it out of the library for the 3rd time. I moved bedtime earlier and developed routines, and I sing the same bedtime song as a sleep cue. That seemed good for a while, but now my almost 8 month old is waking more and more at night, and not going to sleep in the evening.

I was starting the Pantley Pull-Off, but now that things have gotten so bad, I've stopped, I'm afraid we won't get any sleep at all! That being said, I start work one evening a week in the fall, and I don't know how dh will survive that one night a week if she doesn't have other ways to fall asleep by then. Aah! Don't know how to prioritize.

We also had moved from co-sleeping to dd sleeping in the crib, so that I could get some sleep, but now the only way she WILL sleep is in bed with me, which means I'm getting kicked, hair pulled, etc....all night long.

DD has also mastered the 40 minute nap, so I'm doing Pantley's method of staying really near by (in bed with her) and nursing her back to sleep as soon as she wakes up. It seems to work about half the time, and the second period of sleep is usually longer than 40 minutes.

Looking forward to seeing what other people are doing and hearing about roadblocks and successes.
snt88 is offline  
#10 of 473 Old 07-20-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
 
prettypixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Ok,weird, weird, weird.

I was going to go to bed early. It's 8:30 here right now. But I thought, no, I need to bolster myself against the crazy that is happening here right now as we are in the second week of trying to get 11 month old Gooby to sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time at night and not wake up to play for 2 or sometimes 3 hour stretches in the middle of the night. I thought, I'm going to get on MDC and post a support thread for folks working on breaking the nurse to sleep association. And what do you know? The thread is already up and running.

So.... I'm joining, and inviting others to join by sharing the following info.

The Problem: After 11 months of only getting an occasional 3 hour stretch of sleep, and the recent development of a) fighting bedtime and b) waking to play in the middle of the night, I am ANGRY. I am resentful of my child. I am snappy to my husband. I've even kicked the cat. I have been the very picture of patience until this last month, but I am pretty much always one yawn away from crazy. I should note too that we EC at night, and that what used to be considered a success is now a huge stumbling block: he wakes to pee, but only nurses to sleep. It's a wake, pee, eat, sleep, wake to pee again cycle.

The Ideal: 2 months from now I would like.... I'd love to get at least 1 five hour stretch of uninterrupted sleep while lying next to my Gooby, who has not shed his body weight in tears to get to that point. That's all I want. Oh, and easier bedtimes and no bouncing, chattering elf pulling my hair at 2:30 a.m. Is that so much to ask?

The Tactics:
  1. DH puts Gooby to bed, and handles any wakings until my bedtime. Unless the fussing is desperate, I try not to intervene. How we handle pottying at this time is still unclear.
  2. So I'm trying to stick with full feedings at bedtime, 11, 3, and 6, upon waking. At 11 and 3 I hope to be able to feed him sitting up and then lie him down before he is out cold. Hahahaha. The reason we for the time being still have two feedings scheduled is... well, not a good one. I just have a hard time believing he can go that long without eating. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot.
  3. Nightwakings in between these times are minimum boobed wakings; I try to do the Pantley pull off. Last night we did this for AN HOUR before I gave up, and then he was AWAKE AWAKE AWAKE.
  4. If he does not settle with the Pantley pull off, I get up and walk him. Waking the workaday DH to walk him is a last resort, but comes in handy when I am so mad that I have to go throw rocks at the backyard.
  5. I should add that we have a consistent early bedtime and routine, and naps are not usually a problem, though we may be starting to have only 1 nap a day.

So there it is, our plan. Comments? Suggestions?

I'm wishing you all out there luck tonight, and hoping for some for myself as well.
Maybe you could try scooting back on the PPO... ie: if you are now doing it when he is still a little awake, do it JUST after he's fallen asleep... or if your norm is to wait 5 min after he falls asleep, do it 4 min after he falls asleep... to make it a really gentle transition? Gradually work up to removing the nipple while his eyelids are still fluttering....?

The EC thing must be tough! I don't have any advice for that...

