Co Sleeping in the Hospital - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 146 Old 08-29-2007, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, guessing from this scenario I suppose it wasn't "allowed" - DH and I were both wide awake, and holding DS, and a nurse came in and saw the empty plastic box and yelled "WHERE'S THE BABY!" Umm, in our arms, where he should be...?! And this when we were both awake. I hadn't given much serious thought to co-sleeping prior to the birth, but nothing else seemed right once he was here. He slept with either DH or I. The nurses came in and looked disapprovingly now and then but we always woke up a little by the time they got in the door so I don't think they were ever sure if we were sleeping with him or not. Boy, what restful nights those were...

The funniest part is that this same nurse, after realizing we were in control of where baby was going to lay, seemed to transfer her intensity to the plastic suction bulb. I put it within reach on the bedside table, and every single time she came in the room she would put it in the bassinet. "This goes here. We need to be able to find it." It was infuriating and hilarious at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 146 Old 08-29-2007, 03:34 PM

With my DS, he definitely napped on me, but I stayed awake. I "asked permission" to co-sleep and was told no, and stupid me listened. He did room in with me, except when he was receiving phototherapy, but they brought him to me every 3 hours to nurse.
#123 of 146 Old 09-04-2007, 05:01 PM

I was allowed to sleep with my DD and was in fact encouraged to by the lactation nurse and it was never a problem with other nurses & the ped doc. I ended up having a c-section after a difficult (and very long) labor, and couldn't get up if the baby cried from her salad bowl. It actually never occured to me to sleep with her but the lactation nurse showed me how to nurse lying down and that just felt right to me!

Lisa mom to Gillian (7) : and three : :
#124 of 146 Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 PM

I coslept with both of mine in the hospital. It was actually encouraged . One of the nurses showed me how to stuff a pillow into the bedrail to make it safe.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#125 of 146 Old 09-04-2007, 05:20 PM

We didn't. We left the hospital 8 hrs after DS was born, so no problems!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#126 of 146 Old 09-05-2007, 02:53 AM

Yep. they didn't bug us at all, but then again we only stayed one night. I wasn't going to put my baby in that salad bin bassinette!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#127 of 146 Old 09-05-2007, 12:35 PM

We coslept in the hospital. DS got sick at 2mo too and had to be in the hospital for 2-3 days. We coslept then too. Every morning the doctor would come in to find us and start telling me about the dangers of SIDS if baby slept with me. I just smiled and nodded my head to him until he left the room. When he came back later we'd still be there. Ha ha. They didn't give us a hard time about it though. Heck my baby was sick and wanted mommy. I wasn't going to let the doctors worries take away my baby's comfort.
#128 of 146 Old 09-06-2007, 12:19 PM

I was actually encouraged to cosleep by the nurse on duty the first night. She told me it would be perfectly fine if dd slept in my bed and that way I could learn to nurse side-lying.
#129 of 146 Old 09-07-2007, 02:03 AM

Gosh, with the nurses coming in every 15 mins to check "vitals", who said anything about sleep!!! But seriously, there would have been no problem if I did. But I was more comfortable with baby in the bassinet next to me as those hospital beds are sooooooo narrow. But then again I'm not a co-sleeper at home anyway. I think you should go for it though especially because with a hospital birth you have to be firm that it's your baby!!!

caffix.gif

#130 of 146 Old 09-07-2007, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I co-slept with all three of my children in the hospital. The beds suck, but I padded the rails with pillows to keep babe secure.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#131 of 146 Old 09-07-2007, 02:28 PM

I kept thinking someone would comment about our cosleeping in the hospital but no one did!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#132 of 146 Old 09-08-2007, 04:48 PM

We co-slept and had no issues, the nurses would walk in and say is he ok? I was like yup he is nice and warm next to mama..
#133 of 146 Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM

Our first baby in '97 the nurse scolded mu dh for dozing w/ ds in arms. The other 4 were born in 2 different hospitals and I was encouraged to sleep/hold/nurse as much as I wanted!
#134 of 146 Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 PM

The first night DS slept in the plastic thing because I worried that he would fall out of bed but they took him out while I waas half asleep saying he needed his check-up and then fed him formula and put him in a warming bed all without my permission. After that he slept next to me and didn't leave my sight. Don't trust them for a second!
#135 of 146 Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibusunny View Post
For those who had a hospital birth, were you allowed to co-sleep?
I didn't ask permission I just did. The nurses didn't say anything about it either. Co-sleeping was DD cradled in my arm next to me.
#136 of 146 Old 09-08-2007, 11:35 PM

with ds i held him all night... i may have slept about 30 min total. It's nearly impossible to sleep when people keep bringing ice packs to put between your legs. brrrrr!!!
#137 of 146 Old 09-08-2007, 11:39 PM

