Co Sleeping in the Hospital - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any tips for safe cosleeping? I feel safe in my specially setup bed at home but those hospital beds are kind of scarey.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelasmommy View Post
I had my first baby in the hospital, and as much as I disliked the hospital experience, they were extremely supportive of breastfeeding, and they actually encouraged us to sleep with the baby while we were there. Both my dds have had trouble maintaining a high enough body temp for the first 12-15 hours, so that may have been part of the reason it was encouraged though. I got a formula sample bag, but the hospital added nursing pads, lansinoh, and a mini version of the nursing mother's companion to the contents. After the birth experience, I was pretty surprised they were so AP.
This made me remember that my hospital gave me a formula company bag, too, but there was not formula in it. They took out the formula and filled it with stuff I could actually use, like lansinoh and nursing pads and a coupon for the best local place to carry nursing bras, and a LLL flier, and storage bags for breastmilk. It was cute, too. Our hospital didn't allow formula to be given out at all, though.

We coslept in the hospital (insomuch as you could call it sleeping) for the first night, but then he was on the biliblanket so we would fall asleep together but then the nurse would come in and put him in the bassinet so she could unwrap him and expose him to lights on top, too.

Older children are not currently allowed to spend the night in the hospital BUT there are no visiting hours so they won't actually kick them out. It's sort of like "as long as you keep your kids out of our way, we won't say anything."
Old 08-19-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
Yes {with all 3}.

ditto that
Old 08-19-2007, 09:15 PM

Didn't ask, but since they wanted to take Ben to the "nursery for a couple of hours" to regulate his body temperature and measure him : , I assume they wouldn't be all for it.

However, just like I smiled and politely declined for them to take him, and instead send a nurse to our room so Ben wouldn't leave our sides, I also coslept with him when I felt comfy, and if I needed to put him in the bassinet because I was worried that he would fall after I finally took a Vicodin from pain, then I did. Basically, they just left us alone after we were so sweetly staunch about our views. I think they were a combination of pissed and scared. :

However, when he was in the ICU at 3 weeks old for RSV, they did feel strongly about us not cosleeping, and since he was all hooked up and monitored to the extreme, I didn't want to mess with making sure he got the care he needed without getting in the way, so I slept in the bed, him in the bassinet all swaddled up with my hand on him all night.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 PM

I co-slept the whole time with DD#2 - I was not as confident w/ #1 and worried about hurting her. I just refused all post-delivery examinations (for myself) and asked not to be bugged. I told them I would let them know if I had any concerns and to leave it at that (I was told I had to stay at least 24 hrs b/c I was GBS + and hadn't received a full dose of abx during delivery). Anyways, the nurses were great and the only comments I had were positive.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:02 PM

ds was born in a hospital. the recovery rooms have double beds. we coslept with ds inbetween dh and me. no one gave us any attitude about cosleeping. there was a bassinet in the room but we didn't use it.

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Yes. In fact, at one point when the nurse needed to let us know something, she snuck in and left a note *on* the baby cuddled up next to me (so I'd be sure to see it when I woke up! )
Old 08-20-2007, 12:25 AM

I had my first in the hospital before I knew any better and they didn't like that I wanted her in my bed, but I didn't let them take her and I wouldn't put her into the baby cot. The nurses were not pleased with me.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 AM

Yes, we co slept. And no one ever said a peep about it.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my 3rd baby the nurses themselves actually told me to co-sleep! I had her at about 10 pm by c-section and because she was a month early (I had pre-eclampsia) she was a bit grunty with her breathing. They swaddled her up and laid her in bed with me and said, "Mom, it would probably be best if she sleep with you because after a c-section you won't be able to jump easily if she is having any troubles breathing." I was flabbergasted! It was a very baby-friendly hospital though. They also rigged up a temporary supplemental nursing system for me in the middle of the night when I was waiting for my husband to bring mine (I am breastfeeding after reduction surgery).

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 AM

Aww, Heavenly, that's wonderful!

I slept/snoozed with dd on my chest most of the time. Nobody said anything about it to me. Oddly, most of the pictures show her in the plastic "casserole" thing, and me eating a sub.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:46 AM

yup...i was encouraged to.
i heart my birth center and the nurses there.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 AM

DD slept right next to me on the hospital bed, no issues. I think with DS they told me I couldn't have him in bed with me if I was asleep, but DH was there and between the two of us we held him the entire time, I wake up easy so if a nurse came in I was awake anyway really.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 AM

yep!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 AM

Yup, I co-slept with my dd in my hospital bed after her birth. Our first nursing session was lying down. I love lying down and nursing!! (cause I can sleep!)
Old 08-20-2007, 03:21 AM

They never said no cosleeping but the nurse would put dd in the bassinette if i was asleep when she came in
Old 08-20-2007, 03:44 AM

I work at a birth center and we have a no cosleeping policy. Just last week, a mom fell asleep and dropped her baby to the floor. This doesn't happen often, but when it does it's a pretty big deal. We've also had one baby smother. I tell my moms that co-sleeping at home is great, but not here. The beds are too small and too high off the ground.