(Of course this is advice from a woman who hasn't had a five hour stretch of sleep in... I dunno how long... LOL so take with several grains of salt...)
prettypixels is offline  
#11 of 473 Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
prettypixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliime View Post
I'm so glad I found this thread. When I started our routine 10 days ago I saw immediate improvements. She seriously went from waking every 1-2 hrs to sleeping one 4-5 hr stretch plus a 3 hr stretch and then a 2 hr stretch every night for a few nights. Now that it's time to do another sleep journal it's back to every hour b/c of teething. Come on now. Anyways, I have been trying the PPO and it was working at first but not the past few nights. Does anyone know if teething is causing this?
I don't know. My baby is teething, but her two bottom teeth have already come through. I can't feel any coming in anywhere else though I know that doesn't mean they aren't there. She is still pulling her ears and shrugging her shoulders, so I know she's feeling some pain. (No ear infection, confirmed by doc.) I wish I knew when the teething eases up a little!!!!
prettypixels is offline  
#12 of 473 Old 07-20-2007, 11:30 PM
 
Elipsisqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teething can still interfere with my 19 month old's sleep patterns (like last night, waking every hour/2). It's really hard on some kids.
Elipsisqueen is offline  
#13 of 473 Old 07-20-2007, 11:33 PM
 
Elipsisqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lately I"ve had some luck with my husband getting DS to sleep. He lies down with him, and I really think DS is sleeping longer. Just thought I'd share that...
ALso, lately I have given my 19 month old a bottle of water when he wakes at like 1 and 3, and he takes a little sip, gets frustrated and goes back to sleep. I think the bottle of water is helping...
Elipsisqueen is offline  
#14 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 AM
 
TridentineFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: metropolitan Atlanta, GA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so glad to find this thread! I just read Pantley's book for the third time and am working on some things. I'm simply relieved to hear of other mamas who are as frustrated and angry and resentful as me. I feel crazy sometimes, but I've gone nearly eight months usually waking hourly . . . and that's liable to make anybody bonkers! :
TridentineFan is offline  
#15 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 11:03 AM
 
nylecoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Pantley Pull Off method works well for us at naptime, but not so much for bedtime. The past few days we've been out of town and DH has come in to put DD down after I've read, rocked, and nursed and he's been far more successful at it than I. With me she just sucks and sucks and sucks and sucks and sucks and sucks and sucks and sucks which makes me a little crazy.
nylecoj is offline  
#16 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 11:17 AM
 
bellymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: humboldt california
Posts: 2,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i read it when ds was a tiny newborn. i like the fact that its a book that doesn't advocate cio and that it somewhat encourages co-sleeping (although the ridiculous chapter on making your bed safe seemed like overkill...duuuuuh...) but i'll be honest, i just think any book that tells you how to raise your kid is faulty, because your kid just isn't going to fit the description...yk? and then i think mama's go crazy because they are like, i followed all the directions and my dc is still not doing it...and then you get even more obsessed with whatever aspect of childrearing that particular book focused on, in this case, sleep training...yes, i said it. i think the pantley theory is gentle sleep training, but sleep training nonetheless....
imho...you might do better just taking it day by day, because your baby is going to change every day...and i don't think babies have sleep issues...they are doing what they are hardwired to do...which, unfortunatly for us very very tired mamas (i woke up at 5 am today: after a wiggly night!)isn't always sleeping at the same time we do...
anyway, if the book is working for you, then go for it! but if its not, don't think its because you aren't doing it right, yk? i think that just makes whatever problems you are having worse...
plus i just found that book to be to much about log keeping...you are already sleep deprived,right?why waste more time you could be sleeping on writing down stuff about your babies sleep pattern.
from my limited experience with my little sister, my baby and what my girlfriends babies have done, this is the rule: as soon as you got baby figured out...they change on ya again...sneaky little buggers .
anyway...i really hope you all are getting rest...nothing is worse then mamahood on an empty tank!
mizzzashlee likes this.
bellymama is offline  
#17 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
prettypixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellymama View Post
i read it when ds was a tiny newborn. i like the fact that its a book that doesn't advocate cio and that it somewhat encourages co-sleeping (although the ridiculous chapter on making your bed safe seemed like overkill...duuuuuh...) but i'll be honest, i just think any book that tells you how to raise your kid is faulty, because your kid just isn't going to fit the description...yk? and then i think mama's go crazy because they are like, i followed all the directions and my dc is still not doing it...and then you get even more obsessed with whatever aspect of childrearing that particular book focused on, in this case, sleep training...yes, i said it. i think the pantley theory is gentle sleep training, but sleep training nonetheless....
imho...you might do better just taking it day by day, because your baby is going to change every day...and i don't think babies have sleep issues...they are doing what they are hardwired to do...which, unfortunatly for us very very tired mamas (i woke up at 5 am today: after a wiggly night!)isn't always sleeping at the same time we do...
anyway, if the book is working for you, then go for it! but if its not, don't think its because you aren't doing it right, yk? i think that just makes whatever problems you are having worse...
plus i just found that book to be to much about log keeping...you are already sleep deprived,right?why waste more time you could be sleeping on writing down stuff about your babies sleep pattern.
from my limited experience with my little sister, my baby and what my girlfriends babies have done, this is the rule: as soon as you got baby figured out...they change on ya again...sneaky little buggers .
anyway...i really hope you all are getting rest...nothing is worse then mamahood on an empty tank!
Call it what you will... if it helps, I'll be grateful. I'm so tired, and I know I am one of many mamas who just don't function well on no sleep. I'll be a better mama for her if we can start having a few long stretches of sleep at night.

