Bedtime Battle with 2 Year Old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have entered a new phase with our 2 year old and I am looking for help. Since she was 9 months old, Kaedyn has started the night in her crib. At first waking, we nurse and she joins the family bed. The bedtime routine has been set for a long time and used to end with our rocking her to sleep.

In the past few weeks she refuses to be rocked, wants to be in her crib, but then plays and refuses to fall asleep. She consistently says, "No pat bum" in response to my efforts to help her calm down and fall asleep. Her Dad or I stay in the room with her, trying to help her .... She wants out, she wants back in, she wants to read, she wants to dance, .... all very cute for the first couple of minutes. She seems to wind herself up and it takes over an hour for her to go to sleep. :

Now her nap time at daycare is a different story. She puts herself to sleep in minutes.

HELP!!!!
#2 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 PM

Have you tried nursing her down in the family bed?

-Angela
#3 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Angela
Thank you for the suggestion. I do nurse her in the rocking chair and have tried nursing her in our bed as well (although not consistently). She seems to calm down for the nursing but then when she is done, she returns to the "play" mindset.
#4 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 01:33 AM

It sounds like she's feeding off of you staying with her in her room. What happens if you leave? If she just plays happily in her crib, I'd be tempted to ignore it, and let her work out her own way of falling asleep. She's clearly capable, since she does it at daycare. If she cries if you leave, I'd stay in there with her, but be as boring as is humanly possible. When she asks to get out or in or whatever, I'd remind her that it's bedtime, and time to go to sleep.
#5 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 AM

Could it be possible she doesn't need as much sleep time as she's getting?
#6 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Aliviclo - I think you are right, she is feeding off the interaction. Last night my husband tried two things - after putting her in bed, he moved farther away. We typically sit next to her crib in a rocking chair - last night he moved the chair and noticed a decrease in her playing. He also attempted to leave the room but that resulted in tears so he abandoned that approach. Tonight I plan to try the same and to focus on limiting my interaction with her after we say good night. Wish me luck!!

Hypatia - I don't think she is getting too much sleep but I will keep that possibility in mind. Our day starts pretty early (7a wake up time for Kaedyn) and the last few weeks I've had to wake her up when in the past she used to wake ME up!

Thanks again for the great suggestions!
#7 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 02:11 PM

It sounds like you're on the right track. You can also try gradually disengaging with her as she relaxes. Scoot gradually further away, look off in the distance, stay quiet, and respond to any talking with "It's sleeping time, and I'm closing my eyes because I'm tired. Good night." One thing I would recommend trying, based on my experience with my daughter, is at some point when she's nearly asleep, whisper "Good night," and walk out. That way she won't freak if she wakes up and you're not there -- she'll know you're leaving, but be too tired to care. Good luck!
#8 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Aliviclo - thank you! I especially like your last tip to avoid the "freak out"!
#9 of 9 Old 08-05-2007, 12:22 AM

Some great suggestions... we've been having some sleepytime struggles with our 2yo DS1, too. He's in a twin bed, though, not a crib, and either climbs out after saying he wants to "lay down" or does something else to wind himself back up.

love.gif my lads whistling.gif(6/2005) &kid.gif (3/2007) *and* lasses hearts.gif(1/2009) & flower.gif (7/2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page