Most of the nurses were very rude to me regarding co-sleeping. As DD was my third child, I was very comfortable with cosleeping and went ahead and slept with her anyway. What were they going to do? Kick me out of the hospital?

mom to DS 7, DS 5 and DD 3 :
#138 of 146 Old 09-08-2007, 11:41 PM

Baby number four was a hospital birth and never left my bed. No one batted an eye.
#139 of 146 Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 PM

I have coslept with all three of my newborns in the hospital. I also had to be hospitalized for 4 days when ds2 was 8 months. I was able to keep him with me and coslept then also. I have never had a problem or negative comment by a nurse.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#140 of 146 Old 09-09-2007, 01:44 PM

The first night I had DS in the bassinet because I was afraid he would fall out of the hospital bed. A nurse came when I was half asleep and said DS needed his routine check-up. I said ok and she was supposed to bring him right back. I woke up 45 minutes later with no baby and called the nurse. They said he would be back in a few minutes. I called again after about 15 minutes and they said he got a little cold and they were warming him up. I called again and they said his blood sugar was a little low so they had to give him formula. At this point I was in tears and freaking out and told tem to bring me my baby right now!! He slept in the bed with me the next two nights and the nurses didn't say a thing after I gave everyone that came to see me hell the next morning. I didn't let him leave my sight again. Next time things will be very different. I dont even want to go to a hospital next time but DH doesn't like that idea. I dont trust hospitals and nurses. Oops, thought it didn't post lastt time! Sorry
#141 of 146 Old 09-09-2007, 02:06 PM

With my first I did not even try. But I had enough trouble recovering from labor and he slept the whole time in the baby crib next to me. With my second I did. I never asked and no one said a word. Our hospital is pretty good about encouraging natural birth, baby with you the entire time, breastfeeding etc. They never came in for vitals in the night, once everything was fine after the birth.
#142 of 146 Old 09-09-2007, 05:26 PM

See if the hospital has a pull-out couch in the room. Ours did, so DH, DD, and I slept in that, at the urging of a very nice older German nurse (I think culture had something to do with it). It was bigger and lower to the ground than the bed. I did worry about some of the other nurses "catching" us, so we mostly did this at night. During the day, I was awake with DD asleep next to me, and I don't recall anyone saying anything. This was after I got over the "What do I do now" feeling, and figured out she didn't have to stay in that plastic box!
#143 of 146 Old 09-09-2007, 11:24 PM

We certainly co-slept in the hospital. The baby and I shared my hospital bed, and my then-21-month-old and husband shared the recliner!

Nurses were in and out, and no one said anything to us. I never even considered that someone might.
#144 of 146 Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 PM

The hospital I was in with dc #1 had rooms with double beds so that you could sleep with your spouse and baby. They did have those rolling baby lasagna pan thingys as well, but, the air conditioner was broke...stay on and froze us out, broke...and they didn't have any rooms left, so they asked us to sleep with our baby. Can you imagine that doesn't happen too often?!
Now, that was the only good thing that happened at that hospital.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#145 of 146 Old 09-10-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
My DD was a hospital birth and yes, we were allowed to co-sleep. My husband was given a bed in the same room and we were both "alowed" to sleep with DD if we wanted. She spent most of the time in bed with me (DH bed was pushed right up against mine) but he did take her into his bed a few times after I fell asleep to make sure I got the rest I needed at the time. Our hospital had very few rules and was VERY family friendly. Before I gave birth I requested that DD did not leave my room for any reason unless my DH was with her and there was never an issue. She had to leave my side 1 time right after she was born and DH was permitted to be with her at all times to make sure things went the way WE wanted them to.

I feel very blessed to have had the hospital birth experience I did because I have heard so many horror stories from others.
#146 of 146 Old 09-10-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
technically, the hospital policy was that i was supposed to put the baby in his bassinet if i went to sleep. (I could have him in my bed if i was awake, and i could have him in his bassinet in my room, but i wasn't supposed to have him in my bed if i was asleep). I was a first time mom, had never coslept before, and was nervous about him falling out of the narrow bed...
now that I know how amazingly aware i am of my baby, i would have smiled and nodded when they told me the rules, and then i would have coslept anyway.
They have rules to cover their own behinds. Occasionally someone drops a baby, and teh hospital doesn't want to get sued. BUT, if they tell you the rules, and you acknowledge that you have heard them, (and sign that they told you if they want you to!), but then nobody can force you to do anything. they told you, so they are covered...then you do waht you want.

oh yeah, if they come in and catch you co-sleeping and say 'youre not suppoed to do that' then you can just smile and say 'oh, i was just feeding him' or 'he was just falling asleep' or whatever...

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page