Regarding the logs, I don't personally do them, but that is why I wanted a thread... a more casual way to keep up with progress. But even if you do do them, you're only supposed to do it every ten days, which doesn't seem too big a deal. If you want to.

Of course you have to take it and adapt it to fit your own child because every child is different... I think that goes without saying, personally.
prettypixels is offline  
#18 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
prettypixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've had a few successes... one nap this week for TWO HOURS where she did not wake up wanting to eat at all, or need any help. Just slept, for two blessed hours.

But only one nap.

The night before last she slept for *four* hours from 2am to 6am which is like a miracle... but we earned it the hard way with a solid hour of wide awake, crying, fussing baby from 1-2am. I still don't know why she was crying... we offered bottle, nursing, cuddling, hugging... she was just upset. I guess it tired her out! I am hoping for some more 4 hour stretches MINUS the crying for an hour... yikes!

One thing I've noticed since I both bottlenurse and nurse at the breast is that it is much easier to do the PPO with the bottle... it's harder to get her to let go of the breast and she needs to be a little closer to *totally asleep* for me to do that. I know that doesn't help much... but for you mamas working on that maybe just starting a little further down the sleep scale might help.
prettypixels is offline  
#19 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
prettypixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW for those mamas whose babies wake hourly or every two hours... when your baby wakes are they just kind of nursing for comfort back to sleep or are they actually eating? I have the (dis)advantage of seeing how much my baby is eating at night... she is taking in about 18 oz overnight! So she really is hungry. I think our success hinges on getting her to eat more during the day, vs. all night long. Any thoughts?
prettypixels is offline  
#20 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 12:48 PM
 
bellymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: humboldt california
Posts: 2,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Call it what you will... if it helps, I'll be grateful. I'm so tired, and I know I am one of many mamas who just don't function well on no sleep. I'll be a better mama for her if we can start having a few long stretches of sleep at night.

Regarding the logs, I don't personally do them, but that is why I wanted a thread... a more casual way to keep up with progress. But even if you do do them, you're only supposed to do it every ten days, which doesn't seem too big a deal. If you want to.

Of course you have to take it and adapt it to fit your own child because every child is different... I think that goes without saying, personally.
i hope i didn't offend, i just wanted to share my experiences...like i said in my post, whatever works for you...go for it!!! i have just seen a lot of posts where women have read this book, or others and it isn't working and they are feeling even worse than before...i hope it works for you, because you definitely need your sleep! good luck!
a great book i read that changed a lot of my feelings on family bed and nighttime parenting was "three in a bed" by deborah jackson...loved it. not really a how to get baby to sleep book, but just a great insightful book. it made me feel so much better about a lot of things!
i wish all of you mama's the best of luck!!!!
again, i apologize if i sounded judgmental...so not my intention AT ALL!!!
bellymama is offline  
#21 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 12:57 PM
 
rzberrymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellymama View Post
i read it when ds was a tiny newborn. i like the fact that its a book that doesn't advocate cio and that it somewhat encourages co-sleeping (although the ridiculous chapter on making your bed safe seemed like overkill...duuuuuh...) but i'll be honest, i just think any book that tells you how to raise your kid is faulty, because your kid just isn't going to fit the description...yk? and then i think mama's go crazy because they are like, i followed all the directions and my dc is still not doing it...and then you get even more obsessed with whatever aspect of childrearing that particular book focused on, in this case, sleep training...yes, i said it. i think the pantley theory is gentle sleep training, but sleep training nonetheless....
imho...you might do better just taking it day by day, because your baby is going to change every day...and i don't think babies have sleep issues...they are doing what they are hardwired to do...which, unfortunatly for us very very tired mamas (i woke up at 5 am today: after a wiggly night!)isn't always sleeping at the same time we do...
anyway, if the book is working for you, then go for it! but if its not, don't think its because you aren't doing it right, yk? i think that just makes whatever problems you are having worse...
plus i just found that book to be to much about log keeping...you are already sleep deprived,right?why waste more time you could be sleeping on writing down stuff about your babies sleep pattern.
from my limited experience with my little sister, my baby and what my girlfriends babies have done, this is the rule: as soon as you got baby figured out...they change on ya again...sneaky little buggers .
anyway...i really hope you all are getting rest...nothing is worse then mamahood on an empty tank!
bellymama, I had the EXACT same experience as you did with the book.
rzberrymom is offline  
#22 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 01:50 PM
 
earthgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's probably best to just do a time line of sorts.

