anyone have a tempurpedic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2007, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH really wants a tempurpedic when we get a new bed - I am just afraid that it will be unsafe to cosleep in - cuz we do plan on having atleast one more babe......

anyone have one? have you used it with a newborn or young infant? any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 07:25 PM

Yes I have one. We got it when DD was about 6 months old. We haven't had any problems co-sleeping on it, but I don't know how a newborn would do. I might be a little nervous about it. On our old mattress she would sometimes roll toward Dh because of the slope his weight created in the mattress. The tempurpedic makes that slope less. One thing I didn't realize before we got it is how much heat they keep in. I do ok, but both DH and DD get pretty sweaty. They also come smelling pretty bad (chemically). The smell eventually goes away but you can make it go faster by venting the room, adding a fan, and running all over mattress with socks on (fun for the whole family). We got a really good deal on ours, but at the retail price I would say they aren't worth it.

: 10/06 : 10/09
Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 PM

We have the generic Temprupedic. I think they are basically the same mattress, though. We have cosleeped from the beginning. It has been no problem at all. I think it helps that it's a king size so there is lots of room for the three of us. I haven't been nervous in the least bit with it. I love how it sleeps...so comfortable!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've slept on my parents' tempurpedic with DS and it seems to me that there is actually less chance of the baby rolling towards me with this type of mattress. I think that's one of their selling points - you can toss and turn and the person sleeping next to you isn't disturbed. I agree with the pp about the heat thing - they are pretty warm. Also, I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but DS sleeps so well on my parents' tempurpedic. I don't know if it's the comfort or possibly lingering fumes from the mattress
Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 PM

We have a tempurpedic and used it with newborns to toddler twice. It is more spacious than a reg. queen b/c it's so flat, you can go right up to the edge. As far as the baby breathing, I think it's safer. BUT I did not know about how they offgas when I bought mine 5 years ago. If I had to do it over again. I would buy a natural latex mattress wrapped in organic cotton. Otherwise you're going to have offgassing. But I don't think Tempurpedic is worse for that than Sealy or Serta or whatever, and it's WAY more comfortable!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlec View Post
We have a tempurpedic and used it with newborns to toddler twice. It is more spacious than a reg. queen b/c it's so flat, you can go right up to the edge. As far as the baby breathing, I think it's safer. BUT I did not know about how they offgas when I bought mine 5 years ago. If I had to do it over again. I would buy a natural latex mattress wrapped in organic cotton. Otherwise you're going to have offgassing. But I don't think Tempurpedic is worse for that than Sealy or Serta or whatever, and it's WAY more comfortable!
My mom had some problems with the off-gassing...I think you can buy covers for them though.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bamama View Post
I've slept on my parents' tempurpedic with DS and it seems to me that there is actually less chance of the baby rolling towards me with this type of mattress. I think that's one of their selling points - you can toss and turn and the person sleeping next to you isn't disturbed.
I agree!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 PM

We have one and have had two babies since getting the mattress. It is super safe to co-sleep on.

And that's the last positive thing I'll say about the mattress. I hate, hate, hate, hate our mattress. Hate it! Dh is in lurve with the mattress. It's uncomfortable for me to sleep on and gives me horrible back aches. I sleep on the other regular bed.

Before we first bought the mattress it was something dh really wanted and I was meh on what kind to get.

I realize I am in the minority.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 PM

We have been thinking about getting one we stayed at a hotel last week that had them and we all slept sooo good me,hubby, 2 year old and 2 month old although the 2 month old was in the co sleeper some of the time and it did feel alot bigger the our king at home.

But I am worried about the chemicals in it so I need to be checking that out.

Amanda
Old 08-15-2007, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Aside from my parents having a temperpedic, we HAD one too, but it was time to upgrade from a queen to a king, so we had to decide if we would buy it again in the bigger size or get an organic rubber mattress. After much debate, we settled on the organic mattress because although the temperpedic is amazingly comfortable and we did love it, we decided that we wanted it to be organic because we're sleeping with our noses right against it and our DC would be too. Not to mention it's something we sleep (or lay on) for 8 or more hours a night, so we felt it was important that we weren't getting gassed for a third of our day. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:51 PM

timely thread, we're getting one Sunday, it's coming with some sort of cover so hopefully off-gassing won't be an issue. We decided we HAD to have one after staying at a hotel that had them--none of us had ever slept so well in our lives! It was amazing. Plus we're getting a king after having a queen, I can't wait-even though it will probably fill our entire small bedroom-- as DS is getting kind of big and kicky.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 AM

i have a knock off and it is on the floor (no box spring). we got it years ago so hopefully all the off-gassing is done (though if i had to do it over again, knowing what i know now and being a lot more crunchy these days, i would look at an all natural rubber mattress). i think it is a great co-sleeping mattress and no worries about rolling off (and i have it shoved in a corner and we sleep back in that corner)

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:26 AM

We have the Classic Tempurpedic and dh, dd, and I love it. It's way safer to co-sleep on IMO because the baby doesn't move at all when we roll around.

I love it.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:56 AM

I love ours, cannot imagine co-sleeping on anything else. If I nurse lying on my side all night long on anything else my hips and shoulders hurt like crazy in the morning.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlec View Post
If I had to do it over again. I would buy a natural latex mattress wrapped in organic cotton. Otherwise you're going to have offgassing.
i agree.

we bought a queen three years ago and it is comfortable, but i am very concerned about the offgassing, and i would be even with a cover.

oh, and i would definitely buy a king bed. the queen is getting to be too small for our little steamroller.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:21 AM

I briefly considered a tempurpedic bed a few weeks ago when I was shopping for a new mattress, but then I did some research on offgassing, and decided to go with a fully organic bed. It ended up being a bit more expensive, but I laid down on one with DS and it was extremely comfy, so that is what we went with.

I do like the comfort of a tempurpedic, but I just couldn't stop worrying about offgassing.

I can't wait to get my new mattress though!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

User Tag List