If I walk into a patient room and the mom who has fallen asleep with her baby pops awake as I enter, I leave her alone. On the other hand, if I need to say her name repeatedly and shake her awake, I insist the baby go to the crib. I've entered rooms and found mothers sleeping soundly while holding their screaming baby. Not everyone is in-tune with their babies at first.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:47 AM

Just saw this and thought I would pop in and say hello. Here in city in CA we have the same thing... no co-sleeping in the hospital.... I did, but like you said, when the door moved at all, I was awake as could be, very intune...kwim?

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live~Laugh~Love View Post
Just saw this and thought I would pop in and say hello. Here in city in CA we have the same thing... no co-sleeping in the hospital.... I did, but like you said, when the door moved at all, I was awake as could be, very intune...kwim?
I dont know how some people *slept* after birth, even on painkillers and barely any sleep i couldnt do more than tiny cat naps and any time i heard the door touched or the curtain moved i was awake, and of course, at night, they just bust in and turn the bright lights on going "testing!". I didnt even nap the first night after birth until 5.30am....... and even then it was for 20mins, then i watched the clock until 6am so i could order breakfast
Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 AM

I coslept in the hospital. When they asked to take her I just said "no thanks." It was never a problem.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSerene View Post
If I walk into a patient room and the mom who has fallen asleep with her baby pops awake as I enter, I leave her alone. On the other hand, if I need to say her name repeatedly and shake her awake, I insist the baby go to the crib. I've entered rooms and found mothers sleeping soundly while holding their screaming baby. Not everyone is in-tune with their babies at first.
This seems pretty appropriate .. if I wasn't waking up easily to someone TRYING to wake me, I'd wonder how safe my baby was in those narrow beds too.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Yup!! I had my own super big nice room, and got to labor (though I didn't birth, out of choice, I was just WAY to hot by the time the time came, in a tub. Then, they wheeled out the hospital bed that I gave birth on and pulled this super comfy, queen-size bed out of the wall!! It was AWESOME! DH, me and baby all slept on it for... 2 or 3 nights, twas wonderful!!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM

I co-slept in the hospital. I made a nest of pillows around us so that he was safe and wouldn't fall out of the bed.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:10 PM

I coslept with all five of my babies in the hospital baby #1 I was so exhausted and a single mommy I just had to sleep with him in my bed I was too exhausted to put him back, the nurses knew, she just put pillows up against my rails so he wouldn't fall out

Baby #2 was preemie, but once the nicu released him to peds we coslept

baby #3 stayed one night and coslept I don't even think the nurses came in the room

Baby #4 we coslept, then when we were readmitted to peds for phototherapy I slept in a chair with my hands on her, then once she was off the phototherapy she slept in my reclining chair with me (I don't know why they didn't get me a bed, but I had a reclining chair to sleep in for the 5 days she was there)

Baby #5 spent the first night in the nursery because he had an awful birth and needed ressusitation, but our second night we coslept and the nurses never said anything about it
Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 AM

Technically it was NOT allowed. But, yes, I did it anyway. When I got busted I got up, put the baby in the bassinet and waited for the nurse to leave again so I could bring her right back into the bed with me. I will say I am a very light sleeper and I am almost always fully awake before the baby. With both my kids I felt like I could read their sleep-stirs in my own sleep and always wake just before they were ready to nurse. That is truly a beautiful thing about co-sleeping - the baby wakes and never needs to cry to call you. You are already there and often already awake! My daughter is so funny lately when she wakes in the morning if I have my back to her she sits up in bed and says very loudly "excuse me" and pats me on the back. I am usually laying there awake already but it is funny to wait and see what she will do
Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 AM

I co-slept with DS in the hospital and no one said anything about it to me.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 AM

I had my first child in the hospital. She slept in my arms the whole time. The only time she was in the bassinet was for diaper changes and when I'd walk with her (I couldn't carry her because I was took weak from the surgery).

Some of the nurses didn't like it but no one made a big deal out of it. Just told me to be careful.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 AM

1st baby: Wasn't a problem, although DH did remind me not too long ago that they did ask me to sign a form indicating that I had been informed that it was a risk or a hazard or something. I have no idea and barely even remember signing the form. Do, however, remember drifting off to sleep next to my snuggly baby every night that we were there.

2nd baby: No problem. None of the staff even lifted an eyebrow.

3rd baby: Same as 2nd baby.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 AM

I was only there a few hours, and yes, I did. I'm the customer, I'm paying them, they would've had to call the police to take my babies out of my bed. Really.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM

I slept with both of my babies, even though the hospital beds are made so you almost can't do it. Big metal bars with wide gaps, too narrow.... DH put blankets and pillows against the edge, and then DD and I squeezed into the other side. What are they thinking in a maternity ward!!???:

I'd love to see this as a poll. It would make more sense. ie Yes, No, Wanted to but bed was too narrow....

User Tag List