5:30 Start bedtime routine, which goes quite well
6:15 In rocking chair nursing, which is our last "step"
6:35 DD is OUT!
7:20 DD is awake. (This is typical and up until recently has been our biggest sleep issue. She has to be put back to sleep 2-3 times before she settles well for the night.) I go in and get her back to sleep pretty quickly.
7:35 DD is awake. I go in and get her back to sleep again.
8:15 DD is awake. DH goes in and gets her back to sleep pretty quickly.
8:30 DD is awake. DH goes in, this time for 30 minutes.
9:00 DD is sleeping.
9:10 Our neighbor starts yelling for their dog, DD is awake. I get frustrated and decide I'll just go to bed b/c I'm tired of messing w/ it. I go in and nurse, rock, etc.
9:55 DD is FINALLY asleep.
10:15 I think "Wow. She really is so sweet", and gently stroke her little forehead. BAD IDEA! DD is awake. We nurse, cuddle, etc.
10:30 DD decides to do a little Jr. Rockettes performance. She's in love w/ herself and applauds wildly. It was so good, she decides we need to see a few encore performances.
10:55 DD is STILL awake. I move myself at an angle so she can't roll off the bed and decide I'm going to sleep. DH is already in Z town. :
11:50 I wake up and realize DD has somehow managed to fall asleep.
2:25 I hear a noise outside and wake up DH to see what it is. There is a guy next door on top of a trash can peeking in our neighbors' window. He calls 911. DD wakes up. We cuddle and nurse while I'm a teeny bit terrified.
3:30 DD is asleep.
5:30 DD is up for the day as if she's had the best nights sleep of her life!

Please tell me it's going to get better.

Oh and the house next door was not being robbed.
earthgirl is offline  
#23 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 02:15 PM
 
timneh_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Somewhere between awake and asleep
Posts: 4,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reluctantly, I pulled out my copy of this book again and took a look at it last night. This was after DD woke up a 100,000 times before she actually went "down" for the night at around 11:45! :

Anyway I think she is chronically sleep deprived. I did find today that around 45 min into her nap she wants to wake up (coming up into lighter sleep = vulnerable to waking). I made sure I was in bed with her at that point and got her back to sleep, now we are at about 1 1/2 hours of napping. Supposedly she will learn to not wake by herself after about a week of me helping (yeah, we'll see). I am going to put her to bed WAY early tonight and see what happens. Both our kids need to be in bed LONG before they are (*I* need to be in bed *LONG* before they are!!!) so maybe we can get to an earlier bedtime soon. I would happily get up early but NOT if they are not sleeping until 11 pm!!!

She also thinks she is up for the day around 5:30 or 6 am, even though she JUST went to sleep around 12 am... :

Earthgirl, I sure hope, for both our sakes, that it gets better. She is, seriously, making me NOT want more kids. I can't handle this a third time!!!

Oh, and I'm thinking she might have a bit of reflux, along with the teething. I'm going to try a few things that I haven't tried before and see what happens.
timneh_mom is offline  
#24 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 04:38 PM
 
nylecoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It might be sleep training, bellymama, but after having dd, I do believe that some kids need to be trained on how to sleep. She's wired in all the time and is chronically overtired. She needs to be trained on how to relax and unwind so that she can fall asleep comfortably, and while I don't think any book has all the answers I do think some guidelines really help. Having a sleep journal was a way for dh and I to see that dd was really sleep deprived.

Question for the rest of you. If your child is mobile and nap in their crib, what do you do to anticipate their needs and help them go right back to sleep during naptime.

We're still doing what we can while out of town and I've noticed that her body is more attuned to napping at specific times instead of 20-30 min cat naps all day. (Or, a chronically cranky baby - that's what really started this whole thing)
nylecoj is offline  
#25 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
prettypixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
It's probably best to just do a time line of sorts.

5:30 Start bedtime routine, which goes quite well
6:15 In rocking chair nursing, which is our last "step"
6:35 DD is OUT!
7:20 DD is awake. (This is typical and up until recently has been our biggest sleep issue. She has to be put back to sleep 2-3 times before she settles well for the night.) I go in and get her back to sleep pretty quickly.
7:35 DD is awake. I go in and get her back to sleep again.
8:15 DD is awake. DH goes in and gets her back to sleep pretty quickly.
8:30 DD is awake. DH goes in, this time for 30 minutes.
9:00 DD is sleeping.
9:10 Our neighbor starts yelling for their dog, DD is awake. I get frustrated and decide I'll just go to bed b/c I'm tired of messing w/ it. I go in and nurse, rock, etc.
9:55 DD is FINALLY asleep.
10:15 I think "Wow. She really is so sweet", and gently stroke her little forehead. BAD IDEA! DD is awake. We nurse, cuddle, etc.
10:30 DD decides to do a little Jr. Rockettes performance. She's in love w/ herself and applauds wildly. It was so good, she decides we need to see a few encore performances.
10:55 DD is STILL awake. I move myself at an angle so she can't roll off the bed and decide I'm going to sleep. DH is already in Z town. :
11:50 I wake up and realize DD has somehow managed to fall asleep.
2:25 I hear a noise outside and wake up DH to see what it is. There is a guy next door on top of a trash can peeking in our neighbors' window. He calls 911. DD wakes up. We cuddle and nurse while I'm a teeny bit terrified.
3:30 DD is asleep.
5:30 DD is up for the day as if she's had the best nights sleep of her life!

Please tell me it's going to get better.

Oh and the house next door was not being robbed.
: that's a rough night!

Last night was the first in three that I didn't have a wide awake baby in the middle of the night for a solid hour... so I guess that's good... but she was up just about every hour again. I feel like I take one step forward and ten back. Which is why I started this thread, because I surely do need some support and hope that it is going to get better!
prettypixels is offline  
#26 of 473 Old 07-21-2007, 09:29 PM
 
rachellanigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylecoj View Post
SUMMARY:
Wake up 6:30-ish
1st nap: 8:30-9:15
Rock/hold: 9:15-9:45
Sleep: 9:45-10:20

Repeat those steps between 1:00 and 3:00 pm.

Bedtime routine starts around 6:30 generally.
Read, rock, nurse, rock until 7 or 8 depending on the night.
You were saying that she's not staying down for her first nap...could you try to postpone the first nap by 15 mins and see what happens? I think I remember Pantley talking about that. Good luck! I hope my baby is a good sleeper. (As good as my first!)
rachellanigh is offline  
#27 of 473 Old 07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
 
nylecoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachellanigh View Post
You were saying that she's not staying down for her first nap...could you try to postpone the first nap by 15 mins and see what happens? I think I remember Pantley talking about that. Good luck! I hope my baby is a good sleeper. (As good as my first!)
Hmm. I have tried that, but never consistently because usually it just devolves into her becoming more tired and more cranky.

Trip to San Diego was HARD, but somehow manageable.
nylecoj is offline  
#28 of 473 Old 07-23-2007, 12:29 PM
 
spedel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Subbing. Might be needing this soon...
spedel is offline  
#29 of 473 Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
 
timneh_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Somewhere between awake and asleep
Posts: 4,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CRAP!! Had a whole thing typed out and Firefox crashed! BAD!!!

Anyway I think getting her to bed EARLY and making sure each nap is at LEAST an hour long is helping... she was up for a while at 10:30 last night thinking it was time to get up but after some dancing and rocking and nursing, we got her back down again. If she wakes up from a nap and it hasn't been an hour, I get her back down and she usually sleeps another good chunk of time. Last night she went to bed at 7:30!! (Usually it's been 11:30!!) But, don't start celebrating yet... I still didn't get to bed til midnight because she woke up right before I started getting ready for bed and it took a long time to get her back down. She woke to nurse every 2-3 hours all night but at least went back to sleep afterwards. She was up for the day around 7-8 am.

I've been trying really hard to get DS to bed earlier too.

I love DH but he gets home from work late (sometimes not til almost 7 pm!) but the kids NEED earlier bedtimes... so, I'm sorry DH... if baby is in the tub when you get home, that's life... I just don't have the steam to plow through the days here alone (sometimes for 11 hours!) when they aren't sleeping til 11 or 11:30...
timneh_mom is offline  
#30 of 473 Old 07-23-2007, 02:01 PM
 
earthgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find it interesting how many of us have LOs that take short naps. Anyone had any luck getting your babe to nap longer using any of Pantley's methods? The nursing them back to sleep thing hardly ever works for me. I'd say on average it might work about 2x a week and I've been trying it for a LONG time!
earthgirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off